Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by cactustwirly, 15 May 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

There is one here:-

43093 out today

43093 + GW04 48112 48111 48110 49104 + 43186

5D02 04:30 Laira to Exeter St Davids
    2D02 06:00 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Parkway

2C65 08:12 Bristol Parkway to Taunton
    2W08 09:36 Taunton to Weston SM

5U14 10:10 Weston SM to Taunton
    2U14 11:04 Taunton to Cardiff

2C79 14:00 Cardiff to Taunton
    2U24 16:08 Taunton to Cardiff

2C89 19:00 Cardiff to Taunton
    5C89 21:04 Taunton to St Phillips Marsh

This thread is for diagrams. This post, if you don't mind me mentioning it, should have been in the "Tops Request" or the HSTGT1 thread which is specifically for these trains. Don't take this too hard, it is meant to be guidance rather than criticism.

2. QuestRail

QuestRail Member

Apologies, noted :) That diagram actually works out very well for me though, I haven't seen 43093 and at a perfect time to get home - thanks!

3. Private Baxter

Private Baxter Established Member

Thank you for your response, and good to know it was full. I've not known that to happen on that service. Will take your advice about booking ahead, I gather others have the same idea! Anyway appreciate this is moving off topic, so thanks again for your advice.

4. CharlesR

CharlesR Member

I think that I have no doubt had my final HST back in November. Such a shame as at the moment I don’t see a way I can travel on one. Good trains with a good (in my opinion) replacement.

5. nat67

nat67 On Moderation

Can you not get out for LNER, EMT, XC, GWR, HT or SR then.

6. CharlesR

CharlesR Member

I certainly could do all the others, however I am fairly busy at the moment and I feel that the GWR ones are unique to me after spending a lot of my childhood on them.

7. 50Fan91

50Fan91 Member

HST diagrams through to the 18th May are very nearly finalised - just a couple of dates where the STP diagrams haven't been nailed down.

As of this post, 11th April, no route across the GWR has seen its last 2+8 HST yet, with the exception of Newquay and Pembroke Dock which sadly won't see scheduled 2+8s visiting again.

Gen will be confirmed as soon as in a position to do so, as I can appreciate that the interest in final workings is huge.

8. nat67

nat67 On Moderation

Can you not do one out of Paddington at least.

9. WesternLancer

WesternLancer Member

Hi all, just joined this forum, so I'd like to start by thanking people for all the helpful posts on this thread, very much appreciated.

I'd welcome advice / opinions. It's rather a long time since I've enjoyed WR routes having lived away from the area for a long time. I'm keen to enjoy some longer journeys in the comfort of an HST before regular services end on May 18th. Obviously cost wise that means discounted Advance tickets are attractive. However, that then runs the obvious risk of a set swap / diagram change meaning I've got a ticket on a train that can't be 100% guaranteed to be an HST on the day.

Noting the vital diagram info do people have any views at to whether it is worth the risk of buying Advance and hoping for the best or instead, turn up to Paddington early in the day, clock what is going on haulage wise, and buy walk up Off Peak / Super Off peak etc (I'd mainly be doing this at weekends) tickets to whatever destination the HST in the platform is heading for and jump on?

I'd be looking at services from Paddington to: Plymouth / Bristol / Swansea-Carmarthern given the diagrams listed.

As I say - more interested in a long run than riding on mutliple different sets (when a Thames Ranger would obvioulsy be the ideal ticket).

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

10. WesternLancer

WesternLancer Member

Hi Private Baxter - just in case this helps re dining on an HST during the final weeks. Keen to do the same I selected a train from the diagrams listed on this thread with an HST listed (so not many to choose from!) and booked a reasonably priced 1st Advance ticket to gaurantee at least being in 1st. The GW website says you can pre book dining ahead of travel (via GW customer services, note the phone options on the Pullman web page are slightly out of date now). I rang, helpful person took my train time, date, e-mail and phone number, explained that it needed a manager to pre book a seat in the restaurant car, and I would get e-mailed back with a confirmation or rung back if a problem meeting my request.

Just had the e-mail saying:
    We are delighted to confirm your Pullman Dining reservation.
    Now you can look forward to a fantastic Lunch and dinner menu on board our luxury silver service restaurant.
    Thank you again for choosing to dine with us and we hope you enjoy this unique experience.
    Best wishes,
    Your Pullman Dining Team

It does not detail a seat so presume they just no numbers. I guess had I not had a 1st class ticket they might not have accepted my request since it's 'if space available' for Std Class.

Fingers crossed the diagrams don't change!

11. Peter C

Peter C Member

Apologies if this has been asked many times before, but I just want to get my head around it.
    1) What is happening to the HSTs which aren't going up to Scotrail after HST diagrams end 100% on the 18th of May?
    2) According to the diagrams which I have found on this forum, the remaining GWR HST diagrams are only valid until the 17th of May, one day before the 18th, when they are apparently going to end. What's up there?

Thanks,
    -Peter

12. FGW_DID

FGW_DID Established Member

That’s the SX diagrams, so finish Fri 17/05.
    18/05 is a Saturday so will be the SO diagrams which unsurprisingly are valid until the 18th!
    The SuO diagrams finish the previous Sunday (12/05)

13. Peter C

Peter C Member

Oh OK. Thanks.

-Peter

14. 43096

43096 Established Member

From the 119 power cars that GWR had, 24 are being retained for use with the sliding door sets and 54 have already gone to ScotRail. The rest go off-lease with no future homes, a process that is now underway. Angel owned vehicles are going to Ely, Porterbrook cars to Long Marston.

15. Peter C

Peter C Member

Oh OK. So, GWR are keeping some HSTs for sliding door sets? I'm assuming that these will be in Devon/Cornwall.
    Also, would the power cars which are going to Long Marston be going up the Cotswold Line? When do these movements start?
    It's sad that some are eventually just going to be scrapped.

-Peter

16. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

The sliding door short HSTs (so me in use)are intended to work between Cardiff and Penzance but not necessarily in one go.

17. WesternLancer

WesternLancer Member

The Devon Cornwall ones are all listed on the frequently requested diagrams page on this site under GW, below the weekday 'conventional' HST times. The HSTs going into store are generally reported in the railway press as to destinations / locations they are being stored at, albeit after they have got there in most cases.

18. Peter C

Peter C Member

OK. Thanks.

-Peter

19. nat67

nat67 On Moderation

The Angel owned power cars are going to be kept should I say better than Porterbrook. Why I say this, is that HUul trains are using the Angel ones and some should still be around for a few months at least.

20. Peter C

Peter C Member

OK - so Angel are going to be keeping theirs and looking after them because they may be used on Hull Trains, but Porterbrook's power cars won't be as well looked after because they have no use. Interesting.
    -Peter

21. nat67

nat67 On Moderation

Yes that's correct. Porterbrook really don't give a monkies.

22. Peter C

Peter C Member

That's not the sort of thing a railway enthusiast likes to hear! :)

-Peter

23. nat67

nat67 On Moderation

But it's true though.

24. FGW_DID

FGW_DID Established Member

Can we keep the thread about the remaining diagrams please? I'm sure there are already threads about what the future has in store for the HST

25. SWTrainspottin

SWTrainspottin Member

Luckily there will be a 2+4 to Newquay on summer Saturdays this year so thankfully Newquay hasn’t seen the last of HSTs yet!

26. Peter C

Peter C Member

Apologies.

-Peter

27. Peter C

Peter C Member

Fair point.

-Peter

28. 43096

43096 Established Member

What's your source for that? Because it rather sounds like something made up.

29. QuestRail

QuestRail Member

Indeed. On the subject of diagrams, is there a slightly modified HST diagram on tomorrow? Following the times through for the 17:40 Penzance to Paddington it looks to me like it originates from Laira, if my (albeit fledgling) RTT skills are to be believed.

5A77 0645 Laira - 0707 Plymouth (WTT)
    1A77 0750 Plymouth - 1121 Paddington (WTT)
    1C18 1203 Paddington - 1705 Penzance (WTT)
    1A35 1740 Penzance - 2343 Paddington (VAR)

The first three are down as WTT, but don't seem to be on the requested diagrams thread. Is the platform information on RTT patchy, have I missed something, or is the 17:40 actually going to be a HST? Hoping for the latter!

30. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Nope looks like an IET, a HST set would have knowhere to stable on arrival at Paddington

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.