• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request stops: How do you stop the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
RTT relies on Train Describer data for its live platforming information. There are many areas with Track Circuit Block which don't have Train Describer data available, on the other hand there are/have been areas with Absolute Block which do/did have Train Describer data available, this includes areas with signal boxes with levers and semaphore signals!

In this case there is no train describer data available West of Llanelli.
Thanks for the information. I read "manual signalling" and thought "does TCB count as manual?"; from your post it seems that provision of train describer data has nothing to do with how 'manual' the signalling system is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I read "manual signalling" and thought "does TCB count as manual?"; from your post it seems that provision of train describer data has nothing to do with how 'manual' the signalling system is.
Correct

A few years ago I was travelling south on the Caledonian Sleeper from Corrour. As we waited on the dark unlit short platform in deep February snow, my friend said 'what happens if the train doesn't stop?', to which I said 'well, basically we're stuffed as it's the last train south'. In truth though, whilst it's a request stop for the sleeper service, we had booked berths, so knew that the train should expect to be stopping. This it duly did, after being able to hear and then see it approaching for miles up the line.
I did enjoy the contrast between standing on the cold, dark, snowy platform and then being in the dining carriage having a haggis, neeps 'n tatties washed down with a pint of Deuchars.

Status
Not open for further replies.