• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rejected delay compensation from GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenik45

Hello

Asking for any advice whether what my next steps would be for this...

Delay happened on 6 Feb. Sent compensation form + letter to GWR on 8 Feb. Got the response from GWR 13 Feb, rejecting the compensation.

More info can be found on the letter I sent. I'll attach them here as well as the reply from GWR and scanned copy of tickets.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions

Attachments

• RDG PAD tickets 6 Feb.jpg
    RDG PAD tickets 6 Feb.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 185
  • letter to GWR.docx
    13.4 KB · Views: 57
  • reply from gwr.jpg
    reply from gwr.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 242
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They are not running Delay Repay so compensation is only due when it is due to factors within the railway's control. Extreme weather obviously is not.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I caught up in the disruption aswell, and I only sent my form off on Thursday, so I'm probably going to receive the same disappointing news.
Surely It's the fault of the railway if the OHLE is so c**p that it cannot withstand a bit of wind!<D

ravenik45

I caught up in the disruption aswell, and I only sent my form off on Thursday, so I'm probably going to receive the same disappointing news.
Surely It's the fault of the railway if the OHLE is so c**p that it cannot withstand a bit of wind!<D

As per the MSE website on train delays (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/train-delays), OHLE do indeed fall WITHIN the train company's control.

They then blamed it on the bad weather just so they won't pay up :-x

najaB

Veteran Member
As per the MSE website on train delays OHLE do indeed fall WITHIN the train company's control.
If a train brings down the knitting - within the railway's control. If a airborne trampoline (yes, it happens!) brings it down - not within their control.

BestWestern

Established Member
Objects blown onto the wires during a well reported storm is hardly down to the railway :roll:

bnm

Established Member
I've managed to get compensation from GWR when it wasn't strictly allowed under the terms of their Passenger Charter. That involved appealing to their better nature.

From September 2016 GWR will be paying out in circumstances such as the OP's. That's when GWR move from Charter compensation to the almost industry standard Delay Repay.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've managed to get compensation from GWR when it wasn't strictly allowed under the terms of their Passenger Charter. That involved appealing to their better nature.

From September 2016 GWR will be paying out in circumstances such as the OP's. That's when GWR move from Charter compensation to the almost industry standard Delay Repay.

And about time too. I am astonished that any franchise is still allowed to be on Charter compensation rather than Delay Repay, especially when consumer groups and MPs are insisting that DR isn't generous enough.

ravenik45

how likely do you think I have a working case? I understand that I'm not entitled to anything, but trying to respond back wouldn't hurt. I just need to learn how to appeal to their better nature as you've mentioned.

How did you manage to appeal yours?

cactustwirly

Established Member
I would appeal because I was successful in getting compensation, (apparently it was a signal failure that caused the delay)

Status
Not open for further replies.