• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rejuvenation of a “lost” station – Manea: a case study

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
It's decades since I went over the Ely-Peterborough line, so I can't remember what Manea is like, but I seem to remember reading (perhaps in here) that it was a pretty desolate, windswept bit of fenland bog, and didn't deserve a better passenger service than the minimal two* trains each way per day that it had prior to December 2013. Weekdays only, of course.

(*I can't remember the exact service level - someone in here will know – but it was pretty much a minimum parly service. And if I've got that description mixed up with one for Shippea Hill, apols to Maneaanites.)

Whatever, looking at the latest ORR passenger usage figures for Manea surely shows what a difference a minimum passenger service and a decent-ish one can make.

From December 2013, someone (DfT? Local auhority?) decided it might be worth stopping a few more trains at Manea. I'm not sure if the current timetable was introduced in one fell swoop, but it was certainly improved. Today, Manea has twenty trains stopping (ten each way), mostly the 1 train per two hours Peterborough-Ipswich/Colchester trains, but these are augmented at peak times by a couple of XC Birmingham-Stansteds.

From 1999-2013 annual passenger estimates were mostly in the 2,500-3,000 range. (They actually varied between 1,000 – 4,000 - I suspect a lot of that depended on school kids - +/- one kid - +/- 500 entries on an annual total.)

Since Dec 2013, however, the numbers have improved strongly, more than tripling to 10,800 in 2014-15 – the first full year of the new service - and hitting 13,500, roughly 4.5 times the old average, last year.

Of course, this is from a low base, and it's still not exactly a huge number. In addition, inserting these stops adds 2 – 2.5 minutes to train schedules – so there is a cost to non-Manea passengers. But even without any additional trains, passenger numbers look on course to top 15,000 this year, and perhaps close to 20,000 by 2020. With such numbers, I doubt anyone would advocate a return to the former service.

If one extra west-bound train were added to give a decent commute to March & Peterborough (the ideal train would appear to be 1R66, the 06.52 – EMT Norwich-Liverpool, currently pass Manea at 07.54), and maybe a decorum of a Sunday service, say 3 or 4 trains each way, I'd have thought 25,000 pax per year, maybe even closer to 30,000, would be well within grasp by 2020.

Such results show what can be achieved at relatively little cost – certainly no capital expenditure – and prompts a look at some nearby stations. If tiny Manea can produce such numbers, what about Eccles Rd and Harling Rd up the Breckland line – let alone a new station at Soham? - that would need Capex, of course.

I don't think this would be tilting at windmills - I accept that nearby Shippea Hill, Lakenheath and Spooner Row are lost causes under current circumstances – but the Manea experience surely points to potential passenger growth from currently under-served stations at relatively low cost.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Was the increase in service tied in with the improvements courtesy of constructing platforms 6 and 7 at Peterborough? If so, then there is a lot of money involved! ;)

I do not disagree with your general point however, it is just sometimes harder to implement such ideas than appears.

Veteran Member
Just looking at Googlemaps Satellite view, I wonder if there has been a fair bit of housing development in the village, which is within walking distance of the station?
By comparison, the settlement at Eccles Road is minuscule, and Harling Road serves an industrial estate.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Just looking at Googlemaps Satellite view, I wonder if there has been a fair bit of housing development in the village, which is within walking distance of the station?

Possibly. According to Wikipedia, popn was 2,088 in 2011. There is some housing very close to the station, but the bulk of the villlage - well, the High Street - looks to be 3/4-1 mile distant? Should be no problem for yoofs (at least if they've not been brought up to take the car for anything over 100 yards) or any fit middle-ager, but I suspect older folk would like a lift there.

By comparison, the settlement at Eccles Road is minuscule, and Harling Road serves an industrial estate.

Maybe, but both stations have a similar service to the former 'as basic as it gets' service at Manea - and at times, better passenger figures historically. The service is "focused" (if you can call it that) on commuting to Norwich for the full day in the morning, and out late afternoon/17.30 ish. Yet Eccles Rd had 4,600 passengers in 2001-2. It has weakened in recent years, admittedly. Last year was just 1,300.
Harling Rd was averaging 4,000 for much of 2005 - 2010. Last year was 3,022. (2015-16 was poor - only 1,872). Certainly - on that showing - Harling Fr would appear to have a better base than Manea had for expansion.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't one factor limiting the expansion of services at the smaller Breckland stations the relatively tight turnaround times (Norwich ~10 mins, Cambridge ~14)? They have managed to squeeze Cambridge North into those trains, but unless the fabled Stansted extension ever materialises then it may be hard to fix.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Isn't one factor limiting the expansion of services at the smaller Breckland stations the relatively tight turnaround times (Norwich ~10 mins, Cambridge ~14)? They have managed to squeeze Cambridge North into those trains, but unless the fabled Stansted extension ever materialises then it may be hard to fix.

Yes, the standard Cambridge arrival time is about xx.59 and departure about xx.10 (with Cambridge North call).

The two morning Down services that call at the minor stations go at 0605 and 0700 (inc. Shippea Hill). The former only works as the unit overnights at Cambridge, and the latter because the Up working (being the first train) is off-pattern itself.

Similarly for the evening calls - e.g. the 17xx departure from Norwich picks up the extra calls, but the return from Cambridge is off-pattern at 1925 to accommodate them.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Yes, the standard Cambridge arrival time is about xx.59 and departure about xx.10 (with Cambridge North call).

The two morning Down services that call at the minor stations go at 0605 and 0700 (inc. Shippea Hill). The former only works as the unit overnights at Cambridge, and the latter because the Up working (being the first train) is off-pattern itself.

Similarly for the evening calls - e.g. the 17xx departure from Norwich picks up the extra calls, but the return from Cambridge is off-pattern at 1925 to accommodate them.
Aye and EMT Norwich to Liverpool departures also pick up additional calls, for example the 1548 Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street picks up Attleborough, Eccles Road and Harling Road, leaving 9mins earlier than standard to do so.

dk1

Veteran Member

The return at 19:25 (which is now 19:22) has nothing to do with the calling pattern up road. It's down to the peak workings through from Liverpool St/Kings Cross to Ely/Kings Lynn. It operates to the normal 19:10 pattern on Saturdays.

dk1

Veteran Member
Was the increase in service tied in with the improvements courtesy of constructing platforms 6 and 7 at Peterborough? If so, then there is a lot of money involved! ;)

I do not disagree with your general point however, it is just sometimes harder to implement such ideas than appears.

The new platforms at Peterborough certainly helped. Until then Ipswich services where allocated only a few minutes in platform 5 each hour & several had to trip into/out of Nene Sidings to free up capacity.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The new platforms at Peterborough certainly helped. Until then Ipswich services where allocated only a few minutes in platform 5 each hour & several had to trip into/out of Nene Sidings to free up capacity.
Didn't some of them also had a long wait at Ely, on account of there being no available platform at the time they would most logically be in Peterborough?

dk1

Veteran Member
Didn't some of them also had a long wait at Ely, on account of there being no available platform at the time they would most logically be in Peterborough?

Not too sure about that, but probably. A fair number of new houses have sprung up near Manea in the last 10yrs.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The return at 19:25 (which is now 19:22) has nothing to do with the calling pattern up road. It's down to the peak workings through from Liverpool St/Kings Cross to Ely/Kings Lynn. It operates to the normal 19:10 pattern on Saturdays.

Yes, you are right in the sense that the 1859 arrival from Norwich is near-standard pattern (well 1901 to be precise).

However, if it went at the standard 1912 departure slot, it would clash with an off-pattern Liverpool-Norwich service departing Ely. That is off pattern (thus later through Ely) as it has peak extra calls at Bingham and Aslockton for Nottingham commuters...

The 1810 does manage a standard pattern departure still inamongst the peak extras.

Timetables are fascinating things!

Established Member

They had to vacate Peteborough to clear the platform for the XC to Birmingham, then wait at Ely North Jn for the up Lynn. The extra platforms at Peterborough removed that requirement.

If the up Lynn was late, then the Ipswich train would go first and wait at Ely station instead.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

I wouldn't think Eccles Rd or Harling Rd justify an hourly service, and wouldn't advocate that. But if schedules could be tweaked* to enable just two more stops e/w per day - eg (in order of importance IMO)
(* yes, I realise there is the single track section south of Norwich, so easier said than done)

a) a train back from Norwich around mid-day (enabling folks to do a morning only trip to the city)
b) a train later in the morning into Norwich around 09.00 -10.00 (especially on a Saturday - shoppers and footie-sports fans won't normally want to catch the 07.xx to Norwich on a Weekend)
c) a train into Ely/Cambridge c 08.xx for commuting + a return departing Ely around 18.00

Even this would only mean four trains e/w per day - far fewer than Manea - but it would hugely improve the potential for local passengers. It wouldn't have to be the same service doing both stops, indeed, maybe it would be easier to share such stops with EMT trains, though I suppose EMT would hate to be so burdened.
If traffic then improved, you could try the icing on the cake

d) a down train, post lunch, into Norwich (enabling an afternoon visit to the city, and a return trip from Cambridge/Ely for morning-only visits.

bspahh

Established Member
https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/plans-for-a-112-space-car-park-at-manea-station-1-6681898 says that:

Fenland District Council has submitted a planning application for a 112-space car park at Manea station.
If given the go-ahead, a paddock on land north of Manea station will become a car park which will be accessed from Fodder Fen Road.

The application form also mentions a footpath link leading to the platform and landscaping.

A car park at Manea station was among a number of improvements Fenland District Council put forward in its masterplan for the district’s stations.

The council was awarded £9.5m from the Combined Authority and can tap into other funds to carry out the works, which include creating new station car parks, providing waiting shelters, building improvements and platform extensions.

The masterplan for Manea shows a car park south of the station, whereas the planning application validated on May 20 is for land to the north.

The planning application is at https://www.fenland.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=Q8XIE8HE03000&activeTab=summary
with this site plan
Manea_car_park.png

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Blimey, that's grand!

Although there must be swathe of Fenland villages in the area with poor transport links, for whom Manea would make a good railhead with such decent parking. Traffic that I suspect is just lost to rail entirely at present.

Class 170101

Established Member

Don't think they visited Nene for a long time even before Platforms 6 and 7 were built

Not too sure about that, but probably. A fair number of new houses have sprung up near Manea in the last 10yrs.

Waited a lot on the Up Road at Ely North Jn as has been alluded to above by 306024 to clear out of Peterborough, I seem to recall some waiting at Peterborough East Jn westbound as well as at Ely Dock Jn, the latter still happens. Still it will be useful time if Soham ever opens.

Bunnymomma

Can any of you help me identify the lines that run through Manea by any chance please? Ive found an Ely-Peterborough line and Ely-Norwich I think? is this correct?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Can any of you help me identify the lines that run through Manea by any chance please? Ive found an Ely-Peterborough line and Ely-Norwich I think? is this correct?
It's on the line between Ely and Peterborough, which is used by passenger and freight trains going to many destinations beyond those places (including Norwich).

Status
Not open for further replies.