• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining operation semaphore signals on the U.K. Railway Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The original thread has been locked:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/remaining-operational-semaphore-signals-on-the-network.75577/

and the state of play has changed dramatically since. Where, if anywhere, still uses semaphore signals on the U.K. rail network?

D

See this thread which asks a slightly different, but relevant, question. It shows there's still plenty of semaphore out there.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trivia-all-semaphore-routes.201585/page-2#post-4480088

Up here there's plenty between Aberdeen and Edinburgh/Glasgow, most (I believe) of the Highland Main Line and Keith to Insch between Inverness and Aberdeen (this route has lost a lot recently with the dualing to Inverurie and various improvements between Inverness and Elgin.

Veteran Member
Most of the Cumbrian Coast, Skipton to Carlisle (both exclusive), Knatesborough to Poppleton (still?), Stamford to Melton M, Shrewsbury and thence towards Newport, Cornwall (?)...
Think Bognor is about the last on the ex SR.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
There's a fairly sizeable gantry at Bridlington, which is the only one left in Northern Humberside to my knowledge.

Warrington Bank Quay to Chester (both exclusive) retains traditional boxes and some semaphore signals. Also Wrexham General (exclusive) to Shrewsbury

Marton

Nunthorpe on the Esk Valley is still semaphore Homes with fixed distants.

Deepgreen

Established Member
As alluded to by 'Nippy', a 'hidden' section is the Dudding Hill line near Cricklewood which still has a few semaphores and which are now the closest to central London. I say "hidden" because it has no scheduled passengers workings, only freight and occasional charters. The section was recently the subject of another thread in that it had one or two new (replacement) semaphores installed recently.

There is also Littlehampton - the station platform starters (two gantries of two each).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is Manchester to Sheffield still semaphore?
Yes, there are boxes with semaphores at New Mills South, Chinley, Edale, Earles, Grindleford and Totley Tunnel East. However there are colour light intermediate signals to break up the sections between most (all?) of these boxes and (like many other semaphore routes) all the distants are colour lights. Hazel Grove has a signal box but I think no semaphores, and the lines into Manchester and Sheffield are controlled by power boxes.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Warrington Bank Quay to Chester (both exclusive) retains traditional boxes and some semaphore signals. Also Wrexham General (exclusive) to Shrewsbury
I think it's only Mickle Trafford to the Halton Curve junction now. around the Halton Curve Junction and up to Warrington is under a single aspect signal.

Tomnick

Established Member
Yes, there are boxes with semaphores at New Mills South, Chinley, Edale, Earles, Grindleford and Totley Tunnel East. However there are colour light intermediate signals to break up the sections between most (all?) of these boxes and (like many other semaphore routes) all the distants are colour lights. Hazel Grove has a signal box but I think no semaphores, and the lines into Manchester and Sheffield are controlled by power boxes.
Chinley’s been a panel for many years now (as has Hazel Grove), and Totley Tunnel East hasn’t got any semaphore main signals. Stockport’s worth a special mention, of course - exclusively, I’m sure, power operated kit on the ground, but all worked from lever frames with absolute block and some incredibly short sections!

For completeness, there’s IB sections in each direction between Edale and Earles, and between Earles and Grindleford

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s a fair bit in Cornwall still I think, although I haven’t been down there for a while so I’m not certain about what’s left?
Hopefully heading that way next month so I’ll be able to have a look.

Barrow to Carlisle is about 2h 20 journey time. Apart from the signal box controlling the single line section at Park South, I can only remember colour light signals at Silecroft station platform , Drigg Station platform and Whitehaven station platform being non semaphore (these 3 are all adjacent to level crossings / tunnels.) The rest of the route is semaphore I believe all the way north as far as Maryport.

Harbon 1

Egginton, Tutbury & Hatton and Scropton boxes still going strong on the Derby-Stoke line, Scropton and Tutbury at least still have their full compliment of semaphores.

Status
Not open for further replies.