• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[REQUEST] Peterborough station in the 1980s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lek

Hello folks,

I hope a request of this kind is ok to post here. I'm looking for photos, OS maps, aerial shots and any relevant info with regards to Peterborough station in the 1980s. It was the local station in my hometown and I am planning to reconstruct an accurate model railway setup of the station as it was in the 1980s once my attic conversion is ready.

I thought it would be an easy job to get the track layout from Google earth, but it appears the station has been completely transformed over the years. I'm not sure when the current adaptations were done, as I moved out of Peterborough decades ago. From what I can gather from Wikipedia, the station remained the same between 1976, up until its renewal in 2013. I am looking to replicate the station as it was throughout the 1980s with as much detail as possible, so any photos from that era would be extremely useful. I can remember a few details such as the 08 shunter often stationed behind the left side of the station as you walk in, at the back of platform 1, although Google Earth shows that line has since been removed.

If anyone has any aerial photos, or of the station from afar, particularly the original station building, the shop & waiting areas on platform 4 & 5, as well as the lines beyond platform 5 (which have been rerun due to the addition of the new platform 6 & 7). If anyone can contribute photos or info in any way shape or form, it would be a huge help. I will also be posting any resources here as I find them, just to keep everything in one place. I'll be documenting the build on Youtube when I get started and I'll be happy to give a mention to anyone who is able to help out.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

I worked trains as a guard between Kings Cross and Peterborough between 1983 and 89 but sadly I didn't take any photos. A search on Flickr turned up this shot of the 08. We had a messroom in the little yard where the shunter was and I always remember that it was full of level crossing gates either being kept as spares or removed from the joint line. You could try posting this on the LNER Encyclopedia as one of the guys there is very knowledgeable about ECML signalling and may have access to track plans. https://www.lner.info/forums/index.php

00883 08406 Peterborough Station 19.06.85 by James Cannell, on Flickr

deltic14

I grew up in Peterborough and was a regular platform ender between 1975 and the mid 80's. I only started using a 35mm camera in 1981 but sadly took few general shots. It is not great quality but this is the view of the north end of the station one Sunday in late July 1981 as seen from Spital Bridge. It should give some idea of the track layout.

1623708634195.png

Here is another photo I found of 47 424 in the oil terminal sidings.

1623711004637.png

A 1986 view looking towards Crescent Wharf wagon works.

1623711181183.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.