• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Repetitive noise heard over one wheel of a Southern 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar

I was in carriage 7 of 8 on a Southern 455 doing Sutton to Victoria via Norbury. I happened to be sitting right on top of a wheel emitting a bang-bang-bang noise which varied according to the speed of the train. By moving around the carriage and into the next carriage I proved to myself that it was just one particular wheel.

Having made a note of the number of that particular car, I made my way up the the front of the train and handed a note to the driver when I got off at Clapham Junction, including a guess that it was a wheel flat .

Would I have been right or is there a more likely cause? Would a wheel flat be enough to take the train out of service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanDaDriver

Would a wheel flat be enough to take the train out of service?

There are wheel impact load detectors (wheelchex is one type) at various points on the network. If your wheelflat is severe you will activate one of those the signaller will let you know.

Small ones can run themselves out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.