• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
OK lets rephrase that. Since the GWR 2+4 sets will no longer go at 125mph, will the ATP on them be decommissioned?
I have heard the plan is to get rid of the ATP but in the shorter term yes they could make Paddington as HSS drivers are signing the 2+4 after common sense prevailed!

The Prisoner

I was living in Reading and four years old when these started service. Remember my Dad taking me to Tilehurst and the roar of the Valentas still accelerating away from Reading as they rushed through. Also remember covering my ears when they would leave the platform at Reading. Left a real impression.

Those days of 50s and blue and yellow HSTs rushing through alongside the rasping 117s and Bubble cars on the local services...would love a couple of hours in a time machine to go back there.

Live in Chester now, but managed a trip to Devon last year and then Cornwall and took my children on these machines which was a great trip down memory lane.

Sad to think they won't be on main line duties, but what are the odds of 2 x 2 x 4 making up for a failed IET one day into Paddington?!

How long before they are short of an IEP at Plymouth one morning and Laira kick out a 2+4 set on a Paddington train?
I think what’s more likely if that situation arose would be to terminate it at Reading, as it could keep to time to there with 100mph top speed (there are only a couple of short sections of 110), and IETs will be on diesel anyway, and because otherwise passengers would have a long wait. From Reading though there are very frequent trains to Paddington, and 100mph would be an issue, so they’d probably get people to change there. And of course, this is assuming there’s an issue with an IET, and a spare short HST, and a driver who signs both the route and traction, and it can be brought back etc. So unlikely, but I’d imagine not beyond the realms of possibility.

duffield

Established Member
Sad to see them go from the GWML but for me personally the 'end of an era' will be the last HST from St. Pancras to Nottingham, I'll be on that service if possible.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I am sad to read, that the last H.S.T. has left Paddington. I wanted a last ride on these, but due to illness, was unable to. Also thought they were going to go in December.

Has the ones from Cheltenham spa tp Paddington gone also?.

Don't know where you got December from?
May 2019 was always the plan.

Yes, no more HSTs at all, except the 2+4 sets on Cardiff to Penzance services

387star

On Moderation
doesn't seem long ago the luxurious first class was rolled out ! far more luxurious than the 800s by the looks of it

still recall the ear splitting sound these beasts would make as they departed the likes of westbury

used to walk around the pond at westbury waiting for a train many years ago and remember the hsts making a lot of noise as they rushed through on the avoiders

Peter C

Established Member
It's lovely to hear about the stories of the Valentas and the "good old days" of the HSTs. Sadly, if I did see the Valenta HSTs, I don't remember them! However, I do have many fond memories of being able to sit at my local stations and seeing the HSTs pulling in. I've only ever seen the HSTs at speed a handful of times, one of those times being yesterday - I got off the train at Didcot Parkway to find that, after spending a short while taking photos of the regular Class 387s, a HST was due through! I ran down the steps, along the corridor, and back up the steps, and as I was making my way back up to Platforms 2/3 the train (the 43002 and 43198 consist) went through at what felt like 125mph! Standing on the stairs and being slightly lower down than platform level meant that the train felt so much larger and faster. That's something I'll never forget!

-Peter

R G NOW.

In regular service yes, the full-length 2+8 sets are gone. The Farewell Railtour (Flying Banana) I assume will be a 2+8 set and will be passing through Gloucester on 1st June though I believe so one last chance to see one if you're in that area.

Thanks for that, but at what time?. I am usually there about 14:00 to 17:00 in the afternoons.

Adsy125

Just watched that - a very good video covering the last HSTs to leave Paddington. I'm just wondering where he got that window label from.... :)

-Peter
Everyone on the train at Paddington got a label, they were left on the seats.

GWHST107

Everyone on the train at Paddington got a label, they were left on the seats.
Someone must have taken mine, I got on at Bristol and there were none on mine. Were there any other things given to passengers?

QuestRail

Someone must have taken mine, I got on at Bristol and there were none on mine. Were there any other things given to passengers?

I assume they didn't put any more out for people joining the train later on :( That was the only freebie I'm aware of - you could buy window signs and posters at the buffet though. They brought through some goody bags through first class but they all went to the VIP's in carriage L as far as I could see.

nat67

Established Member
On the 1600 Bristol-Paddington the Guard was selling the 'Last day of HST services' window label for a £10 donation to DiabetesUk.

GWHST107

I assume they didn't put any more out for people joining the train later on :( That was the only freebie I'm aware of - you could buy window signs and posters at the buffet though. They brought through some goody bags through first class but they all went to the VIP's in carriage L as far as I could see.

I was able to get one of the £2 white mini posters from the buffet, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on anything. Glad to hear the bags were only for Coach L first class as I was in Coach K, so I didn't miss out on that. Thanks

QuestRail

I was able to get one of the £2 white mini posters from the buffet, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on anything. Glad to hear the bags were only for Coach L first class as I was in Coach K, so I didn't miss out on that. Thanks

We're you in K16 by any chance? I got off at Bristol so you might have ended up in my seat :D

On the subject of the video, I like it. I spoke to Geoff briefly both on the platform and on the train, he's really nice guy. The side of my head appears in it too when he's at the buffet :p

Adsy125

Correct, they were on the seats at Paddington when we got there but there weren’t any given out later

Status
Not open for further replies.