• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Relocation for a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA1

Hi all,

This thread is aimed at those who have relocated for a job as a TOC I’ve been successful with have recently asked me to consider relocation and potentially other depots within the London area.

Whilst I know some people have moved to extreme lengths I wanted to know:
What did you consider before moving e.g family?
How are/were your costs of living whilst on the training salary?
Do you have any regrets?

This is an exciting opportunity so if anyone has any experiences/advice about relocating for a job I’d love to hear. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Hi all,

This thread is aimed at those who have relocated for a job as a TOC I’ve been successful with have recently asked me to consider relocation and potentially other depots within the London area.

Whilst I know some people have moved to extreme lengths I wanted to know:
What did you consider before moving e.g family?
How are/were your costs of living whilst on the training salary?
Do you have any regrets?

This is an exciting opportunity so if anyone has any experiences/advice about relocating for a job I’d love to hear. Thanks!
I didn't re locate , but I would say just do it. Only you know about your own particular family life and financial outgoings. Perhaps it may be tough while training , sure you won't regret it though.

ComUtoR

Established Member
House prices are about to tank. Interest rates are at an all time low. There is a bit of market potential here so a move could be beneficial.

When my Daughter clears secondary school. I will look to move. My kids are at the age where a move would be detrimental. However, I have put them first for a long while now and my career is very stable. I used to live 4 minutes from my depot and tbh that was incredible. I moved further away but still within commuting distance but it does eat into my time. Work wise, my only priority is how close to the depot and how much I get paid.

Family wise, I want stability. I've learned that kids are resilient little buggers and that they have adapted over the years. When they were younger it didn't matter but they are at GCSE age so they need stability. The second the youngest hits 17. I'm looking to move and bin my current TOC.

You need to look at the long term gains. Will my family be better off, will a short term lose in earnings and short term hit financially pay off in the long term? We have plenty of new Drivers who have taken huge cuts in pay for the long term benefit of being a Driver. Will a jump in long term salary get you a higher mortgage ? Are travel costs a factor ? (I travel 30 miles a day)

Mental health is important too. I've changed jobs a few times but since becoming a Driver I've never looked back. I don't specifically dislike my TOC but neither do I enjoy working for them. If you have an 'exciting opportunity' then you may look back at some point with regret. Long term, this isn't a good thing. An exciting move can refresh your life. It can add a boost to your relationships and it can have a huge boost to your mental health.

When opportunity knocks, take it.

DA1

House prices are about to tank. Interest rates are at an all time low. There is a bit of market potential here so a move could be beneficial.

When my Daughter clears secondary school. I will look to move. My kids are at the age where a move would be detrimental. However, I have put them first for a long while now and my career is very stable. I used to live 4 minutes from my depot and tbh that was incredible. I moved further away but still within commuting distance but it does eat into my time. Work wise, my only priority is how close to the depot and how much I get paid.

Family wise, I want stability. I've learned that kids are resilient little buggers and that they have adapted over the years. When they were younger it didn't matter but they are at GCSE age so they need stability. The second the youngest hits 17. I'm looking to move and bin my current TOC.

You need to look at the long term gains. Will my family be better off, will a short term lose in earnings and short term hit financially pay off in the long term? We have plenty of new Drivers who have taken huge cuts in pay for the long term benefit of being a Driver. Will a jump in long term salary get you a higher mortgage ? Are travel costs a factor ? (I travel 30 miles a day)

Mental health is important too. I've changed jobs a few times but since becoming a Driver I've never looked back. I don't specifically dislike my TOC but neither do I enjoy working for them. If you have an 'exciting opportunity' then you may look back at some point with regret. Long term, this isn't a good thing. An exciting move can refresh your life. It can add a boost to your relationships and it can have a huge boost to your mental health.

This is an amazing response, I really appreciate it and definitely provided me with some great thoughts.

Yep that's me im just about to drop 16k to train as a driver. Yikes:D

387star

On Moderation
I relocated for the training which was an utter farce as it turned out not to be at the home depot location due to the depot not being live.

I quickly relocated back home. Keep your licence clean and moving is easy unless you are wanting an outer SWR/Southeastern/Southern depot which have long waiting lists.

Rockhopper

Whilst its true that interest rates are at an all time low the main lenders have recently (yesterday) effectively stopped the mortgage market buy pulling out of offering new deals. The companies that are still lending are looking for 25% equity or more. Some have gone as far as 40%....

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm interested in buying a house towards the end of the year hopefully when this chaos is behind us all. I have a feeling mortgages will have low interest rates for quite a while after this & house prices will not go up for a while either. CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.