• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request for help: Network Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

Does anyone know:

1. What sort of network cable I need to connect my cable modem (Motorola SB5100 if it makes any difference) to my computer?

2. Where I can obtain 20m or so of this cable, and how much?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

It does indeed include a network cable, yorkie. However it is quite a lot shorter than 20m... :P

Thanks for the link.

Met Driver

Established Member
jdan said:
However it is quite a lot shorter than 20m... :P

I used to have a 25m one before I went wireless. IIRC, it wasn't cheap. Possibly £15, maybe more.

I'd have to say if you're considering cable runs that long then whilst it may cost more in the short term then a wireless ADSL router would be the way to go, with wireless NICs in one or more PCs. Think how much easier it'll make the networking if there is more than one PC in your household, or may well be in future.

My 2d on the matter, anyway.

jd

That was my original plan, but as there's only me and my mum in my house, its highly unlikely that there will be any expansion. The only reason for the cable run is that my comp will be moving from a spare room to my bedroom, but the cable line comes into this spare room - hence a cable must be run between the two rooms. I can't see the point in going to the extra cost of wireless equipment for that one run - I've also had a lot of trouble with wireless in the past TBH. Thanks for your help though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seth said:
jdan said:

I used to have a 25m one before I went wireless. IIRC, it wasn't cheap. Possibly £15, maybe more.

£15? :shock: :? was this about 10 years ago when UTP was relatively expensive?

Met Driver

Established Member
yorkie said:
Seth said:
jdan said:

£15? :shock: :? was this about 10 years ago when UTP was relatively expensive?

No, relatively recently. Perhaps a year or so ago?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdan said:
That was my original plan, but as there's only me and my mum in my house, its highly unlikely that there will be any expansion. The only reason for the cable run is that my comp will be moving from a spare room to my bedroom, but the cable line comes into this spare room - hence a cable must be run between the two rooms. I can't see the point in going to the extra cost of wireless equipment for that one run - I've also had a lot of trouble with wireless in the past TBH. Thanks for your help though.
Agreed, and also you get more bandwidth with a direct Cat5 UTP Ethernet connection. If you're connecting two PCs together directly (ie not via a router/switch/repeater) be sure to get a crossover cable.

T

Tom

A Cat5 Patch E cable would be your best bet, even more bandwidth! :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tubechallenger said:
Cat5e has been standard for years. "Patch cable" means for "patching in", ie connecting from a switch to a patch panel, usually 0.5m in length.

jd

tubechallenger said:

LOL! Bandwidth isn't really an issue - nothing will be going down it any faster than my internet connection speed, which is 512k!

I just can't be bothered to mess about with the hassle and cost of setting up a wireless connection from my modem to my computer - there's practically no chance of any expansion, and if there is I'll just put a switch in somewhere :P .

BTW that website you linked me to, Yorkie, wants £7 for shipping, so I don't think I'll use that one :P.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdan said:
LOL! Bandwidth isn't really an issue - nothing will be going down it any faster than my internet connection speed, which is 512k!
Yeah but if you're networking 2 PCs it's often a good idea to share files/resources between the two (e.g. one printer , one backup device, etc for both. Or you can backup files between the two PCs).

jdan said:
BTW that website you linked me to, Yorkie, wants £7 for shipping, so I don't think I'll use that one :P.
Well it'd be silly to just order a cable via mail order ;)

jd

I'm NOT connecting two PCs though! I'm connecting my one lone PC to my modem.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Me uses cat5 crossover at present, cable isn't cheap though, getting wireless soon though to improve the need to trail a cable round the house.

jd

Right, you said ""Patch cable" means for "patching in", ie connecting from a switch to a patch panel, usually 0.5m in length."

So can I use that for modem<>PC?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdan said:
Right, you said ""Patch cable" means for "patching in", ie connecting from a switch to a patch panel, usually 0.5m in length."

So can I use that for modem<>PC?
No, a (real) modem doesn't use Ethernet, usually a serial cable.

However a so-called "cable modem" (which is not a modem at all) will have an Ethernet port, so yes.

Ignore the "patch" comment, it has no technical meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.