• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reliability of TPEX Glasgow-Man Aiport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'll echo what others have said re: reliability and running the risk of missing your flight, but on top of all that, this train is notorious for being one of the most overcrowded in the country, so even if it's on time, you're likely to have a pretty lousy journey.

Its only overcrowded from Wigan/Preston to Mancehster Piccadilly. Boarding at Glasgow, alighting at the Airport should be stress-free.

...But needless to say, I'd strongly support travelling the night before for this one. Saves stress and a ludicrously early alarm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

totally

Bearing in mind that between Glasgow Central and Lancaster, there is a lot of running time for this particular train.

An example being that it pulls over to one side at Carstairs to allow the 04:28 London Euston to overtake, and also has a 20 minute layover at Lockerbie and around 10 minutes or so at Carlisle, which departs around 06:25 or thereabouts. I believe this is to allow the flexibility of a rail replacement bus if there are engineering works, as the journey time by road between Glasgow and Carlisle is roughly 2 hours.

An alternative is to use the 04:28 London Euston to Preston (arrive 06:54), and change to the 07:07 ex Blackpool North which arrives at Manchester Airport at 08:23.
The 07 07 ex Blackpool is a Northern Service, surely risky!

farci

Thanks for all your advice. I decided to travel to Piccadilly the evening before for the very reasonable sum of £13 (with Railcard), and splash £49 on a hotel inc breakfast to avoid the stress

Journeyman

Established Member
Thanks for all your advice. I decided to travel to Piccadilly the evening before for the very reasonable sum of £13 (with Railcard), and splash £49 on a hotel inc breakfast to avoid the stress

I think you've made a wise choice there. It'll certainly mean you're much more relaxed and refreshed by the time you board your flight.

dggar

On Thursday 12/7 I plan to take the 04:22 Transpennine Express service to Manchester Airport arriving 08:47. My flight from MAN closes check-in at 09:35 in Terminal 1.

If the train arrives on-time I will have no problems. Does anybody have information on the reliability of this service given the present timetable difficulties?

Thanks for any advice
Even if the trains run to time that seems far to short a time for checking in unless you've no luggage and you are flying to another UK mainland airport. I've spent over 60 minutes getting through security at Terminal 1.

mattmtfc

If using the sleeper make sure you reserve a seat. When I’ve travelled back down on it from Falkirk after a rangers game the guards moan if you don’t have reservation some will refuse to let you on.

route101

Established Member
If using the sleeper make sure you reserve a seat. When I’ve travelled back down on it from Falkirk after a rangers game the guards moan if you don’t have reservation some will refuse to let you on.

Was there many getting on at Falkirk? I thought it was reservations compulsory other than Fort William bit

scrapy

Established Member
That was only between Wigan and Manchester that this train was one of the busiest in the country. Now it no longer stops at Wigan it's dead as far as Lancaster with standing passengers from Preston but not too bad. Certainly if your already seated will be reasonably comfortable but agreed too little time for that flight.

Security queues at Manchester a bit hit n miss too. Also be aware many travel insurance companies
only pay out for train delays if you allowed the airlines recommended check in time not their minimum so I'd check the small print.

Scotrail84

Established Member

The guards are perfectly entitled to refuse you travel if you o not have a reservation so there can be no complaints.

Seating capacity of 31, the sleepers cannot go over that, no standing in vestibules, no sitting in doorways or the lounge car. That includes the day services on the HML and the WHL, no more than 31 in the seats period.

WatcherZero

Established Member
That was only between Wigan and Manchester that this train was one of the busiest in the country. Now it no longer stops at Wigan it's dead as far as Lancaster with standing passengers from Preston but not too bad. Certainly if your already seated will be reasonably comfortable but agreed too little time for that flight.

Security queues at Manchester a bit hit n miss too. Also be aware many travel insurance companies
only pay out for train delays if you allowed the airlines recommended check in time not their minimum so I'd check the small print.

Yeah governments been skimping on providing border force agents and so they've sometimes had to close the quick lines and some of the scanners, also not helped by 50% of them taking time off whenever there was an England match on (Yes really!). Unfortunately the staffing is beyond the airports control and it isn't the only airport suffering.

dk1

Veteran Member
The guards are perfectly entitled to refuse you travel if you o not have a reservation so there can be no complaints.

Seating capacity of 31, the sleepers cannot go over that, no standing in vestibules, no sitting in doorways or the lounge car. That includes the day services on the HML and the WHL, no more than 31 in the seats period.

Back in the day I've caught the Plymouth-Glasgow/Edinburgh on a Friday to find people using every available space in the brake van to kip as so full.

scrapy

Established Member
Yeah governments been skimping on providing border force agents and so they've sometimes had to close the quick lines and some of the scanners, also not helped by 50% of them taking time off whenever there was an England match on (Yes really!). Unfortunately the staffing is beyond the airports control and it isn't the only airport suffering.
The number of security agents is within the airports control. UK Border Force shortages generally only affect arrivals

route101

Established Member

Im sure ive heard people say that there has been standing on the WHL sleeper seated coach .

CHAPS2034

The Border Force do NOT control the security procedure going outbound - that is fully under the control of the Airport and at MAN the X-rays and other scanning devices are operated by Airport staff. The procedures are mandated and audited by DfT.

Border Force can if necessary check documents on outbound flights but usually choose not to do so.

Good to see that the OP decided to come down the night before as the security queues at MAN outbound have been horrendous in the last few weeks such that Burnham has given the Airport a public b*llocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.