• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remembering when XC used to run regular HSTs from Manchester on Summer Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was roughly 2008.
The Manchester - Newquay lasted until at least 2009 and the Manchester - Paignton until 2010 according to this post:
They worked Manchester Piccadilly-Paignton and Manchester Piccadilly-Newquay diagrams on Saturdays in the first Summer in which XC had the refurbished HST fleet, the Summer of 2009. The Paignton diagram still ran in 2010 too, but the Newquay diagram could have been a Voyager by then. For the High Summer period of Summer 2009 the Newquay diagram was an HST hired in from NXEC.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember XC hiring in "Midland Main Line" HST sets on summer Saturdays in the late 90s. They also hired in a West Coast Mainline mark 3 plus DVT set as well.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I remember XC hiring in "Midland Main Line" HST sets on summer Saturdays in the late 90s. They also hired in a West Coast Mainline mark 3 plus DVT set as well.

Yes we travelled back from our holidays in North Cornwall many times during that period on those 47 hauled WC sets boarding the Paignton to Manchester (13:05?) VXC service at Exeter SD (13:53). I seem to recall it was more often (at least in my experience) a West Midlands rake they used so mainly mk2e/f plus a mk3 catering & DVT vehicle, the very last time being June 2002 when it was a full mk3 set.

On Moderation
No problem.

I'm sure @43094 / @43096 could confirm if the above is correct... :)
The Manchester-Newquay was certainly HST in 2009 as ISTR it used an East Coast set sent over from Neville Hill. I lost interest around then as everything was bent...

Status
Not open for further replies.