• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replacement season ticket still not working in barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hello all,

After renewing my season ticket recently, it stopped working in the automatic barriers at my destination station (my origin doesn't have barriers). This means I often have to wait in the long manual-check queue for disabled people/people with unusual tickets/people with bulky luggage etc.

I have been to get a replacement ticket but this still doesn't work in the barriers. It's not just one barrier (tried several at destination) or one station (didn't even work at the fast, excellent New Street barriers). Previous season tickets of exactly the same route issued by exactly the same ticket office have worked just fine.

I am of course going to get it replaced again tonight, but what recourse/solution is there if my ticket still doesn't work after the second reissue? NRCoT explicitly gives me the right to a replacement if the season ticket doesn't work in the barriers (Condition 37.1), but this seems a pretty farcial situation given my season tickets have virtually always worked fine over the past few years when issued from the same station's ticket office and the same ticket, and that it is supposed to be getting me through barriers for the coming months!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Try getting a replacement from a different station operated by the same TOC as you bought the original ticket. They might have a different batch of ticket stock and different printer which could work out better.

_toommm_

Established Member
When you say it doesn't work, what kind of error does it give? If it's an error pertaining the mag strip, or it being unreadable, then it's a fault of the ticket if you have like you said tried more than one barrier. In this case do try and go to another station if possible.

On the other hand, if it's a question of the barrier saying the ticket isn't valid at this station, or not valid at this time, it's worth tweeting the TOC in question (repeatedly), until they fix it.

Luckily there are no ticket barriers at all in my county, but from my limited experience of them I know how frustrating they are, so I can't imagine how bad it is for you.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
When you say it doesn't work, what kind of error does it give? If it's an error pertaining the mag strip, or it being unreadable, then it's a fault of the ticket if you have like you said tried more than one barrier. In this case do try and go to another station if possible.

On the other hand, if it's a question of the barrier saying the ticket isn't valid at this station, or not valid at this time, it's worth tweeting the TOC in question (repeatedly), until they fix it.

Luckily there are no ticket barriers at all in my county, but from my limited experience of them I know how frustrating they are, so I can't imagine how bad it is for you.

It just says 'seek assistance'. As it's a 'route: any permitted' season ticket that I'm using, merely to get in/out of the destination printed thereon (no shenanigans!), it would seem highly unlikely it's thinking I'm travelling at the wrong time/route.

I have tried several stations and several barriers - both my destination, New Street and elsewhere. None have worked, whereas previously on the same route/type of season ticket they have worked fine (mostly). So I don't think it's the barriers at fault.

Could it be that the ticket machine at my origin station isn't encoding the tickets correctly, or that the ticket stock (probably still the same 'batch' since I originally got the first ticket) is faulty?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Try getting a replacement from a different station operated by the same TOC as you bought the original ticket. They might have a different batch of ticket stock and different printer which could work out better.

I will try this and report back.

_toommm_

Established Member
It just says 'seek assistance'. As it's a 'route: any permitted' season ticket that I'm using, merely to get in/out of the destination printed thereon (no shenanigans!), it would seem highly unlikely it's thinking I'm travelling at the wrong time/route.

I have tried several stations and several barriers - both my destination, New Street and elsewhere. None have worked, whereas previously on the same route/type of season ticket they have worked fine (mostly). So I don't think it's the barriers at fault.

Could it be that the ticket machine at my origin station isn't encoding the tickets correctly, or that the ticket stock (probably still the same 'batch' since I originally got the first ticket) is faulty?

If they were both issued at the same station, then it'll either be the ticket stock or the machine, but I highly doubt it'll be the machine unless you visited the same ticket booth, or it's a TOC-wide problem with the way their ticket encoders are set up.

EDIT: Where do you keep your ticket, and what does it live near in its day to day life e.g. near you wallet perse

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just got a replacement at New Street, worked fine in New Street's barriers just after issue but will have to see if it works elsewhere. I keep the ticket in my pocket, next to my phone and wallet - but I've done this for several years now without issue, so not sure what the problem is/was. Lady at the counter said the tickets had changed when the barriers were introduced at New Street - not sure if they did, or if so, how.

Bessie

You need to be careful of phones/magnets. My wife who commutes to/from London has to regularly change her Gold card as she when its get placed near such items the magnetic strip seems to get corrupted.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
You need to be careful of phones/magnets. My wife who commutes to/from London has to regularly change her Gold card as she when its get placed near such items the magnetic strip seems to get corrupted.

It seems incongruous to me that previous tickets were just fine in the same pocket next to the same phone, but now they're playing up. I suspect a faulty printer and/or ticket stock (and yes, I think it was the same desk/printer that issued it thar replaced it, as my station's ticket office is quite small).

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So, the New Street replacement is also now not working. So that's - an original ticket, a replacement ticket issued at the same original ticket office, and a second replacement (third ticket in all) issued at New Street that all have broken in the space of days?

There can only be a few explanations I think:

1) It's something I'm doing to the tickets - whilst keeping them in their plastic wallet in my pocket with my phone, the same place I've kept all my previous season tickets for more than 5 years without issue!

2) It's something to do with the ticket stock - perhaps a bad batch? But at both New Street and my local station? Seems unlikely but possible.

3) It's something to do with the ticket machines used - I believe the type is the same in New Street as at my station. Also, they haven't changed in years, so how come previous season tickets have worked?

4) It's something to do with the ticket barriers - the same ones that have been in place for years now, without recurring issues like this?

I can't for the life of me understand it, but it's certainly frustrating having to wait around in the manual queue twice a day. Any suggestions?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Has the route of the season ticket recently changed from 'Any Permitted' to 'Any - Permitted'?

boxy321

I used my new (direct debit) monthly ticket this morning. No joy in Coventry as normal but worked at New St. Yet another wait at the counter for a replacement when I get back home later.

UEF

Bought an annual ticket 2 weeks ago, currently on my 3rd replacement. What is the magnetic strip made out of, iron filings?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I used my new (direct debit) monthly ticket this morning. No joy in Coventry as normal but worked at New St. Yet another wait at the counter for a replacement when I get back home later.
If your ticket worked at New Street it suggests a problem with the barriers at Coventry, not with the ticket.

bkhtele

Almost always it is a magnet that damages the strip or faulty ticket stock. If you are sure that your ticket is not near a magnet or anything magnetic I would preserve & get the ticket replaced.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Do they no longer use 'durable' ticket stock for season tickets of one month or longer?
For the thermal print side, yes, but I'm not aware of any ability to make a magnetic strip more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.