• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Requesting details on the fate of 60024 "Kingfisher"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
No idea if this thread's in the right place.

Now, I'm well aware of the surviving A4s, and I know that Kingfisher isn't one of them. Seems she was a very...active loco, if you will, judging by the number of pics I've seen of her in different places taken at different times of her life (though mainly in her BR years). Probably the second most common A4 I've seen in pics (take a guess which one's most common :D)

So Kingfisher was obviously eliminated in the 60s. So does anyone have any details on her fate, such as when she was withdrawn, where and when was she cut up, what was the last train she pulled etc.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Don't have much detail, but I've got a book called 'British Railway Steam in Colour' by Mike Vincent which has a section on ex-LNER pacifics in and around Aberdeen in 1966. It has a number of shots of 60024 working the 13:30 Aberdeen > Glasgow Buchanan Street on 27th August of that year, which the writer states was the last scheduled service ever to be booked for an A4. He also states that at this date only 60019 and 60024 were still in service. From the statement 'presumably for sentimental reasons, both locomotoves were reinstated for one return trip each between Aberdeen and Glasgow. Bittern did the trip on 3rd September and Kingfisher on 13th September', it can be inferred that they were both withdrawn between 27th August and 3rd September 1966.

He also mentions that 60532 Blue Peter was very much still alive and kicking at this date. He found it in steam at Ferryhill shed.

I hope that this is a good start for yr investigation. I'm not really much of a kettle fan, but the word 'Kingfisher' in the header jogged my memory on this one. As kettles go tho, I will admit that A4s are a bit special.

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
Thanks. Very helpful.

So Bittern did the last scheduled A4 Glasgow - Aberdeen, but Kingfisher did the last one ever? Nice.

caliwag

I do recall it standing at Perth shed, with several others from the 3 hour Buchanan street to Aberdeen service. I seem to recall it and Bittern were still in steam at the time, early '66...the others were dead. Quite a site for an ex LMS stronghold...5 A4s

According to railuk.info it was dispossed of to Hughes Bolckows, North Blyth on 31/10/66, so cut up some time before the end of '66 I guess...along with over 70 ex BR steam locos.

Here's a link to photos of Bittern and Kingfisher at work and in repose at Perth...

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Perth

David Girdwood

Kingfisher was disposed off at Blyth. I think it was in 1966, but can only confirm that after a bit of research.

I do remember a photograph taken of the locomotive, minus motion, being towed for scrap.

Bittern

Established Member
Thanks for that. I think I just came across the pic you're taking about.

Strange; I almost feel a sense of loss, yet I obviously never laid eyes on her. I don't like hearing of any loco being scrapped and find joy when hearing of one being preserved, but still, it's a bit strange when it's of a loco that was scrapped long before my time.

Yet again, she was an A after all which are by far my favourite locos ever.

sprinterguy

Established Member
When it comes to the scrapping of Gresley masterpieces, I think the loss of the original “Silver Link” must rate as one of the most criminal acts. I got very confused when I saw “Bittern” masquerading as 2509 “Silver Link” in the early nineties, unaware of its’ real identity, and later found out that the REAL Silver Link had been scrapped! The scrapping of first built A1 “Great Northern” probably ranks as second place for unfortunate scrappings. Would rather have had that one than “Flying Scotsman” (the World’s most overrated steam loco) personally, but I love anything Gresley built nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.