• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reports of a fire at Carlisle Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local media say evacuated and smoke spotted - http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/l...ident-0ef61857-73b9-42db-99f3-b94382326655-ds

Smoke has been reported rising above Carlisle station, as hundreds of commuters have been evacuated.

Passengers have been pulled off trains and all services halted, as at least three fire engines respond to the incident.

Exact details have not been released, but all trains have been stopped.

All services at the station have stopped. Northern tweeted: "Due to a fire at a station at Carlisle all lines are closed."

Virgin Trains and Network Rail have also sent similar tweets. Network Rail said British Transport Police and emergency services are on the scene.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Smoke under a platform caused an evacuation and block on all lines. No significant cause of the smoke has so far been found. Trains can now run through the station and might resume calling there shortly.

Fire in the subway apparently. I'm on 1E23 currently which was ready to depart when the bells started ringing. Fortunately the signaller had already set the road so it was able to go straight out!

Kendalian

Cumbria Fire & Rescue summary of incident

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/cumbriafire/recent-incidents/default.asp

At 15:02 firefighters were called to Citadel Railway Station to heavy smoke logging in a basement of a commercial property. The crews found a fire which was out on their arrival in the basement and used a hose reel and a thermal imaging camera to check the area. The station was evacuated and no trains were permitted to stop at the train station while the incident was being dealt with, however trains were permitted to pass through the station without stopping

Last edited by a moderator:

Class 170101

Established Member
Fire in the subway apparently. I'm on 1E23 currently which was ready to depart when the bells started ringing. Fortunately the signaller had already set the road so it was able to go straight out!

They might set the road anyway. At Stansted Aiport Station trains have been known to leave early and wait time en-route rather than evacuate the train as well.

Kendalian

Sorry wasn't aware I had broken the forum rules by linking to Cumbria Fire & Rescue website.

Couple of my mates work their guts out for CF&RS.

Insulting frankly.

Kendalian

Just bear in mind Cumbria F&R were the last (and we would all hope THE last) F&R service to recover a deceased customer from a UK train.

3 miles from where I lived for many years.

Now perhaps YORKIE you'll see why you've struck a nerve by moderating my post, which was made in good faith, to provide other members with up to date information from the authorities.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't understand why I've struck a nerve; by providing a quote we ensure that the forum is easy to use for our members who use mobile devices, or who access the forum in the not too distant future (that hyperlink goes to the latest incidents; today's incident will soon drop off the top) and especially our blind members/readers.

I know just how much our blind members appreciate having such quotes. if we do not provide them, their screen-reading software would have to read out every single line of text on that page before they got to the particular incident (which, if viewing in a couple of days time, could be rather time-consuming).

These are the reasons our members chose to incorporate the requirement for quote in our Forum Rules; there is no intention to strike a nerve whatsoever.

BlueFox

Sorry wasn't aware I had broken the forum rules by linking to Cumbria Fire & Rescue website.

Couple of my mates work their guts out for CF&RS.

Insulting frankly.

You didn't break the rules by linking to their site. You broke the rules by not also providing a quote from the link.

Kendalian

You didn't break the rules by linking to their site. You broke the rules by not also providing a quote from the link.

That's fine then I won't post again.

So much for trying to help and post up to date information.

najaB

Veteran Member
A link to the main page is only useful for as long as the incident is on the page. By providing a link and a quote it's useful tomorrow, next week or next year. It's no different to me saying "Have a look at this really interesting story: http://news.bbc.co.uk"

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I don't understand why I've struck a nerve; by providing a quote we ensure that the forum is easy to use for our members who use mobile devices, or who access th forum in the not too distant future (that hyperlink goes to the latest incidents; today's incident will soon drop off the top) and especially our blind members/readers.

I know just how much our blind members appreciate having such quotes. if we do not provide them, their screen-reading software would have to read out every single line of text on that page before they got to the particular incident (which, if viewing in a couple of days time, could be rather time-consuming).

These are the reasons our members chose to incorporate the requirement for quote in our Forum Rules; there is no intention to strike a nerve whatsoever.

If I might expand on this firstly by confirming how helpful quotes are but also pointing out that I am both blind and someone who uses screen reading tech on a mobile device. This is particularly handy if bashing or travelling for another reason.

Carlisle is of course an important junction station, not far from the border and used heavily by many and a logical turnback if the jobs stopped either North or South of it. I am not the only one in this situation either, both in terms of disability but also using this particular station for its excellent trains, facilities and the range of onward road connections offered plus the vast array of goods, services and accommodation in the border city.

This reply is not meant to upset but more as a practice demonstration of what I see as a good bit of moderation.

For further examples see the trip planning and reports section of the forum

Blindtraveler

Established Member
And to one and all do do please please keep posting updates etc as its so handy. Full marks to the guys and girls at Cumbria Fire and Rescue youve earned special praise over the years for dealing with so many incidents of all kinds in emergencies and of course special to us on here the tragic Pendalino accident where to get people out alive was amazing given the tumble it took.

Please nobody take offence here, withoug handy info like that in this and many other threads one of the forums strongpoints i.e keeping industry staff and other users informed as incidents develop will dy.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don't understand why I've struck a nerve; by providing a quote we ensure that the forum is easy to use for our members who use mobile devices, or who access the forum in the not too distant future (that hyperlink goes to the latest incidents; today's incident will soon drop off the top) and especially our blind members/readers.

Just perhaps to put a bit of balance to this from my perspective a user of this site mainly via computer and occasionally a mobile device. The computer is far easier to use in terms of manipulating and copying links as well as copying and pasting text from elsewhere. However to do this from a mobile is far from easy and I sometimes won't copy the text from the article that I am linking to because I am unable to do so.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just perhaps to put a bit of balance to this from my perspective a user of this site mainly via computer and occasionally a mobile device. The computer is far easier to use in terms of manipulating and copying links as well as copying and pasting text from elsewhere. However to do this from a mobile is far from easy and I sometimes won't copy the text from the article that I am linking to because I am unable to do so.
No problem - just add a note to say you'll add it later. If you're unable to do it, then just contact us to let us know.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
No problem - just add a note to say you'll add it later. If you're unable to do it, then just contact us to let us know.

Indeed, should someone post this another helpful member will almost always have posted a suitable quote within a couple of hours.

Crossover

Established Member
That's fine then I won't post again.

A complete over-reaction!

I have had the same done to my posts when I have not been in a position to add a quote and it has been attended to prior to my getting back to a position where I can.

kentuckytony

Not a big deal, but when I read the expression in the first post of "...passengers have been pulled off trains", after that jet incident in the USA, I had images of people being literally pulled off physically.
Not an American English idiom, I guess.:|

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not a big deal, but when I read the expression in the first post of "...passengers have been pulled off trains", after that jet incident in the USA, I had images of people being literally pulled off physically.
Interesting. And actually quite understandable!

It's not good English in my opinion. You would almost certainly not read such a statement on, say, the BBC News website (unless it was a direct quote, in quote marks). It's open to interpretation and, while I wouldn't necessarily take it literally in this context, it's not best practice.

However, based on the evidence I've seen, many local newspapers tend to employ poor quality journalists, who appear to be rushing to type up any old rubbish to tight deadlines, hence the term "local rag" is often used.
local rag

noun

informal, humorous, depreciative
A local newspaper, especially one regarded as lacking quality or substance.
Their websites are also known for containing ludicrous quantities of poor quality, intrusive adverts.

Anyway fortunately this was a very minor incident. Such minor incidents are often 'hyped up' by local media and never make it to national media.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

"Pulled off" has several meanings. Ahem!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ahem:

Appropriate
  • Please ensure your contributions are suitable for the wide age range we have as forum members. We have a duty to ensure that offensive material has no place on this forum, and that content remains family friendly.

;):lol:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.