• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Removal of departure time from class 357 PIS screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Today the c2c PIS seems to have been updated, adding a "next station" announcement after opening the doors, and removing the departure time from the external displays.

I never understood the need for the departure times on external displays - updating at every station and frequently showing "00:00" when diversionary headcodes were used.

Unfortunately the extra space now available on the displays hasn't been used to show stations in full, they are still shown in their previous abbreviated form.

Does anyone know why the departure time was originally shown on the displays and are there any other TOCs who did/still do show the time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
Isn’t it the arrival time at the destination that’s displayed ?

Established Member
No, it is (was) the booked departure time from each station, and would update when the "we are now approaching" announcement played.

357 LTSRail

I noticed this too, seems to vary unit by unit with more and more now reverting to the timing on the front and full station list on internal PIS.

Upon looking at realtime trains, I did notice a pattern with the announcements depending on whether stops were listed as STP or VAR - VAR being the non-timing and no full station list.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, it is (was) the booked departure time from each station, and would update when the "we are now approaching" announcement played.

I always thought it was just a clock.

It would serve a purpose on InterCity trains where people need to be on the right train with their Advance. For local trains on a route that doesn't even offer Advances it didn't really serve any purpose and I did always wonder why it was there.

Dstock7080

Established Member
1246 Barking to Fenchurch Street was displaying correct departure time today

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.