• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remember this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not much has changed for the 91s since then, except they're now more reliable due to modifications. All Mk4s are fully refurbished.

I'm not aware of any Pendo exceeding 162mph so I believe 91s are still the fastest domestic trains in the UK ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there still any plans for this class 250 set?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
Are there still any plans for this class 250 set?
InterCity 250? This was to be a Class 93 and Mk5 coaches.

It was shelved about 10 years ago as the then Tory government refused to provide enough funding, and they then decided to privatise the railway which meant projects of this nature had to be cancelled. If they had believed in investing in British Rail instead, we'd have got IC 250s instead of Pendolinos.

The person who wrote the article in question was referring to Virgin's plans as "InterCity 250", he was using the old name for BR's WCML project. I guess they hadn't decided on Pendos at that point, or the author got it wrong, not sure which.

Jordy

Established Member
I'd never heard of this Intercity 250 idea until now, what a really annoying fact it is that that we could have had Mk5s and got Pendolinos instead! <( :(

Jordy :

TheSlash

Established Member
All the turbostars and electrostars have the same bodyshell, this must be the largest fleet in the country to share a bodyshell, so theres your mk5, enjoy 8) :lol:

Jordy

Established Member
TheSlash said:
All the turbostars and electrostars have the same bodyshell, this must be the largest fleet in the country to share a bodyshell, so theres your mk5, enjoy

Oh how wonderful, thanks :roll: ;)

Jordy

voyagerdude220

Established Member
yorkie said:
I'm not aware of any Pendo exceeding 162mph so I believe 91s are still the fastest domestic trains in the UK ;)

Where and when did this 162 mph happen? I bet the track isn't in a good enough state to allow any trains these day's to do 140, let alone 162 mph

Ben

voyagerdude220 said:
yorkie said:

Where and when did this 162 mph happen? I bet the track isn't in a good enough state to allow any trains these day's to do 140, let alone 162 mph

i think Yorkie means it CAN be done.

Not that it has been Done.

David

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
yorkie said:

The record of 161.2mph was acheived by a 91 on a test run before they fully entered service. The location was heading up towards London while going down Stoke Bank.

Nick

TheSlash said:
All the turbostars and electrostars have the same bodyshell, this must be the largest fleet in the country to share a bodyshell, so theres your mk5, enjoy

Aren't they Class 3 :P

AlexS

Established Member
Mk3s and Mk4s are also Class 3. That's just the loading guage classification. If you were really desperate, you could say the 158s and Mk4 coaches were the Mk4 fleet. Networkers probably would have been Mk5 if NSE's plans had ever come to fruitition.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
yorkie said:
It was shelved about 10 years ago as the then Tory government refused to provide enough funding, and they then decided to privatise the railway which meant projects of this nature had to be cancelled. If they had believed in investing in British Rail instead, we'd have got IC 250s instead of Pendolinos.

Very anti-tory views yorkie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.