• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rerailing the K&ESR

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
The PW team at the Kent and East Sussex Railway were privaledged with a VIP visitor today for the second day of our Autumn mini project. The project sees us replacing 18x 60 ft bullhead rails on the section between Rolvenden and Wittersham Road.
At 9.30 the reception party were standing outside Rolvenden Station (wearing clean Hi viz and polished steel toe cap boots) awaiting our visitor none other than RailUKs "The Slash". At the appointed time a red blur appeared over the crest of the hill and the the slashmobile screeched to a halt in its reserved parking space. A junior pw man "Tree Boy" had been delegated to open the Limo door.
Cups had been specially washed up for the occasion and we then adjourned to the loco dept. mess room for morning tea.

The Slash wanted to get straight to work and during the mile walk to the worksite carried out a a strict inspection of the permanent way pointing out that our line was not maintained to the standard that he was used to at the Coventry Railway Centre.
The Slash immediately took charge of the worksite and the 10 volunteers gathered there. He immediately cut out our normal working practises such as tea and lunch breaks and drove the workers to the high level of productivity that he experiences at his full time occupation.

Tree-boy who works for another rail contractor tried to rebel and lead the workers off on strike but a quick smack round the head with a duff jack handle soon brought him in to line.

As a consequence of the Slash's new regime, at dusk we were putting in the closure rail and completing the job. Exhausted we returned to Rolvenden in a Guards Van hauled by the 08.

The Slash was treated a complimentary coke in the Star public house before the truck went ahead clearing the roads as far as lewes for the slash mobile. The Slash says that we need to work harder and that he will be taking over the gang in order to bring us up to standard.

He will be back soon. To be continued....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Yep, it's all true :D

That bloke Hutchinson wasn't much use, i frequently spotted him doing nothing, or watching others work. This i tolerated, but when he repeatedly abused key volunteers, such as Nobby, i had to step in and put him back in his place with a quick taste of the back of my hand.

I can see that the workforce has been poorly led and poorly advised by Paul1609 and i have taken over with immediate affect, i shall reframe from a full take over of the railway for now, i will get the Tenterden gang in order first {Witt rd don't seem so bad}

On my next visit, i'll be inspecting the facilities at Rolvenden. I shall decide which members of traincrew i shall keep and which i shall dispose of.
There will be a new rule that no drivers will be allowed in my messrom unless specially authorised by myself.
I'll be choosing my seat in the messroom, even if it's already taken, as nobody there is big enough to do anything about it
By the time of my next visit, i expect;
  • Rolvenden to Northiam correctly ballasted with the laid down standards of shoulder height, width and depth, ready for my inspection by foot, accompanied by my track gauge
  • All curved track correctly canted with cant marks correctly indicated on the sleepers
  • My inspection loco repainted and my inspection saloon refurbished
  • All staff correctly uniformed and wearing name badges
  • My new office at Tenterden fully installed and ready for use.

TheSlash

Established Member
I can now confirm that my Assistant Track Section Manager will be Mr Steve Trower. His successfull management of the SWT Bubble Car fleet convinced me he is the right man for the job
He will be based at Witt rd to supervise operations on that section.
I'll also be bringing in Damon Cox as the new Tenterden TrackChargeman. A successfull trouble shooter, Damon has a proven track record of dealing with difficult staff, he has previously walked into disaster zones such as certain internet forums and turned them around, which was the key factor in my decision to appoint him to this post. He can bring leadership, technical knowledge and hands on skill and experience to the gang.

Status
Not open for further replies.