• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Are there any cameras around for the next series of Paddington Station 24/7? The comings and going today would make for a good episode.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
How is 1L71 doing? See it's lost about 10 mins on its return so far? Is Sir Ken still being problematic?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll bet GWR will be relieved when this evening is over and they can get back to running trains for the benefit of normal passengers rather than enthusiasts. ;) :D

Railperf

Established Member
Not surprisingly ..as this is a scheduled service ..there are way more 'normal' passengers on this service. But the train manager and buffet steward are doing their best to remind us all that we are on the historic last HST from Swansea to London.
I'm not sure from an operational view that GWR are relieved to be rid of the HSts. It seems most staff aren't. Engine problems seem to be an everyday occurrence with Class 800 IETs.

BRX

Established Member
Any tips for where to watch the paddington departures from, if p1 might be closed off?

A rather humorous moment at Swindon earlier:

Naturally a crowd of people at the London-end of platform 3, watching the delayed 43002 depart. Whilst their backs were turned, 43185 completely snuck-up behind them into platform 1.

Que wild exclaim and surprise!

Alas, we were only a minute-out from having both power-cars side by side at Swindon!

stanpotts

I went to watch the proceedings of 1A24 calling at Bath Spa. An announcement was made along the lines of "After 43 years of service, this is the very last HST to London Paddington", which I thought was a very nice touch.

Essexman

Established Member
All lined up at Paddington. Rather a lot of people here to see this moment of railway history.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Really nice that they have Brian Cooper and Stan Martin's family there with the loco's named after them being front loco from Paddington.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Well, that’s all folks :'(

Nice touch on the FB live broadcast to film from the back cab (43002) as it departed Paddington.

Termy

Well, that’s all folks :'(

Nice touch on the FB live broadcast to film from the back cab (43002) as it departed Paddington.

It really was! Is someone cutting up onions in my kitchen downstairs...? :'(

That’s yer’ lot.

The world’s fastest diesel train. Designed and made in the UK. Four decades of service, from Aberdeen to Penzance.

Whilst they’ll still be seen in Scotland, XC and short formed in the West Country, this is the beginning of their end. Who knows how many people will turn up to see the IET off?

Last edited:

GlosRail

An excellent turn out. I'm very glad I made the trip to London and now heading home on board an HST.

Loads of people at Reading taking photos as well.

Established Member
Here are some of my photos of the Western Region HST over the last few years. It is sad to see them go but after 43 years they are due a retirement or for some a new home on regional inter city services of Scotland and the west country. I would like to say thank you to the people who have posted the remaining diagrams over the last year and a half.
20170531_215508.jpg 20170601_130506.jpg 20180905_160831.jpg 20181126_161425.jpg 20181126_190751.jpg View attachment 63180 20160502_121124.jpg

Termy

Thank you both for those amazing photos. They are making me feel a bit emotional again!

Railperf

Established Member
Just to remind us all that these last trains are still simply service trains running to a regular timetable 1W08 to Hereford is stuck outside Oxford having had to follow the 2L56 turbo at 60mph from Didcot

iantherev

That’s yer’ lot.

The world’s fastest diesel train. Designed and made in the UK. Four decades of service, from Aberdeen to Penzance.

Whilst they’ll still be seen in Scotland, XC and short formed in the West Country, this is the beginning of their end. Who knows how many people will turn up to see the IET off?

When the final Deltic turned up at King’s Cross in 1982 and a subsequent HST arrival was roundly booed, I would have asked the same question. Today shows that provided there are people still interested in Railways, it could be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.