• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Renumbering Coaches / Locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
I am modelling Southern / Western but most coaching stock is Midland / Eastern.

Do you know anywhere where I can get renumbered coaches for less than the £25 per coach charged by TMC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
As I found out myself, you are probably better off learning to do it yourself in the long run :)

reddragon

Established Member
I have done it years ago by painting over the old number & using transfers, but modern stuff is very good and I worry!

Peter C

Established Member
I can't think of anywhere which would offer the service off the top of my head. As with @Iskra's post above, it might be best to do it yourself. This video from Chadwick Model Railway shows you how (and how not) to do it:

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
There are various options depending on how the factory has applied the numbers. The easiest were Kader produced models for Mainline, Replica and some Bachmann where enamel thinners will remove them; just watch out out that lining is not damaged. Has also worked on some recent Hornby models.
A seemingly crazy option is simply to rub directly on the digit with a wooden cocktail stick or tooth pick. A version of that is use T-cut as well but I have have never had to.
A further weird version that has recently been found is to rub over the numbers with a Sharpie marker and then wipe both the marker and the numbers away with a brush soaked in acrylic thinners.
An old simple mention that is properly difficult today was to use a typists eraser pencil from the days of typewriters

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am modelling Southern / Western but most coaching stock is Midland / Eastern.

Do you know anywhere where I can get renumbered coaches for less than the £25 per coach charged by TMC?
If you are willing to learn/give it a go if would go with what Iskra suggests:
As I found out myself, you are probably better off learning to do it yourself in the long run :)
I would agree, especially as in my case not only do I have plenty of stock requiring renumbering but some of the stock might not be done by a UK based firm as Irish stock is a bit more niche

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess I can practice on my older Mainline coaches! Long time since I last tried :)

I think that’s the best thing to try first. I’ve got a glass fibre pencil which I bought to remove digits off something and that worked well.

BRblue33

I use a cocktall stick and T cut. Or use a cotton bud . On some lima models you can use Sellotape. Put it over the number rub with a cocktall stick take it off. The number may come off. I've done it this way on a few Lima class 73's. With T cut take your time don't go to hard and take the paint off aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.