• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Renewing driving licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all-

Something which has unexpectedly caught me out recently is that my UK Driving License expired in mid June this year.

I've received no reminders from the DVLA about it at all and only discovered this when I recently tried to obtain quotes to renew my soon to expire driving insurance policy- a website I entered my driving license number in pointed the problem out to me.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I'm now concerned at the possibility of facing a fine between now and me receiving my new license- despite not receiving any warnings/reminders from the DVLA- but I know it's my responsibility to update my license.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I renewed mine a year ago, but I don’t remember getting a reminder. In truth, in don’t remember ever getting a reminder, but that could be because until recent years I have moved frequently.

JamesT

Established Member
Hi all-

Something which has unexpectedly caught me out recently is that my UK Driving License expired in mid June this year.

I've received no reminders from the DVLA about it at all and only discovered this when I recently tried to obtain quotes to renew my soon to expire driving insurance policy- a website I entered my driving license number in pointed the problem out to me.

I'm now concerned at the possibility of facing a fine between now and me receiving my new license- despite not receiving any warnings/reminders from the DVLA- but I know it's my responsibility to update my license.

The DVLA have a horrendous backlog due to COVID. There was an automatic extension for licences that expired last year, but not this year.
Though reminders were apparently still going out, do you have the correct address on yours?

There appears to be a clause called Section 88 which allows driving whilst you have an application in with the DVLA. Though that seems to be aimed at people whose licence expires whilst with the DVLA rather than already expired.

stuart81

I submitted my medical renewal over 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Can't get through on phone, no response to emails so having to rely on this Section 88 as mine is now expired

MotCO

Established Member
I received a reminder earlier this year - my licence expired in May.

As an aside, I tried to renew on-line. I answered all the questions, and then it said it was not possible to renew on-line, and I had to apply on paper. I asked for an application form on-line, and the 'renew a licence option' required me to apply at a Post Office, at a cost of £23. Because of Covid, I have rarely left my house, so there was no way was I going to queue in a Post Office. However, there was also an option to renew my photo, which I did using a spare passport photo - the bonus was this only cost £17.

I applied, and despite the waitng times being quoted as 6 weeks, I got mine in about 8 weeks. They cashed my cheque after I received my licence, so don't assume that a non-cashed cheque means they did not receive the application.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I renewed mine a couple of months ago, i did receive a reminder. However i do remember the envelope was rather non-descript and i could easily have assumed it was spam.

eMeS

I renewed mine a couple of months ago, i did receive a reminder. However i do remember the envelope was rather non-descript and i could easily have assumed it was spam.
Me and my partner are both in our 80s, and were able to renew our driving licences via DVLA a few months ago. We think we are both computer savvy(!) but I remember finding the DVLA website quite difficult, and I think my partner did hers by post, after also running into some problem. (I think one of the boxes was very strict about spaces, or something similar. ) Whatever, eventually we both received new driving licences, and without needing to pay any fee.

Gloster

Established Member
Me and my partner are both in our 80s, and were able to renew our driving licences via DVLA a few months ago. We think we are both computer savvy(!) but I remember finding the DVLA website quite difficult, and I think my partner did hers by post, after also running into some problem. (I think one of the boxes was very strict about spaces, or something similar. ) Whatever, eventually we both received new driving licences, and without needing to pay any fee.
When I renewed mine it took seven or eight goes to get it right: in the end I did it over two nights as on the first I got fed up with it being rejected each time. I think I eventually kept a note on the back of an old envelope of what worked and what didn’t.

gswindale

You do realise the expiry date is printed on the license?
But that relies on you looking at it. I don't look at mine particularly often to be honest - possibly once a year if I need to for insurance purposes (I seem to recall entering it as part of obtaining a quote). Don't think I'd pay too much attention to the dates on it whilst checking my reference.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
The DVLA are currently in the grip of a long running issue of industrial action where the staff at the Swansea offices have locked horns with their management over the way they were treated during the peak(s) of the Covid pandemic.

A lot of employees were denied the right to work remotely and are claiming to have been put in unnecessary danger by their bosses. There was also allegations that the lifts in the HQ building were put out of use during the peak of the pandemic, which of course would present difficulties for those with disabilities.

The DVLA have already inherited a backlog of applications and requests, and the ongoing saga with picket lines and further strike action means, the delays in get licences renewed will continue for a while. I believe the Unions have penciled in a further week of strike action set to take place in the coming months. It is sadly not something that is going to be resolved overnight.

The DVLA problems were referred to in an edition of the BBC One show back in July. The DVLA medical team is working on reduced staffing until further notice which is affecting people awaiting a medical. This is adding further issues to the national shortage of Class 1/2/3 drivers because companies cannot get medicals booked in for new drivers or those with an expired licence (or one due to end immently).

A couple of forum members have mentioned Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This is a vital piece of legislation that allows people to drive if their licence has expired, as long as they have not been advised to refrain from driving. Best practice is to get a health check from your own GP if you are waiting on a DVLA medical for things like heart conditions.

From my own experience of the DVLA - they haven't been sending out reminders about licences coming to an end. You can simply renew the licence yourself sixty days before the expiry date, by obtaining a D1 form from the local post office. I would strongly encourage anyone to send their correspondence as recorded delivery as the DVLA are certainly inept if not incompetent at the best of times.

CJ

Last edited:

bearhugger

My wife & I have had to renew our licences roughly in the middle of this year. Both of of us got reminders but we haven't moved for more than a decade. Both have renewed at the post office. I took mine in to the main post office in town on Monday morning and the new licence came in the post on Thursday - much quicker than i was expecting.
There appears to be a clause called Section 88 which allows driving whilst you have an application in with the DVLA. Though that seems to be aimed at people whose licence expires whilst with the DVLA rather than already expired.
I don't know if the Section 88 applies in my case but I've only renewed my licence before it's actually expired, but have been told to keep the receipt they gave me until i got the new one, so i could show to Police / employer doing licence checks / who-ever needed to know that the licence was in the process of being renewed.

JohnMcL7

My wife & I have had to renew our licences roughly in the middle of this year. Both of of us got reminders but we haven't moved for more than a decade. Both have renewed at the post office. I took mine in to the main post office in town on Monday morning and the new licence came in the post on Thursday - much quicker than i was expecting.
My brother also renewed his driving license at the post office and it was fairly quick as well to my surprise so that's what I'll be doing when renewing mine.

PaulC1309

Quick and easy at post office. I went on a Saturday morning and had a new licence arrive 3 days later. You can also renew online if you have a valid passport as they use the photo from it. Only reason I didn't was my passport expired last year. Didn't see much point in renewing it yet.

skyhigh

Established Member
In my experience over the last few months, any automated DVLA services (like the online form for change of vehicle owner, or new address on a driving licence) go through pretty rapidly. It's the more complicated issues or paper forms that seem to get held up.

MotCO

Established Member
In my experience over the last few months, any automated DVLA services (like the online form for change of vehicle owner, or new address on a driving licence) go through pretty rapidly. It's the more complicated issues or paper forms that seem to get held up.

For some reason, my on-line application was not accepted and I had to revert to a paper renewal. It took 8 weeks in May.

Gloster

Established Member
The change of owner and road-tax process when I bought a car yesterday went straight through in a few minutes. Admittedly, the filling out of the DVLA form was done by the garage.

talltim

Established Member
I did mine recently, online using the photo they already had from my passport. Came pretty quickly. I'm pretty cetain I had a reminder because I don't look it at it from one year to the next.

malc-c

Interesting and informative post. Mine is due for renewal in 3 months time. I was contemplating doing the renewal through the post office at the end of this month as I had read about the delays at DVLA, but having read the last couple of comments above it would seem that applications for renews are being processed quickly. I still might get it done sooner rather than later as I presume the new licence carries on for 10 years after the expiry of the current one and not the date of when the renewal processes was carried out ?

malc-c

I was referring to the plastic photo licence.

What to do with your paper counterpart​

The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.

If you have a paper driving licence​

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

AndrewE

Established Member
I only have a (very tatty) piece of paper (now in about a dozen pieces) which dates from 1970, or thereabouts. I am hoping for a free plastic one in a couple of years time, hopefully quick and easy using my passport photo.
It's always a talking point when I hire a car abroad...
A

Ediswan

Established Member
I only have a (very tatty) piece of paper (now in about a dozen pieces) which dates from 1970, or thereabouts. I am hoping for a free plastic one in a couple of years time, hopefully quick and easy using my passport photo.
It's always a talking point when I hire a car abroad...
A
Green or pink ? Mine would still be green, except I lost it and the replacement was pink. Technically it is still one piece of paper, but with some sticky tape keeping it that way.

bearhugger

Green or pink ? Mine would still be green, except I lost it and the replacement was pink. Technically it is still one piece of paper, but with some sticky tape keeping it that way.
My green bit of paper was more sellotape at the end, fortunately you don't get paper parts now on renewal.

24Grange

Bit in the paper today about they are doing a trail whereby provisional licences to start will be "digital" and only available online and via an app you show PC 99 on your phone - phasing out the pink plastic credit card. It was pointed out that not everyone has a smart phone or is online and what are they going to do? tattoo barcode on your arm ?

malc-c

Word of warning guys. If you are going to renew your photo licence via the post office, don't do as I did this morning and go into a photo booth and have four passport type pictures done. This would be Ok if you are going to send in a postal application, but the post office can do the application electronically, including taking the picture for £21.50.

I went to ASDA this morning and use their machine to take 4 images (the machine even has options for UK driving licence, passport etc). £7 lighter and with my certified format photos in hand I set off for the post office. I approached the counter, stated I wish to renew my licence in advance of the expiry date and that I have the pictures. "Can't use them as its all done electronically" the cashier said...So I paid my £21.50, had my photo retaken, signed the touch pad with the scriber and that was that. She then cut up my old licence, and gave me a receipt, confirming that in the event of being stopped I can show the receipt, but that the new licence should be with me by this time next week !

Sm5

I saw the scare stories of 3 months plus in the paper, my renewal is in January 2022.

Decided to renew online, week last Monday, they used my passport picture in the online renewal, within 3 days, by Thursday my replacement “UK” driving licence, without EU flag has arrived.

it joins my ultra rare EU Red passport, that says British, but not “European Union” made during that dead zone of the phoney war in late 2019, that was also a “renew now or wait forever” media story.

Last edited:

chorleyjeff

Hi all-

Got by post my application paperwork to renew my licence about two weeks ago being two months before renewal due. I used the option to renew online. It was an easy process. Got my new licence about 10 days later.
The whole process worked well and quickly. No complaints from me.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks all for your replies. I don't have a valid passport, but ended up taking my current expired driving licence to the post office and paid them to sort everything out on my behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.