• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
My guess is that the 4 services out of Paddington with be from Platforms 1-4 ( for Photo Opportunities as well ).

Normal passengers can then be advised that the "Next non-special service to xxxx" will depart from Platform 10...

The only special service is the 1830, the other 3 are regular passenger services

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
My guess is that the 4 services out of Paddington with be from Platforms 1-4 ( for Photo Opportunities as well ).

Normal passengers can then be advised that the "Next non-special service to xxxx" will depart from Platform 10...

No need to guess. It has been the plan for a long time to line up the HSTs in platforms 1 to 4.

Ah, yes that makes sense.
Perhaps it just runs ecs to Newport and then to wherever?

The 18.22 will stand for five minutes in Hereford station so the train manager can check everyone has got off, then it will leave in the usual Saturday evening 21.40 empty stock path to Bristol.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49992/2019/05/18/advanced

GWHST107

You can purchase a ticket like normal, as I mentioned in that post I reserved a seat on the 18:30 through the usual channels. As far as I can tell you would only have to call GWR if you want to reserve a seat through from before Taunton to Tiverton Parkway or Exeter, as the 18:32 makes it impossible to generate an itinerary for this. Otherwise just treat it like any other service.

Just to clarify, if I were to book a ticket on the GWR booking tool for the 1C26, I wouldn't need to contact GWR to make a reservation as it would've been made through the booking?
(Whenever I get to travel it's on local stopping services so I've never had to use a booking tool or make reservations before, hence the slight apprehension.)
Thanks

Mainline421

Just to clarify, if I were to book a ticket on the GWR booking tool for the 1C26, I wouldn't need to contact GWR to make a reservation as it would've been made through the booking?
(Whenever I get to travel it's on local stopping services so I've never had to use a booking tool or make reservations before, hence the slight apprehension.)
Thanks
Yes that's correct, as long as you select to reserve a seat while booking. (Although I travel long distance regularly I never bother with reservation or booking tools either usually).

Peter91

I have been looking at the turn round at Paddington for 1A15/1C16 for Saturday 11 May.
Seems very tight with an arrival of 1A15 at 13.14 and a departure of 1C16 at 13.30.
Is there any possibility that these workings could change?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I have been looking at the turn round at Paddington for 1A15/1C16 for Saturday 11 May.
Seems very tight with an arrival of 1A15 at 13.14 and a departure of 1C16 at 13.30.
Is there any possibility that these workings could change?

That’s quite a common in and out working. Of course anything could change with severe late running.

50Fan91

That’s quite a common in and out working. Of course anything could change with severe late running.

That turnaround isn't long enough for an HSS service forming another HSS service. You'll see the amended times on RTT soon. 1A15 arrives 13:13 and 1C16 departs 13:33. 20 minutes is the minimum amount of time for a Bristol turnaround.

GWHST107

Yes that's correct, as long as you select to reserve a seat while booking. (Although I travel long distance regularly I never bother with reservation or booking tools either usually).
Does that just mean you buy on the day? Anyway, thanks for the help, appreciate it!

Adsy125

Does that just mean you buy on the day? Anyway, thanks for the help, appreciate it!
You need a reservation to travel , and you can't get a reservation on the day. So you can't buy tickets on the day unless you manage to get a reservation without any tickets.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its worth pointing out that if anyone is thinking of doing one of the Padd Bristol HST services this weekend that they all run via Hullavington and do not call at either Chippenham or Bath.

FGW_DID

Established Member
THE LAST GWR INTERCITY HST STP DIAGRAMS!

SATURDAY 18/05:

1. 1A76 > 1B25 > 1L71 > 1C26 > 1Z43.
2. 1A78 > 1C15 > 1A23 > 1C92.
3. 1B03 > 1L48 > 1C16 > 1A24 > 1W08.
4. 1A10 > 1W29 > 1P61 > 1G60.

All 4 diagrammed units are planned to line up at Paddington between 17.38 and 18.03

strimmer

SATURDAY 18/05:

All 4 diagrammed units are planned to line up at Paddington between 17.38 and 18.03
Top man, thanks for that.

Wychwood93

SATURDAY 18/05:

It would be a good touch to have 43172 Harry Patch at the rear of the 1C26 (the 1830) - the last Tommy departing as the last scheduled GW HST and also passing through Bristol, close to his birthplace. Just a thought.

tobiast

I signed up to this forum to say thank you to those of you who started this thread and have provided up-to-date HST diagrams. I've been using it for several months now and it's helped tremendously in enabling me to catch the remaining HSTs on my route between Worcester and Oxford. I've always loved these trains and planned my journeys so as to catch them but once the old diagrams started to fall away it became increasingly difficult to predict which trains were HST and without your help and 'Iris Tiger' (which this thread introduced me to) it would have been impossible! I had a wonderful journey on 4th May on the 11:23 out of Oxford - so thank you!

Peter C

Established Member
I signed up to this forum to say thank you to those of you who started this thread and have provided up-to-date HST diagrams. I've been using it for several months now and it's helped tremendously in enabling me to catch the remaining HSTs on my route between Worcester and Oxford. I've always loved these trains and planned my journeys so as to catch them but once the old diagrams started to fall away it became increasingly difficult to predict which trains were HST and without your help and 'Iris Tiger' (which this thread introduced me to) it would have been impossible! I had a wonderful journey on 4th May on the 11:23 out of Oxford - so thank you!
Welcome @tobiast to the forums! I haven't been posting any services personally, but I'm sure that everyone is grateful. However, they are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves so I won't put words into their mouths! :) I also rode on the HST on the Cotswold Line (CBY-HFD return) on the 4th of May; maybe we crossed paths at some point!

-Peter

tobiast

I also rode on the HST on the Cotswold Line (CBY-HFD return) on the 4th of May; maybe we crossed paths at some point!

-Peter

Probably we did. I was standing in my usual place, enjoying the fresh air at the door in carriage C (which I greatly miss)! The loss of our beloved HST upsets me so much I published a poem about it; I won't bore you with the whole thing but perhaps you will enjoy the post-script (referencing the inaugural IET journey):

Very soon they missed him, when the air conditioning leaked,
And everyone complained about the smaller, harder seats.
And when the new train sauntered up half an hour late,
Few among the passengers thought it worth the wait.

But Progress wouldn’t hearken to this first journey’s curse:
They’d spent too many millions buying something worse
Than our beloved 1-2-5 they’d rushed to push aside
For fickle, flashy, tacky trains, while our old partner died.

Short was his resurgence; as his whistle died away
We knew the train departing wouldn’t come another day.

So now we’ll sit as captives, disgruntled and delayed.
A computerised apology through stale air is played,
But ever in our consciousness the cancelled promise bleats:
‘The new trains will be faster – and with bigger, softer seats!’

Peter C

Established Member
Probably we did. I was standing in my usual place, enjoying the fresh air at the door in carriage C (which I greatly miss)! The loss of our beloved HST upsets me so much I published a poem about it; I won't bore you with the whole thing but perhaps you will enjoy the post-script (referencing the inaugural IET journey):

Very soon they missed him, when the air conditioning leaked,
And everyone complained about the smaller, harder seats.
And when the new train sauntered up half an hour late,
Few among the passengers thought it worth the wait.

But Progress wouldn’t hearken to this first journey’s curse:
They’d spent too many millions buying something worse
Than our beloved 1-2-5 they’d rushed to push aside
For fickle, flashy, tacky trains, while our old partner died.

Short was his resurgence; as his whistle died away
We knew the train departing wouldn’t come another day.

So now we’ll sit as captives, disgruntled and delayed.
A computerised apology through stale air is played,
But ever in our consciousness the cancelled promise bleats:
‘The new trains will be faster – and with bigger, softer seats!’
Interesting! I did spend a fair amount of time on the return journey in one of the vestibule areas as I, like you, miss being able to do this on any stock near me. I really like the poem and I definitely want to hear more of it!

-Peter

tuscan400

you can view bonus hst's on part of the cotswold line this weekend,albeit only on the section through worcester shrubhill, back road diversions start from 4pm saturday so all XC workings will pass through worcester until late sunday.

50Fan91

SATURDAY 18/05:

If I didn't know better, I'd say that you just sit there waiting for me to send the diagrams out!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
you can view bonus hst's on part of the cotswold line this weekend,albeit only on the section through worcester shrubhill, back road diversions start from 4pm saturday so all XC workings will pass through worcester until late sunday.

What are "back road diversions" - is it a rare bit of track in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.