• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remains of Scottish brake van - ID please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowcoach

These remains of this brake van (?) are slowly deteriorating on a beach near the Mull of Galloway (SW Scotland).

It is rumoured to have been bought in Glasgow and transported down by road.

Can anyone identify it please?

photo 2[1237].JPGphoto 2[1222].JPGphoto 1[1235].JPGphoto 3[1239].JPGphoto 1[1220].JPGphoto 3[1224].JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
Doesnt look like a brake van , looks more like a standard 12 ton van with windows added.

flowcoach

That may well be true, delt1c, but if you look closely at photo 3 you'll notice that the extensions on the body look original and there is even a handrail in place that looks original.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Can't say I really have much of a clue but I note the model pictures on this page of a Caledonain railway (double ended) goods brake van features the diagonal metal straps seen in the pictures here on the side of the van. Just wondered if that was a clue? Would need to be the case that other likely contenders didn't tend to use such strapping of course.

see image about half way down this page:

WesternLancer

Established Member
It couldn't be this could it:

Looks more plausible than the model CR I linked to. Your link with plan and dimensions would allow the theoretical possibility of comparing measurements. There is a distinct similarity in the timber uprights at the non veranda end.
I'd have thought an LNWR brake van of that age would be quite a rare survivor, albeit significant chunk of this have not actually survived...

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looks more plausible than the model CR I linked to. Your link with plan and dimensions would allow the theoretical possibility of comparing measurements.
Anybody know the height of the caravan model? :lol:
There is a distinct similarity in the timber uprights at the non veranda end.
Similarity in Windows, possibly the same despatch note holder thing, and timbers. Also the body side appears to be constructed in thirds rather than the halves of the CR model. The CR model also had 2 panes in each window not one.
I'd have thought an LNWR brake van of that age would be quite a rare survivor, albeit significant chunk of this have not actually survived...
Agreed, although heritage railways up and down the country have dug out incredibly rare survivors from the unlikeliest of places, some less complete than others.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Anybody know the height of the caravan model? :lol:

Similarity in Windows, possibly the same despatch note holder thing, and timbers. Also the body side appears to be constructed in thirds rather than the halves of the CR model. The CR model also had 2 panes in each window not one.

Agreed, although heritage railways up and down the country have dug out incredibly rare survivors from the unlikeliest of places, some less complete than others.
Agree with your points. The central third being used for the side window cut into it perhaps.
Shows the quality of the timber they had access to then. Survived with probably minimal to no maintenance for many of the years it must have been grounded there.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Agree with your points. The central third being used for the side window cut into it perhaps.
Shows the quality of the timber they had access to then. Survived with probably minimal to no maintenance for many of the years it must have been grounded there.
Indeed - quality parts lasting a lifetime!

It's a shame it's been removed from the frame as the builder's plate would have shown for sure. Only way of ID'ing it definitively now is if there's any paintwork left (unlikely) or a second builder's plate inside/carved on timber (also unlikely).

6Gman

Established Member
Definitely looks like ex-LNWR brake van to me. Just a shame that there's so little of it left!

Status
Not open for further replies.