• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Relocating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankywhale

Hi,

I have my dmi for GWR Plymouth next month. I would prefer to move to Torquay as my girlfriend grew up there and my parents have recently retired to Sidmouth so it's kind of perfect that the opportunity for Plymouth not only came up, but I have got this far into the process. It's just under an hour commute.

Anyway just wondering from your experience do you think managers look negatively towards relocation. I know it would be easier for them to hire any number of potentials who already live in the area over someone who is saying they are prepared to move (I currently live in Bristol).

It might be worth adding that I've lived in 4 different countries in the last 6 years so moving somewhere new to me really isn't a big deal at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danetime

Hey!

No, they don't mind people relocating for the job. I said I would move closer to the depot during my DMI and I passed and I believe somebody this year moved from Newcastle way to Exeter to start as a trainee driver. However, Torquay may not exactly be what they have in mind. I quite regularly do Torquay to Plymouth and in rush hour traffic its more than an hour.

When they ask about relocating or how can they depend on you. They are looking for how can you as an individual make yourself more dependable (that's the impression I got). Moving to just inside or on the limit of the hour mark won't look as good as saying you're going to move down the street within walking distance. Saying your moving to Plymouth and as close to the station as possible will look better because you are reducing the risks of running late. TOC's don't care if the traffic was bad or there were roadworks on route. This is a job where being late can cost the TOC's a lot of money in fines ( I believe) so making yourself more dependable and reliable will speak volumes.

My advice is to say you will move to Plymouth and move there if offered a position.

Feel free to DM if you have any questions :)

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

From personal experience I had no issue whatsoever relocating. I lived in exeter when I had my dmi for my job (I actually lived in york when I applied and stated this on the application. The job was nowhere near the 2 but I did a little bit of housing reasesrch, not much, just a little so I had something to talk about when they asked the more personal questions.
Needless to say I passed and have been happy driving for nearly 5 years now. All the best

jezzer34

Hi,

I have my dmi for GWR Plymouth next month. I would prefer to move to Torquay as my girlfriend grew up there and my parents have recently retired to Sidmouth so it's kind of perfect that the opportunity for Plymouth not only came up, but I have got this far into the process. It's just under an hour commute.

Anyway just wondering from your experience do you think managers look negatively towards relocation. I know it would be easier for them to hire any number of potentials who already live in the area over someone who is saying they are prepared to move (I currently live in Bristol).

It might be worth adding that I've lived in 4 different countries in the last 6 years so moving somewhere new to me really isn't a big deal at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
i have my dmi next month for Plym and i would also need to relocate. im not too worried have made that clear in my application.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Morning

Regarding relocating - has anyone had any difficulty with finding places to live?

I'm originally from Manchester but presently working in York on a FTC in control. Property prices in York are really expensive and I've managed to rent a room until May which isn't too bad for money each month. One of my control colleagues actually referred to the Golden Triangle - Leeds, Harrogate & York which is where house prices are ridiculous. He's from York himself but has settled in Doncaster where you get quite a lot for your money!

I've considered jobs in the South - I have a friend who lives in Bristol and the property prices there are just as expensive as they are in London. On that note, having worked in London myself 15 years ago, I would never live there again. Other key TOC places like Swindon, Reading, Exeter & Basingstoke appear to be off limits in getting a decent house/flat if you are on a average salary.

I suppose if you relocate with a partner, and there are two incomes to bolster a bigger mortgage and of course somewhere decent to live then it's not necessarily a problem. However, if you are on your own is relocating to the south easy or hard?

I just find certain places seem to be impossible to live if you relocate on your own.

CJ

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hard. While there are islands of high prices in the North (e.g. Cheshire, south Manchester, Harrogate) it's mostly much more affordable than the South, particularly the South East, where it is really expensive and living on your own is barely viable or completely non-viable.

Bristol is a bit pricey but is not as expensive as London, unless you consider e.g. Watford to be London. It is also, apart from some bad estates, much nicer than London.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
My friend lived in a suburb of Bristol called Kingswood which is nice but he has since relocated to Keynsham which is just as pleasant but as I've said the house prices there are ridiculous - he has a modest semi detached home with his wife but the price of it is equally ridiculous. Fortunately both of them earn decent money but my friend has said a few times he would struggle if he was on his own. He's mentioned a couple of areas in Bristol that are affordable but are to he avoided because they are quite notorious areas of the city.

On that note - I've considered GWR roles but been put off by the cost of living down south. On the subject of Watford, it falls in the M25 circle but is part of Hertfordshire, but even the home counties outside of London are stupidly priced in most areas sadly.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.