• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimm

Established Member
'Back road' is a bit of local terminology. The main line will be shut between Stoke Works junction (Bromsgrove) and Abbotswood junction (just south of Worcester), so all the XC services that would normally bypass Worcester on the main line will be going the long way round on the 'back road' via Droitwich Spa and Worcester Shrub Hill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50Fan91

If anyone is curious as to how the diagrams are worked out, for this weekend we wanted to send a set to Paignton and Carmarthen as those are the only two "regular" destinations we weren't able to get sets to on the final day of booked services.

50Fan91

;);) That was one I’ve been keeping an eye out for, in my inbox :lol::lol:.

I hope that they're worth the wait - not that they were ever going to be much of a surprise! It's been great fun and an honour diagramming the GWR HSTs in their final months of service.

I can't believe the interest surrounding the diagrams!

We've tried to get as much variety as we could out of the diagrams over the final months. I hope everyone has enjoyed themselves, photographing or travelling!

Peter C

Established Member
you can view bonus hst's on part of the cotswold line this weekend,albeit only on the section through worcester shrubhill, back road diversions start from 4pm saturday so all XC workings will pass through worcester until late sunday.
So, and forgive me for being stupid, but does this mean that XC HSTs will be working through the station? If so, what times (if you or anyone else knows)?

Thanks,

-Peter

Established Member
So, and forgive me for being stupid, but does this mean that XC HSTs will be working through the station? If so, what times (if you or anyone else knows)?

Thanks,

-Peter
No HST's south of Birmingham this weekend. Almost all the Plymouth services are coming from Manchester.

Peter C

Established Member
Also, we're now into the final week of Class 43 HST operation on the Great Western Mainline! I'm sure that this thread will be full of people reminiscing over the pas few years. Personally, I've ridden on quite a few HSTs and I can't believe that they'll be gone by next Sunday. :(

P.S: What's happening to this thread after next Saturday, when the HSTs finish? Could we perhaps keep it going for people to share their old HST memories? Or maybe we could start a new thread for that if one doesn't exist already...

-Peter

Established Member
OK; so it's not happening. Thanks for clearing that one up! :)

-Peter
Just looked at RTT for Worcester tomorrow and the Scotland to Plymouth services are still running through so there could one or two HST's tomorrow. Journey check normally shows which services are HST's. My bad thought it was the same for tomorrow as today.

Peter C

Established Member
Just looked at RTT for Worcester tomorrow and the Scotland to Plymouth services are still running through so there could one or two HST's tomorrow. Journey check normally shows which services are HST's. My bad thought it was the same for tomorrow as today.
Oh OK. Thanks very much. Actually, there's more chance that I can see them tomorrow so that works out perfectly! :)
I'll ask on the TOPS Requests thread tomorrow morning to ask which services are HSTs.

-Peter

WesternLancer

Established Member
I hope that they're worth the wait - not that they were ever going to be much of a surprise! It's been great fun and an honour diagramming the GWR HSTs in their final months of service.

We've tried to get as much variety as we could out of the diagrams over the final months. I hope everyone has enjoyed themselves, photographing or travelling!
Certainly has - been very valuable to me as having to pay full fare and living some distance away from GW country it has allowed me to book Advance / 1st Advance fares to enjoy the services over recent weeks, having been able to do Plymouth, Penzance, Hereford runs and stuff on the final day at an affordable cost. Just a bit annoyed that previous commitments prevent me enjoying the carmarthern run that you have fixed up. Big shame but there we are.

Anyway - with some of the funds saved from this vital info I've decided to join the 125Group!

So very many thanks to you and your colleagues!
Cheers

Peter C

Established Member

I have most definitely enjoyed myself. I've ridden on a couple of the last Cotswold HSTs and seen another few around the GWML; so this thread has been responsible for many an expensive day out! :)
Thanks very much to everyone who has posted diagrams on this thread surrounding the last HSTs. I've found it vital for seeing them. I'll definitely be sad when they go.

:)

-Peter

tuscan400

Oh OK. Thanks very much. Actually, there's more chance that I can see them tomorrow so that works out perfectly! :)
I'll ask on the TOPS Requests thread tomorrow morning to ask which services are HSTs.

-Peter
diversions start today 4-5pm, according to RTT there should be two hst's passing worcester this evening 1M65 + 1M69 and some workings sunday.

G Johns

I logged on to say thanks for all the helpful posts regarding GWR HSTs and the imminent end of the full sets. Having started work with BR in Bristol in 1974, I concentrated on the stock the HSTs replaced - now it’s come full circle! But thanks again for all the very reliable posts.

Peter C

Established Member
Until a buyer can be found. (if one is found at all).
I'd definitely buy one, provided they went for 20p or less! :)
But seriously, I hope that at least two are preserved with a Mk.3 or something so we can have a set on the heritage circuit. People may disagree, but they need to understand that the heritage seen technically includes anything which is considered "old", which can include HSTs.

-Peter

QuestRail

I'll join in with the thank you's too :D Thank you all for the diagrams, the chit-chat, and the random facts over the past few months. It's kept me busy, indulged my nostalgia about trips to Bath and Bristol with my Dad, and got me to a fair few places that I hadn't been before. My only regret is not being able to see one on the sea wall at Dawlish.

Inadvertently I've booked myself on four HST's between now and next weekend, but all in first class. I may never get another standard class ride on a HST :(

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Inadvertently I've booked myself on four HST's between now and next weekend, but all in first class. I may never get another standard class ride on a HST :(
Such hardship ;)
Actually you’ve made the right choice. HSTGtis are staying and will be standard class remember? It’s the HST first class that is to be gone from GW parts.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can someone confirm that the weekday HST diagrams for the last week between this Monday 13th to Friday 17th May will be as now

EDIT: Just seen this post conforming the last weeks workings:

SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C28

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
May I ask, what will happen to this thread after Saturday? Could we please keep it open for people to talk about the HSTs or something, because that would be really good. :)
@QuestRail - consider yourself lucky, being able to travel in First Class! :) I've never travelled First Class by HST (or any train on the national network actually); purely because I'm not willing to pay over £200 for a return to Hereford from Charlbury (two stations away from Oxford)!

-Peter

QuestRail

@QuestRail - consider yourself lucky, being able to travel in First Class! :) I've never travelled First Class by HST (or any train on the national network actually); purely because I'm not willing to pay over £200 for a return to Hereford from Charlbury (two stations away from Oxford)!

-Peter

I've only recently discovered some of the first class advance pricing quirks which I've been taking advantage of. Today, for example, for the Carmarthen run. £10 for a first class single (or £6.60 with a railcard), which is cheaper than any form of standard class single. At the time of writing, there's still one available each way, so £20 (or £13.20) for about five hours in first, bargain :D It's certainly made bagging some of these final runs affordable.

Peter C

Established Member
I've only recently discovered some of the first class advance pricing quirks which I've been taking advantage of. Today, for example, for the Carmarthen run. £10 for a first class single (or £6.60 with a railcard), which is cheaper than any form of standard class single. At the time of writing, there's still one available each way, so £20 (or £13.20) for about five hours in first, bargain :D It's certainly made bagging some of these final runs affordable.
Very interesting! I would do that run but it is simply too far away. :)

-Peter

cineandy

SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C28

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98

sincere thanks for posting this info. Planning a trip tomorrow morning as weather looking good.

Requeststop

My final HST journey was on January 10th from Truro to Paddington on my journey back to PNG for my work. It was a highly nostalgic journey as I have loved the HST's almost from the start.

My first HST125 ride was from Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington during the first two weeks of service back in the seventies. A friend and I decided to take the journey first class to Paddington and back for the hell of it and even splashed out on lunch. We returned almost immediately to Bristol and I distinctly remember watching Points West that evening and learning that a HST125 had just broken the record for the journey from Temple Meads to Paddington. I never found out if it was the service we were travelling on. I like to think that it was. Over the years I have travelled all over the country on HST's, very rarely having a bad journey.

I've travelled a few times on the new trains, but somehow it's not the same, especially on reaching Cornwall and now facing the ridiculous situation that the only Cornish station the new stock properly fits into is Penzance. All the other stations carriages are locked as the trains are too large for the stations, even at Truro on the down Platform 2, the final two carriages stick out over the level crossing like a building worker's arse when they bend over. An indignity that an HST never suffered.

To all riding the final HST's I wish you a delightful and memorable journey.

Peter C

Established Member
I've travelled a few times on the new trains, but somehow it's not the same, especially on reaching Cornwall and now facing the ridiculous situation that the only Cornish station the new stock properly fits into is Penzance. All the other stations carriages are locked as the trains are too large for the stations, even at Truro on the down Platform 2, the final two carriages stick out over the level crossing like a building worker's arse when they bend over. An indignity that an HST never suffered.

To all riding the final HST's I wish you a delightful and memorable journey.

I can agree with what you've said there about doors on the new trains being locked at many stations; along the Cotswold Line in particular. The platforms were extended months ago but according to a guard a while ago they can't use the new platforms as the DfT hasn't given them permission. The only platforms on the Cotswold Line that could fit a 9-car unit are Oxford and Hereford (I think).

On a slightly different note, I remember being sat at Worcester Shrub Hill last year, waiting for 60009 Union Of South Africa, and seeing a Class 800 (800005). It was such a novelty to see one for me back then because the Cotswold Line received them later than other places such as the GWML. The other week, I took a HST to Hereford and seeing that was interesting. It's amazing how in less than a year things have changed so much. I prefer the HSTs to the 800s, but I'm sure that when the IETs go we'll all be here, being nostalgic! :)

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.