• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reserving seat on LNER website

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Trying to purchase Off Peak Glasgow to Portsmouth ticket on LNER Website. Trying to book seat on 0648 Glasgow to London Kings X on July the 20th , It wont allow me to book seat on service, comes up with error code 906 . Ive checked Glasgow to London Kings Cross X only and theres seats availible.

I take it i have to buy ticket elsewhere and request a reservation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The problem is around the leg on South Western Railway rather than LNER. From the error message it would appear that Avanti have made the ticket type subject to mandatory reservation*, so it is never going to work because the SWR train is not reserveable. If this is the ticket you require, then I think you will have trouble buying it even at a station but that appears to be the best hope.

*LNER did not take this approach because they were specifically advised that it would cause problems exactly like this.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Trying to purchase Off Peak Glasgow to Portsmouth ticket on LNER Website. Trying to book seat on 0648 Glasgow to London Kings X on July the 20th , It wont allow me to book seat on service, comes up with error code 906 . Ive checked Glasgow to London Kings Cross X only and theres seats availible.

I take it i have to buy ticket elsewhere and request a reservation?
TrainSplit is offering me a seat on that service on 20 July. Sounds like LNER's booking engine is being its usual dodgy self.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The problem is around the leg on South Western Railway rather than LNER. From the error message it would appear that Avanti have made the ticket type subject to mandatory reservation*, so it is never going to work because the SWR train is not reserveable. If this is the ticket you require, then I think you will have trouble buying it even at a station but that appears to be the best hope.

*LNER did not take this approach because they were specifically advised that it would cause problems exactly like this.
Not sure what fare type you have in mind that is subject to mandatory reservations. Off-Peak Singles/Returns (SVS/R) aren't AFAICT.

Haywain

Veteran Member
TrainSplit is offering me a seat on that service on 20 July. Sounds like LNER's booking engine is being its usual dodgy self.
Not at all. When the request is for a Glasgow to Portsmouth ticket the LNER site returns an error message stating that the ticket type is set for mandatory reservation and that there is no inventory for the SWR service.

Edit: I've tried Trainsplit and it doesn't offer any journeys for Glasgow to Portsmouth via Kings Cross (or York).

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not sure what fare type you have in mind that is subject to mandatory reservations. Off-Peak Singles/Returns (SVS/R) aren't AFAICT.
Perhaps you should try to make the booking on the LNER website and then read the error message. That is what I did.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not at all. When the request is for a Glasgow to Portsmouth ticket the LNER site returns an error message stating that the ticket type is set for mandatory reservation and that there is no inventory for the SWR service.

Edit: I've tried Trainsplit and it doesn't offer any journeys for Glasgow to Portsmouth via Kings Cross (or York).
Perhaps you should try to make the booking on the LNER website and then read the error message. That is what I did.
It's only LNER's site complaining about the journey. Every other site I've tried comes up with it. TrainSplit definitely offers journeys via York:
1594732349329.png

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So I have to buy this at station? And ask for reservation?
No, use a website like TrainSplit/TrainsCanBeCheaper that doesn't come up with error messages. You can get a new reservation after buying the ticket, through a ticket office or the relevant TOC's Customer Services (possibly via Twitter) if you change your mind on which train(s) you want to take.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Odd that, just so happens it's only LNER's site complaining about the journey. Couldn't possibly be a problem with the LNER site, could it... Every other site I've tried comes up with it. TrainSplit definitely offers journeys via York:
View attachment 80719
I am unable to get Trainsplit to give results for the journey.

mmh

Established Member

But the journey being asked for doesn't include Avanti - it's the LNER service from Glasgow to King's Cross.

No, use a website like TrainSplit/TrainsCanBeCheaper that doesn't come up with error messages. You can get a new reservation after buying the ticket, through a ticket office or the relevant TOC's Customer Services (possibly via Twitter) if you change your mind on which train(s) you want to take.
I am unable to get Trainsplit to give results for the journey.

Trainsplit will give me a split ticket one way itinerary with a mixture of Advance Singles and a London Travelcard, but won't give me any results for a normal off-peak (or on) ticket, which given the original poster's other questions in other threads about the validity of break of journey on routes between Glasgow and London and Portsmouth and Manchester is presumably what they need.

EDIT: not presumably, it's what they specifically asked for!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Trainsplit will give me a split ticket one way itinerary with a mixture of Advance Singles and a London Travelcard, but won't give me any results for a normal off-peak (or on) ticket, which given the original poster's other questions in other threads about the validity of break of journey on routes between Glasgow and London and Portsmouth and Manchester is presumably what they need.

EDIT: not presumably, it's what they specifically asked for!
TrainsCanBeCheaper.info, TrainSplit's sister site, will offer just that.

mmh

Established Member
Thetrainline appears to work. £181 for an off-peak return with reservation on the 0648 Glasgow to Kings Cross.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thetrainline appears to work. £181 for an off-peak return with reservation on the 0648 Glasgow to Kings Cross.
It also works on Avanti's own website, so it looks a bit hit and miss.

route101

Established Member
Will either purchase on Avanti or train split.

Annoying i cant purchase on LNER.

On a side note , can you reserve a seat with an existing ticket on Avanti with off peak? Like LNER on website.

Status
Not open for further replies.