• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reserved Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmbarton

I've been trying to book tickets to travel from Lichfield TV to Huddersfield sometime in either late October or November. I would most likely be getting there sometime after 10am, and coming away sometime after 4pm.

I've tried a variety of different dates including both weekdays and weekends, and I've also tried going via Manchester Piccadilly, and via Derby, but none of these journeys are showing any reserved seats available. I'm a bit worried about going without a reserved seat, but there just don't seem be any - are they really all already taken or am I missing a trick somewhere?

I'm happy to go either way, but if I go via Manchester then I need longer than the 12 minutes to change because the Huddersfield train leaves from the lower level (?) platforms.

I've made this journey before with reserved seats so they've definitely been available in the past, and I don't think I booked any earlier then.

Any suggestions, or is it just me being dense?!

David

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
November 3rd (just a random date I tried) has plenty of advances from LTV to MAN, so reservations are available. I can't see why you then couldn't get a reservation on MAN-HUD service separately, although this would have to be done on a walk-up fare as there are no advances between MAN and HUD. I just provisionally reserved some seating between MAN and HUD and back, so it's perfectly possible. You just need to book two lots of tickets. In my experience trains to Huddersfield leave from platforms 1-3, or platform 13 (or is it 14) depending on whether they originate from Manchester Airport or Liverpool Lime Street respectively .

Last edited:

dcmbarton

I just provisionally reserved some seating between MAN and HUD and back, so it's perfectly possible. You just need to book two lots of tickets.
In that case, I wonder whether the problem is simply that I'm trying to do it as one return rather than splitting it?

Established Member
That shouldn't affect getting seat reservations.

Also depends on which train you take from Man Pic. Should offer you the faster TPE service which has seat reservations, but if it is a Northern service they do not. Also I remember reading that there are engineering works on between Stalybridge and Huddersfield in the near future so check that as well before booking.

wintonian

Established Member
30th October and 1st November Lichfield TV - Huddersfield, East Coast wouldn't let me reserve any seats when I tried.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As documented in other threads, LM services are only reservable in the sense that they have a quota for Advance tickets.

TPE occasionally do this for sporting events, but normally seats are reservable though labels are not always put out. Manchester-Huddersfield is only around 30 minutes.

XC between Tamworth & Sheffield (and Wakefield) will of course be reserveable, but Sheffield or Wakefield to Huddersfield (Northern) are not.

wintonian

Established Member
As documented in other threads, LM services are only reservable in the sense that they have a quota for Advance tickets.

TPE occasionally do this for sporting events, but normally seats are reservable though labels are not always put out. Manchester-Huddersfield is only around 30 minutes.

XC between Tamworth & Sheffield (and Wakefield) will of course be reserveable, but Sheffield or Wakefield to Huddersfield (Northern) are not.

That’s what I was thinking but It won't let me reserve a seat between Manchester Pic and Stoke on Trent using Virgin, if I put in the through journey.

dcmbarton

That’s what I was thinking but It won't let me reserve a seat between Manchester Pic and Stoke on Trent using Virgin, if I put in the through journey.
Yes, this is the one I was particularly thinking about.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I managed to find reserved seats on the 5th and 26th Nov, and booked for the latter, but I did have to do it as individual journeys for the seats to show up. Managed to get it for about £20 by splitting at Stoke and Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.