• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Removal of manual LC's Doncaster ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk Sandall

went yesterday and, no road closed signs up, so that means, Joan croft bridge finally open!!! very impressive it was too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

went yesterday and, no road closed signs up, so that means, Joan croft bridge finally open!!! very impressive it was too!

It is indeed. Thank god they built the bridge for two way traffic too. That road is horrific, three times I nearly came bonnet to bonnet with a mentalist flying down the road. The bridge is superb though.

The new chord is coming along well too, there was no where to pull over and get some pics though and the weather was rotten. The road itself is busier than normal at the moment because it's being used as a diversion.

Also, work has been completed at Dam Lane, Thorpe Gates and Sandhill Lane level crossings in the Selby area.

Thorpe Gates historic gate box has been demolished and new obstacle detection crossings have been installed. Sandhill Lane gate box has also been removed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any new photo locations there now?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get access on the old part of the road near the level crossing once the work is done. That would however be a good place for photographs as you'd get all the ECML traffic plus everything on the new chord.

It's a huge site at the moment, the old LC looks a bit sad now.

Some interesting observations in my recent drives around the area.

Heck Ings Level Crossing on the Pontefract line near Hensall - Now completely closed to road traffic and gate keepers cabin removed. I didn't see any announcement from NR about this and it was done 'on the stealth'. So much so that I drove up to and only realised at the last minute I couldn't get over it. It's a narrow road so a 21 point turn followed back to the A645. Certainly, the road over Heck Ings was a vehicular access and part of the highways network so i'd love to find out how NR were able to close it off without any consultation it appears.

Joan Croft Level Crossing ECML near Doncaster - Is now closed to road traffic and the new bridge is built and is open. When I drove past it looked like the gate keepers cabin had gone but perhaps the crossing is still open to pedestrians.

Sandhill Lane Level Crossing near Selby - Is now obstacle detection. The gate keepers cabin has been removed.

Thorpe Gates Level Crossing near Selby - Is also now obstacle detection. The historic crossing keepers box has been demolished. Of interest, I have driven over this crossing many many times over the past 3 weeks and every single time I do there is a car parked up with what I believe to be an NR employee sat in watching the crossing. I can only assume he is 'monitoring' it in some way? The Sandhill Lane crossing and the Dam Lane crossing do not have anyone 'monitoring' them though? Seems a little odd to me.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joan Croft LC was closed (locked) to everybody, including pedestrians, when I visited in December.
The new road bridge there was OK for photos - don't know if they'll be planting trees on the new embankments to spoil the shots!

Kirk Sandall

thanks for the update on Joan Croft.

Does anybody know about the other crossing's like barcroft and heyworth in Doncaster?

High Dyke

Established Member
thanks for the update on Joan Croft.

Does anybody know about the other crossing's like barcroft and heyworth in Doncaster?
Control of the following crossings is due to go into Doncaster PSB in 2014:
Code:
Balne GB
Balne Lowgate GC
Barcroft GC
Fenwick GC
Heyworth GC
Moss GB

Control of the following crossings is due to go into Ferrybridge SB in 2014:
Code:
England Lane GC
Heck Lane GC