• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reprinting a damaged ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie1729

Today I was given a paper ticket day travelcard which has unfortunately stopped working the barriers. I asked at two ticket offices but they said they were unable to reprint it for me. Is there a reason for this? What if I’d got my ticket wet or something, would it be replaced then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freddie1729

I just got trapped at an unstaffed tube station! Surely this is a good a reason as any to allow a reprint

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s more likely to be poor programming of the barriers rather than the mag stripe ceasing to work. The mag stripe is prone to wearing out on a season ticket but not on a one day ticket. I still come across instances where barriers reject perfectly valid tickets - Waterloo NR station being an example from last Saturday.

I agree with @yorkie in that Underground policy is to leave unmanned gatelines open.

A Challenge

Established Member
If a gateline is unattended, it's LU policy that it must be left open.
Despite policy (and it is policy) it obviously wasn't, or else the 'responsible' member of staff was hidden away, which I gather isn't rare. I am just glad I've not had a travelcard fail on me (somehow) - at least not that I can remember! I have generally found the operation of barriers by travelcards to be very good, I can't think of an occasion off the top of my head on which it has been rejected anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where exactly was the ticket issued?

And where was the issue with the barriers?
I understood that tickets were non-transferable?
That's right, but that's a whole different subject to the one under discussion in this thread!

NeilWatson

That means you can't give it to someone else to use, not that it is non-replaceable (that they can't be replaced)

That's right, but that's a whole different subject to the one under discussion in this thread!

The OP stated 'I was given a ticket....' hence my comment.

freddie1729

The ticket was issued at Cambridge station (collected from a machine) and it was a zones 1-6 travelcard.

Every barrier I used didn’t work, including national rail and underground.

The OP stated 'I was given a ticket....' hence my comment.

I meant I got it from a ticket machine. No one gave it to me. Should’ve made that clearer!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s likely to be to do with the way the ticket has been encoded.

I had a similar issue with a Stevenage issued Travelcard about a year ago. A helpful member of this forum who worked for VTEC (as was at the tine) contacted me for more details and managed to sort it.

Kingsbury Jn.

I have yet to have a Solihull to London zone 1-6 family travelcard accepted at London Waterloo NR barriers. Either printed at the TVM or by the ticket office. It's definitely the barriers!

freddie1729

I have yet to have a Solihull to London zone 1-6 family travelcard accepted at London Waterloo NR barriers. Either printed at the TVM or by the ticket office. It's definitely the barriers!

I get this ticket (Cambridge to London Travelcard) all the time and it’s never been a problem.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've had this before on a Twyford to Zones 1-6 travelcard, it was bought from a TVM, I'm assuming the encoding was corrupted somehow as all other travelcards from the TVM have worked fine

Bensonby

If the barriers are closed and there is no staff present you should find that a manual side gate is unlocked. I used to travel on LU with a police warrant card (since replaced with police oysters) and had to exit this way a few times.

freddie1729

I've had a response from TfL regarding this:

I'm sorry that there was nobody manning the gateline and your ticket was not operating the gates. I've spoken to a Duty Manager at the station. He has advised me that the gates are normally staffed and if they are not the manual gate should be left open. He will ensure all staff are aware of this. You should not therefore have this problem again but just in case there is a Help Point positioned at the gateline that allows you to speak to a member of staff in the office.

I've now asked if there is a policy on what should be done. And also pointed out that someone might get stuck in gates (happened to me before with luggage - yes I should've used the wide gate!) and might need freeing.

freddie1729

And a quick response:

Thank you for your email of 7 June in response to mine of the same date.

I will pass on your comments to the local Area Manager.

We do not have one policy for all stations. Some stations have an office nearby, where the gateline is visible, so they can respond to any issues while others do not. Generally though the manual gate should be left open if the gateline is unstaffed. We would not normally open all the gates unless it is a very busy station and very busy stations do not have unmanned gatelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.