• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
As a Londoner I don't have request stops anywhere near me to my knowledge - nor have I visited one but I do express full interest in visiting one soon .

I was interested in knowing what is the nearest request stop to London? There seems to be quite a lot on the Shakespeare line in Warwickshire. Any others that are closer or same distance?

I am also led to believe that there are only about 150 of these, is there a way I can find a full list of them??

Many thanks in advance and share any other interesting facts about request stops!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Just to kick off replies, I think that Swale, on the Sheerness branch has been a request stop, even if not in the current timetable. (Abroad at the moment and not convenient to check.)

Veteran Member
Just to kick off replies, I think that Swale, on the Sheerness branch has been a request stop, even if not in the current timetable. (Abroad at the moment and not convenient to check.)

No longer, ditto for the Marshlink halts.

tsr

Established Member
Berney Arms must be a contender for this thread. It's technically possible to do it as a day trip from London, albeit a mildly pointless one (there's not exactly a whole load there, though it's possible to use it as the start of an afternoon's walk if you are good at timing things like that, don't mind random weather, and don't mind navigating rural East Anglian footpaths).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Judging by the Wikipedia list above, the closest by railway geography to London is Shippea Hill.

(Disclaimer - practically non-existent service etc.)

backontrack

Established Member
Brampton (Suffolk) is probably the most accessible from London. Next easiest are the ones in Warwickshire, I'd imagine.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Berney Arms must be a contender for this thread. It's technically possible to do it as a day trip from London, albeit a mildly pointless one (there's not exactly a whole load there, though it's possible to use it as the start of an afternoon's walk if you are good at timing things like that, don't mind random weather, and don't mind navigating rural East Anglian footpaths).

Hmm when I when I went there was a pub that could be located by walking through some fields, I seem to remember that they had some trouble generating business however and shut up, hardly surprising as it wasn't really near anywhere.
Sam

RJ21

My request stop visits have been in Wales, Cumbria & Scotland, and Entwhistle near Bolton. Funniest had to be Roman Bridge on the Conwy Valley line, guard said to me when I asked 'are you sure you want get off there?', answer Yes, 'just checking'. I got back on there and the guard of that train commented on it being a rare occurrence that anyone used that stop. Probably made more unusual by being a wet day in November but I go hill walking in all weather.

PeterY

Established Member
Living in the South East, request stops don't exist. Just for the pleasure of using one I got on and off at Umberleigh (Devon) back in the spring. Never having used a request stop, it felt like I was getting on a bus holding my hand out.

6Gman

Established Member
My request stop visits have been in Wales, Cumbria & Scotland, and Entwhistle near Bolton. Funniest had to be Roman Bridge on the Conwy Valley line, guard said to me when I asked 'are you sure you want get off there?', answer Yes, 'just checking'. I got back on there and the guard of that train commented on it being a rare occurrence that anyone used that stop. Probably made more unusual by being a wet day in November but I go hill walking in all weather.

From time to time there are demands that "all stations should be staffed".

Station Master Roman Bridge would suit me fine.

:D

(And yes, I have used it.)

Kite159

Veteran Member

I will volunteer for station master at Nethertown :lol:

I've got the delights of the Conwy Valley request stops to come in October time

Last edited:

Hornet

Roman Bridge Rush Hour 13th April 1992.

D1015 Western Champion approaching Roman Bridge 19th September 2009.

Attachments

• Roman Bridge.jpg
    Roman Bridge.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 130

High Dyke

Established Member
Oddly enough I was at Hubberts Bridge on Saturday evening. A chap came asking about trains to Boston. I advised him the last stopping train had already been and gone (16:10). He was under the impresion it was still a request stop.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The only request stops I've ever used were Dduallt and Penrhyn on the Ffestiniog. I feel like I'm missing out!

Closest one to me is probably Cuckoo's Nest Halt on the Kirklees Light Railway. Standard gauge would be Damems on the KWVR, and National Rail nearest is probably Burnley Barracks.

Lincoln

Oddly enough I was at Hubberts Bridge on Saturday evening. A chap came asking about trains to Boston. I advised him the last stopping train had already been and gone (16:10). He was under the impresion it was still a request stop.

Haha. Even when it was a request stop it was only a handful of trains that could actually be requested to stop!

Parallel

Established Member
The request stops I've got off/on at have been: Dilton Marsh, Thornford, Yetminster, Chetnole, Newton St Cyres, Yeoford, Copplestone, Morchard Road, Lapford, Kings Nympton, Portsmouth Arms, Umberleigh, Chapelton, St Keyne, Causeland, Perranwell, Lelant, Sugar Loaf, Penhelig, Morfa Mawddach, Llanaber, Talybont, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Llanbedr, Pensarn, Llandanwg, Tygwyn, Talsarnau, Llandecwyn, Penychain and Abererch. Also St Andrews' Road (but that's no longer a request stop).

I find request stops fascinating to use due to them rarely being busy, and they are the extreme end of the railway station scale, with Waterloo, New St, Temple Meads etc at the other.

My favourites so far have been Abererch and Llanaber due to their proximity to the sea. Pensarn for the above but also for the small harbour. Also Portsmouth Arms for the surroundings and there basically being nothing nearby other than a pub.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Coombe Junction Halt always looked like a good one to do on the Looe Valley line when I go down to the West of England!

Which isn't a request stop (although it is best to tell the guard just in case the driver forget to go further into the stop)

geoffk

Established Member
I think Flimby and Entwistle are the only request stops I've used on the national network, plus a couple on the Isle of Man. I always thought that request stops in a built-up area are a bit odd - Deganwy and Burnley Barracks, for example.

I was told that, to stop a train at a request stop after dark, shine a torch on the track and flash it on and off. Don't shine it in the driver's face and don't wave it up and down. Is there an "official" instruction anywhere?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.