• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Renovation of St Albans City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
WHSmythe?

(I think it’s likely there will be some form of newsagent).

Yes, but hopefully one that doesn't so openly rip people off. WHSmith travel locations are particularly bad and I'm not sure it's down to higher rent. The company feel they can charge more to a captive audience at airports, stations and service stations.

Oh and they increasingly have no staff. My local store in a shopping centre has a button to press to summon staff from a back office.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Believe they said “simply fresh” which is also (apparently) at Hatfield station: http://www.simplyfresh.info/

I'm not sure the Hatfield store is doing that well (opening hours seem to be shrinking, and sometimes the store doesn't open on time or shuts early) but it has a fairly good mix of products and deals. A lot of stuff comes from Coop, but some of the ready meals (the stuff people will buy on their way home when tired) are outrageously expensive.

Saint66

After 3 months away, I popped down to St Albans City last night to see how work was progressing on the revamp of the station. There's been quite a bit of progress.

Three of the attached photos show the 'new' Ridgmont Road entrance, built on the same spot as the old entrance but with space for retail.

The fourth image is of the extension that is being built onto the main entrance. Progress seems to have been a little slower on this section of the project.

In addition, platform's 2 and 3 have been widened by the removal of the old waiting area and toilets, however I did not have the chance to grab a photo.

Attachments

• 6DFC67BB-2EB3-4A37-8815-FBFE23DB46AB.jpeg
    6DFC67BB-2EB3-4A37-8815-FBFE23DB46AB.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 27F68C76-CCD4-4FF2-8CA9-58C7B82F3512.jpeg
    27F68C76-CCD4-4FF2-8CA9-58C7B82F3512.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 124
  • CAF64140-02B1-467B-823B-2FF827A72D20.jpeg
    CAF64140-02B1-467B-823B-2FF827A72D20.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 89AD70BB-D0EF-4242-9FFA-1061A112C426.jpeg
    89AD70BB-D0EF-4242-9FFA-1061A112C426.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
After 3 months away, I popped down to St Albans City last night to see how work was progressing on the revamp of the station. There's been quite a bit of progress.

Three of the attached photos show the 'new' Ridgmont Road entrance, built on the same spot as the old entrance but with space for retail.

The fourth image is of the extension that is being built onto the main entrance. Progress seems to have been a little slower on this section of the project.

In addition, platform's 2 and 3 have been widened by the removal of the old waiting area and toilets, however I did not have the chance to grab a photo.

To be honest, it’s not that much progress in 3 months. More than half of the Ridgmont Road entrance was built and in service well before lockdown. You can see where the first part ‘finished’ as it is where the brickwork is being tied in.

The platform works on 2/3 were done around 6 months ago.

Bedpan

Established Member
Apostrophe police at the ready...
View attachment 64797

Hopefully this won't be like the upgrade of Harpenden where a new gateline building was built immediately before the new footbridge was constructed, it was open mere weeks before it was mothballed.
Sorry to be so late responding to this, but the "new" gateline you are referring to, assuming it was the one on the up side was never intended to be anything other than temporary whilst the new footbridge was being constructed. it would have been in a ridiculous position for a permanent structure - you had to walk quite a long way down the car park to get to it, and then retrace your steps to get to the footbridge if yo wanted to travel from a different platform.

Saint66

To be honest, it’s not that much progress in 3 months. More than half of the Ridgmont Road entrance was built and in service well before lockdown. You can see where the first part ‘finished’ as it is where the brickwork is being tied in.

The platform works on 2/3 were done around 6 months ago.

The more I think about it the more I remember what it was like just before lockdown! I think not visiting for 3 months helped me forget haha.

Still, at least there is some progress... I note that they're only now building the part of the Ridgmont Road entrance that will house the gateline.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The more I think about it the more I remember what it was like just before lockdown! I think not visiting for 3 months helped me forget haha.

Still, at least there is some progress... I note that they're only now building the part of the Ridgmont Road entrance that will house the gateline.

Well, this is of course the job (along with the second footbridge) that was given to GTR as part of the franchise to demonstrate how much quicker and more efficient TOC delivery is compared to Network Rail.
In 2014.

John Webb

Established Member
Has a decision actually been taken on where/how to site the new footbridge? I've not been anywhere near the place since March 25th and have rather lost contact with what's going on!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Has a decision actually been taken on where/how to site the new footbridge? I've not been anywhere near the place since March 25th and have rather lost contact with what's going on!

There’s only one place it can feasibly go. But I haven’t seen any plans whic show that.

adamedwards

My understanding is the bridge has to go south of the road bridge (which is indeed about the only place it realistically can). Stairs to the island platform will be tight but then the passengers will be split between the two. The talk I heard this at given by a GTR member of staff to local cyclists also said one criterion is making sure the footbridge is far enough from the road bridge that fare evaders are not tempted to jump the gap and land on the 25kv cables!

AM9

Veteran Member
Bumping this, as tucked away in this morning’s announcement about the ‘acceleration unit’ in DfT, funding has been confirmed for the second bridge.

Great news. It will change many people's journeys to and from the station as it will be a lot easier to exit into Ridgmont Road.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Great news. It will change many people's journeys to and from the station as it will be a lot easier to exit into Ridgmont Road.

I do hope the engineers have been sensible and not building one that is several meters higher than the adjacent road bridge.

adamedwards

I assume the determining factor will be clearance over the overhead wires. As these dip down under the road bridge one would hope that would determine the height. As there is never going to be a 125mph limit through the curve, I cannot see any reason to allow for full height wires as on GWR.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I assume the determining factor will be clearance over the overhead wires. As these dip down under the road bridge one would hope that would determine the height. As there is never going to be a 125mph limit through the curve, I cannot see any reason to allow for full height wires as on GWR.

The standards say that all new overbridges have to allow for future European gauge and full height OLE.

In this case, the (rather significant) bridge next door will be a constraint on any future European gauge and full height OLE. Indeed those that know Victoria St will know that it would not be possible to raise the road bridge because of the approaches either side, or at least not without demolishing a significant quantity of central St Albans property, including either a church or a pub. There is no reason the new footbridge needs to be any higher.

The issue isn’t cost, but passenger walk time over the bridge. If it is too high many people won’t use it, which defeats the whole point.

adamedwards

St Albans City platform 1 foundations for the second footbridge now visible.

I know this isn't electrification but shows developments on the MML route more generally.

The bridge is north of the main road bridge and is needed to ensure platforms can be cleared in the peak hours.

St Albans new footbridge.jpg

59CosG95

Established Member

I know this isn't electrification but shows developments on the MML route more generally.

The bridge is north of the main road bridge and is needed to ensure platforms can be cleared in the peak hours.

View attachment 102659
I'd personally say it has a little bit to do with electrification, albeit indirectly; the new bridge *might* have to be a "fitted" overbridge (i.e. one with the glass fibre bridge arms or other registration equipment attached) or a "free-running" one (i.e. without such additions).
The brand new station concourse at Brent Cross West has had Series 1-style F+F Single Insulator Cantilevers fitted below it over the central 2 platforms (as seen here; collage of images from "Capital Delivery Eastern" on LinkedIn, also showing track renewals further north)
1631788235780.png

John Webb

Established Member

View attachment 102659
Colleagues at St Albans South box spoke with some of the workers on the line at the weekend as we held our Heritage Open days at the box. It seems that OLE changes will be needed to cope with the new footbridge although they couldn't give us details other than putting new piles in for OLE support.
Could this mean a reduction in the numbers of headspans in favour of twin-track masts, perhaps?

And could the work mentioned by westcoaster perhaps be for similar headspan removal to allow use of the OLE at 125mph? (Seems to be a bit far south of Napsbury for the TSC?)

Further to the Forum 'tidy-up', I am adding this picture of the new footbridge - it's been on display at the station for some months:
21-06-15 New footbridge design.JPG

The Trust looking after the South Signalbox has been allowed to put up a display in the unlet retail unit of the new Ridgmont Road building:
21-08-10 AB Box display 3 MOD.jpg

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Good stuff John, I hope visitor numbers pick up quickly.

Re the retail unit at the main entrance, word on the street is that Sainsbury’s have taken it, but I’ve seen nothing that confirms it yet.

Aictos

Established Member
Thank you all for the updates above, pity there's no return of Pumpkin or WHSmiths though or least no mention yet.

59CosG95

Established Member
Colleagues at St Albans South box spoke with some of the workers on the line at the weekend as we held our Heritage Open days at the box. It seems that OLE changes will be needed to cope with the new footbridge although they couldn't give us details other than putting new piles in for OLE support.
Could this mean a reduction in the numbers of headspans in favour of twin-track masts, perhaps?
Almost certainly TTCs in this case. Installing a portal that isn't at 90 degrees to the rails is usually only used if no other option is available.

Tobberz

If you'll let me stray into fantasy a bit, if I were in power with infinite money, I'd replace the station with an overhead concourse (similar to Reading) with a major exit onto the road bridge.

It's a little amusing to see the new footbridge so close to the road bridge but without an exit possible.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If you'll let me stray into fantasy a bit, if I were in power with infinite money, I'd replace the station with an overhead concourse (similar to Reading) with a major exit onto the road bridge.

It's a little amusing to see the new footbridge so close to the road bridge but without an exit possible.

Wouldn’t be very passenger friendly, asking every passenger to use stairs / lift.

Currently a clear majority of passengers enter at street level and straight onto Platform 1 for their train, and getting on for half of passengers alighting a train arrive on Platfrom 4 and leave the station at street level.

AM9

Veteran Member
Wouldn’t be very passenger friendly, asking every passenger to use stairs / lift.

Currently a clear majority of passengers enter at street level and straight onto Platform 1 for their train, and getting on for half of passengers alighting a train arrive on Platfrom 4 and leave the station at street level.
Adding to that, Victoria St. Bridge isn't the widest of thoroughfares. With hundreds of pedestrians pouring out onto narrow pavements it wood be less than helpful to eastbound traffic trying to clear the junction behind.

John Webb

Established Member
The new footbridge is angled such as to discharge towards the recently enlarged Platform 4 exit on the other side of the Victoria Street bridge to encourage use of that entrance, particularly in the evening. Having the two entrance/exits to the station away from Victoria Street means that set-down and pick-ups are not clogging the main road too much. Although the traffic lights at the Victoria Street/Alma Road-Beaconsfield Road junction have recently had some work done on them, they could be improved significantly to allow better traffic flow in the vicinity of the station.

class387

Established Member
My friend sent me this picture from St Albans City today - any idea what these boxes are for? Think they're new and we've never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• IMG-20211013-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211013-WA0000.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.