• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining EMR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan1852

Services are being delayed around East Midlands Parkway due to trespassers on the line.

Edit: There is also a fault with the signalling system near Chesterfield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Belated thanks for this. In the end, I bought a ticket to Luton. Helpfully it left from P1 and the 1434 HST from P2 so I was able to get a good look. Looked like train reasonably busy with enthusiasts and a fair few milling around on platform. Got a short video of 43102 leaving (at rear) which is the one I came to see. Uneventful trip up to Luton and back on the Thameslink. First day out on trains since September, good to do so.

PS if anyone is traveling on a HST today and can request a spare window label I would be happy to pay postage.
I may be able to help you with a spare window label. Send me a personal message.

Ethan1852

Edit: There is also a fault with the signalling system near Chesterfield.

Update: The line is now Blocked at Chesterfield to allow engineers to try and repair the signalling system.

From EMR's website

Their investigations have been ongoing for a few hours now so a line block is now taking place to try and fix the issue.
Trains running through the area in the Sheffield direction will be diverted which will add delays of up to 25 minutes between Chesterfield and Sheffield.

Last edited:

LTJ87

I was travelling on a train out of St Pancras this morning and there was a quite a crowd by the HST on Platform 4.

As a regular user of the MML for over 20 years I'll certainly miss these trains. It's a great shame many have not been able to see them given a fitting send off.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I too am hoping to join from Sheffield to Leeds! Currently on the penultimate HST routed via Nottingham.

james60059

Any idea why?

My guess is so 43102 can lead this evening out of St Pancras

I believe from one of the gen groups I'm on that EMR control wanted the IC one to lead on leaving St. Pancras, hence the jolly along the Old Road. Despite being 13 minutes late or so it made that up easily with it's fester in Nottingham. Even more so, the sun gods were smiling at Cossington when she passed us at 10:03 8-)

BRX

Established Member
I went along to watch the last departure from st pancras. Quite a low key event for the last ever HST leaving the capital and nothing like the scenes at Paddington or Kings cross for the last trains there. Very little ceremony for this one.

More hi vis jacketed staff and BTP than enthusiasts, once everyone had boarded the train. Despite the really rather small number of spectators (maybe 20 or 30 at most) they weren't letting anyone onto the platform, which seemed a bit mean spirited to me but there you go. So we just watched the rear power car disappear off up the platform and then everyone shuffled off.

_toommm_

Established Member
Sheffield had probably 30 or 40 on Platform 1, then 10 or 15 on Platform 2. Very friendly driver game some toots on the horn too.

rosschap

Saw 43102 pass St Albans City earlier. Complete with a plate on the front declaring the last HST from London :smile:

Attachments

• 0B62776F-EBFD-4D9D-938B-24B64F57BC98.jpeg
    0B62776F-EBFD-4D9D-938B-24B64F57BC98.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117

cineandy

I went along to watch the last departure from st pancras. Quite a low key event for the last ever HST leaving the capital and nothing like the scenes at Paddington or Kings cross for the last trains there. Very little ceremony for this one.

More hi vis jacketed staff and BTP than enthusiasts, once everyone had boarded the train. Despite the really rather small number of spectators (maybe 20 or 30 at most) they weren't letting anyone onto the platform, which seemed a bit mean spirited to me but there you go. So we just watched the rear power car disappear off up the platform and then everyone shuffled off.
Thanks a million for the post, this has put me out of my misery. After seeing a video of the last HST, complete with headboard, I wished i'd made the effort to going to St Pancras but thankfully so glad I chose not too travel, given no one was allowed to venture onto the platform. Quite a sad end indeed, historic occasion lost, due to mean spirited personnel. Yes we are in covid times, however, thousands are allowed to demonstrate in London today, and attend a football match, yet a few enthusiast's cannot witness/video/photograph social history/end of an era...

BRX

Established Member
I can understand why they'd not want to actively encourage loads of people to show up, and if there had been a big or rowdy crowd gathering I'd have understood not letting anyone through. It was such a small number of people though, and hardly an assembly of troublemakers, it did seem a bit over the top. Hopefully the train will get a decent reception and send off at Leeds.

Eloise

Mean spirited personnel is harsh. Safety has to come first on the railway. They couldn't predict who was going to attend in what numbers. Based on what I've heard the last train may have be low key but it's not been too difficult to find out the info has it.

Also remember there was the small matter of a football match going on so other things occurring as well.

cineandy

Mean spirited personnel is harsh. Safety has to come first on the railway. They couldn't predict who was going to attend in what numbers. Based on what I've heard the last train may have be low key but it's not been too difficult to find out the info has it.

Also remember there was the small matter of a football match going on so other things occurring as well.
They could of used there initiative, only 20-30 at St Pancras as the thread points out, hardly a safety issue.

T-Karmel

They could of used there initiative, only 20-30 at St Pancras as the thread points out, hardly a safety issue.
If decision was made higher up by management who works M-F 9-5, then there wasn't even a person to overule it for those 30 people. No one will take that responsibility in that case.

Eloise

Maybe, or maybe they just wanted to keep things safe and had other issues to sort as well. Maintaining social distance at the end of the platform would be tricky. You don't know what else was going on nor the reasons for the decision.

Anyway based on what I can see the last one had the XC HST behind although that's going via Donny. Not long to go now.

BRX

Established Member
Yeah, I don't want to imply that any individual staff were necessarily being mean spirited; I'm aware that a decision was probably made at management level that no ceremony was to be permitted and that's what seems a little mean spirited.

Really, it's not inherently unsafe for a certain number of people to be present on a railway platform while a train leaves; this happens at hundreds of stations every minute of every day. Plus, the ratio of staff and police to spectators was very high and would have allowed things to be supervised in a very controlled way. I think it would have been quite possible, if someone at the appropriate level had wanted to, to take a decision that eg. a maximum number of people, X, could be allowed onto the platform after passengers had boarded, with no significant level of risk of any kind. To give some idea of the numbers we are talking about here are a couple of photos taken in the 10 or 15 minutes before departure. I don't think there were even 20 people.

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 22.51.03.jpgScreenshot 2021-05-15 at 22.51.27.jpg

Understandable to some extent in current context but still rather sad. I'm glad I went along to the Paddington and Kings Cross finales where there was much more of a sense of occasion and it was nice to see staff enjoying things too, getting their photos taken with the train and so on.

Anyway here it is. Last ever HST to depart London in regular service.

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 22.55.33.jpg

WesternLancer

Established Member
Saw 43102 pass St Albans City earlier. Complete with a plate on the front declaring the last HST from London :smile:
nice to see that pic - thanks for posting!

Yeah, I don't want to imply that any individual staff were necessarily being mean spirited; I'm aware that a decision was probably made at management level that no ceremony was to be permitted and that's what seems a little mean spirited.

Really, it's not inherently unsafe for a certain number of people to be present on a railway platform while a train leaves; this happens at hundreds of stations every minute of every day. Plus, the ratio of staff and police to spectators was very high and would have allowed things to be supervised in a very controlled way. I think it would have been quite possible, if someone at the appropriate level had wanted to, to take a decision that eg. a maximum number of people, X, could be allowed onto the platform after passengers had boarded, with no significant level of risk of any kind. To give some idea of the numbers we are talking about here are a couple of photos taken in the 10 or 15 minutes before departure. I don't think there were even 20 people.

View attachment 96345View attachment 96346

Understandable to some extent in current context but still rather sad. I'm glad I went along to the Paddington and Kings Cross finales where there was much more of a sense of occasion and it was nice to see staff enjoying things too, getting their photos taken with the train and so on.

Anyway here it is. Last ever HST to depart London in regular service.

View attachment 96347
Good to see the pics - tend to agree with your analysis too. Plenty more people than that at the platform end at St P on friday ahead of the departure of the HST with no staff worried about the situation or the level of social distancing (which was fine for an open air area).

Just looked at RTT for the 20.02 from St P - some very accurate timekeeping recorded for the run!

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Nice early arrival into Leeds made an exact three-hour journey. Lots of enthusiasts and several staff members there to see it off:

1422508D-61A3-42A9-A772-5B1476B5884E.jpegC4429298-1CCD-42F4-BFD1-C645E6B0E168.jpegB04F4DA1-4EC2-4615-BD19-5F2866560E6C.jpegA573B2BC-040B-4D56-A7A4-5C61136E2C4F.jpeg

mgc_bb

Someone was one the platform for the send off this evening staff maybe

nice clip of the last STP 20:02

Status
Not open for further replies.