• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Relics of the National Bus Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yesterday, I was out and about in Gloucestershire. I noticed one bus stop flag where someone had removed the Stagecoach logo to show the original Bristol flag and NBC symbol. Later in Gloucester bus station, there is a sign for drivers that has a very faded NBC symbol.

Now I know there's web pages devoted to Network South East relics but was wondering how much NBC era stuff is still out there.

Obviously, don't give too much detail on locations otherwise some "enthusiast" will go down and remove it but does the NBC still exist elsewhere? I did cycle past an Eastern Counties one north of Bury last month which made me chuckle as the NBC outlives First there!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I was a bit gutted last year when a random pole used to hold a parking zone sign was felled by the local council, it still had a Hampshire Bus and NBC sticker still on it from its former Bus Stop days! There's a few stops around Hampshire where NBC or Hampshire Bus still tries to creep through.

ooo

Yesterday, I was out and about in Gloucestershire. I noticed one bus stop flag where someone had removed the Stagecoach logo to show the original Bristol flag and NBC symbol. Later in Gloucester bus station, there is a sign for drivers that has a very faded NBC symbol.

Now I know there's web pages devoted to Network South East relics but was wondering how much NBC era stuff is still out there.

Obviously, don't give too much detail on locations otherwise some "enthusiast" will go down and remove it but does the NBC still exist elsewhere? I did cycle past an Eastern Counties one north of Bury last month which made me chuckle as the NBC outlives First there!!

Did you get a photo?

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
In a village near Aberystwyth there is a 1970's NBC metal splash shelter... strange thing is it's a red one... and the area was Crosville territory (green)...

I wonder if anyone could explain why?

6Gman

Established Member
NBC?

Until recently (not been that way for a while) there was a pre-NBC enamelled North Western bus stop flag on a post in the hills near Leek!

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I get you now.

Can't help on the colour though - would it be a local authority thing?

not that I'm aware... Ceredigion shelters tend to be black or dark green... in any case this shelter looks as though it hasn't been repainted since it was installed... what little paint is left on it is nearer pink than red!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There are a few Roadcar / NBC Lincolnshire stop flags that exist in northern Lincolnshire, evidence is usually a bit of green behind the Traveline sticker. There is or rather was (no idea if it still there not not) a flag which sported Lincolnshire on it near Crowle, there is another one which suvives in a village near Goole.

I very much doubt anything NBC lives on in Yorkshire, as everywhere has either new stop flags or the shelters have been replaced although I could be wrong.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There are a few Roadcar / NBC Lincolnshire stop flags that exist in northern Lincolnshire, evidence is usually a bit of green behind the Traveline sticker. There is or rather was (no idea if it still there not not) a flag which sported Lincolnshire on it near Crowle, there is another one which suvives in a village near Goole.

I very much doubt anything NBC lives on in Yorkshire, as everywhere has either new stop flags or the shelters have been replaced although I could be wrong.

You're right that the elves have been busy in Yorkshire. SYPTE and Metro were very good at that, and then NYCC decided they'd put a load of new stops and flags up with timetable cases to highlight how many bus services they support.... ;)

However, if you know where to look.... there's a couple of weathered United NBC ones in the Richmond area, and there was a West Yorkshire one near Tadcaster. Also, York has a quite a few West Yorkshire era flags though the fleetname is buried under various subsequents stickers. Up until the mid 1990s, you'd have been forgiven that the NBC United still existed in much of north North Yorkshire!!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You're right that the elves have been busy in Yorkshire. SYPTE and Metro were very good at that, and then NYCC decided they'd put a load of new stops and flags up with timetable cases to highlight how many bus services they support.... ;)

However, if you know where to look.... there's a couple of weathered United NBC ones in the Richmond area, and there was a West Yorkshire one near Tadcaster. Also, York has a quite a few West Yorkshire era flags though the fleetname is buried under various subsequents stickers. Up until the mid 1990s, you'd have been forgiven that the NBC United still existed in much of north North Yorkshire!!

There are a few signposts around West Yorkshire that still have the original WYPTE logo (the "rose" formed from a circle of "wywywywy"). There's one on Dewsbury ring road near the bus station. Also a few bus shelters where the red paint has scraped off revealing the old Verona green.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There are a few signposts around West Yorkshire that still have the original WYPTE logo (the "rose" formed from a circle of "wywywywy"). There's one on Dewsbury ring road near the bus station. Also a few bus shelters where the red paint has scraped off revealing the old Verona green.

I know the one you mean as I've seen it, I do recall seeing a West Riding sign at Castleford which has since gone when the bus station was referbed.

At the Inverness Road turning circle in Garforth there was an old WYPTE sign there, sadly it has since been swiped.

Andyh82

Established Member

I believe road signs to Bradford Interchange refer to it as the 'Metro Travel Interchange' which was its original name when it opened.

You don't get many bus shelters old enough to reveal green, almost the entire bus shelter stock Metro have replaced in the last 15-20 years or so.

Preston Bus Station is like a museum of history with signs pointing to the PCTD or RMS Canteens/Inspectors Office and the like, no old logos I don't think though.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe road signs to Bradford Interchange refer to it as the 'Metro Travel Interchange' which was its original name when it opened.

You don't get many bus shelters old enough to reveal green, almost the entire bus shelter stock Metro have replaced in the last 15-20 years or so.

Preston Bus Station is like a museum of history with signs pointing to the PCTD or RMS Canteens/Inspectors Office and the like, no old logos I don't think though.

Indeed it is

Here's a double relic - NBC era United Counties hidden by old Stagecoach

Attachments

• DSC_4184 (2).jpg
    DSC_4184 (2).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 38

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

The outside stops at Dewsbury bus station date back to green era, they're only used now by very late/early services but there are patches of green paint in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.