• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request about Railway for my Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeytraveler

Hi all

I see there a lot of knowledgable people on here and from all round the world.

I was wondering weather or not you would like to help me on a little mission for my blog post i.m doing in January through into february when the post come out in February

I going to do a list of closed station by county so for example Lancashire , West Midlands, East Midlands and so on.

To do this on my own would be impossible to do, so I need your help on telling me, the station Name/s open and closed dates, Town, County. This is only open to UK Stations only at the moment.

Everyone who contributions will get mentioned in my post and the site

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harry42

Radford

Open: 1848
Closed: 1964
Town: Nottingham
County: Nottinghamshire
Region: East Midlands

Attached a picture of the site. (C) to Geograph.

No plans to reopen generally due to somebody building a student shopping complex right next to it and buses are so frequent its not needed.

Attachments

• aradford.jpg
    aradford.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16

Mikeytraveler

Would be a monster of a task, especially when there are already a lot more established websites with more info, eg http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/

Radford

Open: 1848
Closed: 1964
Town: Nottingham
County: Nottinghamshire
Region: East Midlands

Attached a picture of the site. (C) to Geograph.

No plans to reopen generally due to somebody building a student shopping complex right next to it and buses are so frequent its not needed.

Thank Guys for this

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I can give you two from my Closed Stations Journey quiz from the North Wales coast line that are not as well known as the other closed stations on that line:-

Britannia Bridge station
Open : 18.3.1850
Closed : 1.10.1858
Town : Bangor
County : Gwynedd

Conway Marsh station
Open : 1895
Closed : 1929
Town : Conwy
County : Clwyd

The eastern side of Scotland is a veritable treasure-trove of closed railway stations on both the main lines and the branches, such as the Wick and Lybster Light Railway.

Wales is another area where many closed stations can be found such as the those on the Mid-Wales Railway and those on the Aberystwyth to Carmarthen coastal line.

Mikeytraveler

I can give you two from my Closed Stations Journey quiz from the North Wales coast line that are not as well known as the other closed stations on that line:-

Britannia Bridge station
Open : 18.3.1850
Closed : 1.10.1858
Town : Bangor
County : Gwynedd

Conway Marsh station
Open : 1895
Closed : 1929
Town : Conwy
County : Clwyd

The eastern side of Scotland is a veritable treasure-trove of closed railway stations on both the main lines and the branches, such as the Wick and Lybster Light Railway.

Wales is another area where many closed stations can be found such as the those on the Mid-Wales Railway and those on the Aberystwyth to Carmarthen coastal line.

Is there a region, As i could not think what or the word

Mikeytraveler

It even includes the counties in which stations were located, but you will need a bit of reformatting (or copy & paste) if you want separate county by county lists.

I am doing the list complety differnt with tons of extras, Are county the same as Regions

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Are county the same as Regions

Nope, generally speaking a region is made up of several counties (and everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the former!). For example, the Westcountry is traditionally Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

Mikeytraveler

Are county the same as Regions

Nope, generally speaking a region is made up of several counties (and everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the former!). For example, the Westcountry is traditionally Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

Thank You for the conformation and that what i want. Counties like Dorset, London, Cornwall

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thank You for the confirmation and that is what I want. Counties like Dorset, London, Cornwall

In my earlier posting, you will have noted that I stated the names of both the counties in the North Wales area.

If you want to research a small self-contained area, have a look at Anglesey and the closed stations there.

Last edited:

Mikeytraveler

In my earlier posting, you will have noted that I stated the names of both the counties in the North Wales area.

Ok thank you and sorry if this posting is getting Confusing for some

"Modertor Please check these posts Please and make it be a bit cleary as i made it a bit Confusing"

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Of course back in the day of Paul's listed stations, Clwyd didn't exist, only Caernarfonshire ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, further to that, if we were using modern names, wouldn't both Conway Marsh / Britannia Bridge be in Gwynedd, not Clwyd?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Of course back in the day of Paul's listed stations, Clwyd didn't exist, only Caernarfonshire ;)

Good point raised there Matt. Will the current county name be used in the blog sub-divisions or will the original county name be a better historical tool in your blog ?

Some closed railway stations were closed in the period of the old county names, but more recent railway station closures have occurred under the times of the new county names.

Mikeytraveler

Will the current county name be used in the blog sub-divisions or will the original county name be a better historical tool in your blog ?

Some closed railway stations were closed in the period of the old county names, but more recent railway station closures have occurred under the times of the new county names.

I would prefer from History Point of view, i would prefer county name at time of closure wither it be Modern or Past.

My blog is History Talks

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just to give you some idea of the vast number of British closed railway stations, if you look on the Closed Stations Journey quiz, there have been 8,719 postings to date from England, Wales and Scotland. Whilst obvious duplication will have occurred in the long time that this quiz has been running, you will see some railway station names on some long-closed branch lines for example with most unusual names such as Drummuir Curler's Platform (Keith and Dufftown Railway) and Knockando House Halt (Strathspey Railway) that were both lines of the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Some closed railway stations were only opened for a very short period of time, such as that of Idle on the Leeds and Bradford Railway that opened in 1847 and closed in 1848.

Status
Not open for further replies.