• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reserved seats not reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

So after a few problems with my Edinburgh to Lockerbie FTPE service, mostly being promised trains by station staff, buying first class tickets and ending up on a bus, I decided to give FTPE as little of my money as I can and booked a standard class Advance tickets with my YP discount.

On both occasions I've shown up for the train only to find that my seats have not been booked. No power outlet on the train means I can't work with my computer and that means my time is wasted.

Is this something that happens often, or is today just a one off? I'm really rather upset with FTPE today!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
There are only sockets in First Class on the 185s, so there's nothing you can do about that. I have, however, also had problems with the booking engine not booking the seats on Scotrail. I let it drop because the train was quite quiet, and my seat was only booked for after I got off, but wasn't impressed.

A lot of this maybe seems to stem from the station staff. Am I right in saying that they're Scotrail staff (despite probably never seeing a Scotrail train?). It may be worthwhile writing to Scotrail if they are.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Do they? I've never noticed them, but if there are I retract my statement.

clagmonster

Established Member
If you reserve a seat and said seat is not reserved, according to page 14 of TPE's passenger charter you are entitled to 50% of your ticket cost in rail travel vouchers. My advice would be to ask the guard to endorse the tickets as he passes through the train.
On your first point, were you given a seat reservation for a train with your first class ticket?

ashworth

Established Member
On 3 occasions all on Saturday mornings in recent months I have travelled on the 0745 EMT service from Nottingham to Norwich.
Two of these journeys was just from Noittingham to Grantham to connect with a train to Kings Cross and the other occasion I was travelling all the way to Norwich. On all of these occasions I have had a reserved seat but there have never been any reserved seats on that train. It was never a problem because the train starts from Nottingham and there was always plenty of spare seats.

Since EMT took over the Liverpool to Norwich I have very often been on trains with no seat reservations on this route. There are times when these trains are full and leave passengers behind at Manchester and Stockport. Does this mean if you have an AP ticket with a reserved seat that you may not be allowed to board the train if it is full. This may especially be the case if it is service that has no reservations that day.

John @ home

Established Member
If you reserve a seat and said seat is not reserved, according to page 14 of TPE's passenger charter you are entitled to 50% of your ticket cost in rail travel vouchers.

I can't find TPE's passenger charter on its website, which has been re-designed for style rather than substance, but this is more generous than I would expect.

The best compensation I have seen if a seat reservation is not honoured is 50% of the ticket cost for that part of the journey if you need to stand as a result.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.