• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Residential Travel Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego1234

Hi,

I work for GWR at Paddington. I'm moving to South London and will need to use the train when I can't drive in to work.

Am I right in thinking that I can only get a discounted residential travel pass for a minimum period of a month? I'll probably need to use the train 2 weeks out of 4 so in effect will be paying out unnecessarily for when I'm not using the train.
Is there a way around this?

Also as I'm non-safeguarded, I assume I will have pay to full oyster fare between Victoria to Paddington?

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi,

I work for GWR at Paddington. I'm moving to South London and will need to use the train when I can't drive in to work.

Am I right in thinking that I can only get a discounted residential travel pass for a minimum period of a month? I'll probably need to use the train 2 weeks out of 4 so in effect will be paying out unnecessarily for when I'm not using the train.
Is there a way around this?

Also as I'm non-safeguarded, I assume I will have pay to full oyster fare between Victoria to Paddington?

Many Thanks
That's correct, Priv seasons are for monthly or longer with no discounts available on weekly tickets. And yes, you would have to pay the full public fare on London Underground. Maybe use a Boris bike instead of the underground?

diego1234

Thanks for the info, I just find it amazing that the current options won't allow me to purchase ad-hoc tickets when I need them to get to work and not be forced into paying for a minimum of a month!

In theory I could then travel not in work uniform using a priv and then just get changed at work?

I heard that Crossrail is classed as NR & not TFl so once it starts running through London I could technically get a residential pass from my home station in S.London to Paddington (via Farringdon which is on the Liz line?)

Good suggestion re.Boris bike! May do that in the nice weather!

Many Thanks

Haywain

Veteran Member
I heard that Crossrail is classed as NR & not TFl so once it starts running through London I could technically get a residential pass from my home station in S.London to Paddington (via Farringdon which is on the Liz line?)
I think the answer to that is that nobody knows for certain. But if your journey can go to Farringdon without using the underground that is quite possible.

philthetube

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I just find it amazing that the current options won't allow me to purchase ad-hoc tickets when I need them to get to work and not be forced into paying for a minimum of a month!

In theory I could then travel not in work uniform using a priv and then just get changed at work?

Good suggestion re.Boris bike! May do that in the nice weather!

Many Thanks

You could, and the odds on getting caught are pretty slim, but is it worth risking your job?

There was a thread recently about the possible consequences of abusing a priv.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've always thought this highlights the disconnect between office staff and operational staff who are actually running the railway. The inflexibility in ticketing arrangements for workers on a roster who may have to drive (or take a different transport mode/route not covered by their pass(es)) for certain shifts or during emergencies is certainly something that I would like to see looked into, given the extra costs or wasted time this places on staff so affected.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've always thought this highlights the disconnect between office staff and operational staff who are actually running the railway. The inflexibility in ticketing arrangements for workers on a roster who may have to drive (or take a different transport mode/route not covered by their pass(es)) for certain shifts or during emergencies is certainly something that I would like to see looked into, given the extra costs or wasted time this places on staff so affected.
That's nothing to do with being 'office staff' or operational. There are very many non-operational and 'office' staff who work to a roster and don't live on the route their own company operates. This sort of thing isn't even unique to the railways. The simple fact is that we all have to deal with getting to and from our place of work and, to some extent, where to live is part of the choice that we make.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's nothing to do with being 'office staff' or operational. There are very many non-operational and 'office' staff who work to a roster and don't live on the route their own company operates. This sort of thing isn't even unique to the railways. The simple fact is that we all have to deal with getting to and from our place of work and, to some extent, where to live is part of the choice that we make.
There is actually quite a large difference, because if you are operational staff then you have to work various shifts, and depending on the job, at various locations.

Accordingly, dependent on your duties you may spend quite a lot of time driving or travelling another way that you have to pay for, despite having a season ticket already paid for. Office staff who work regular hours are accordingly to get the best use out of their season ticket. Priv rate season tickets for shorter periods (or possibly even Carnets) should be available for operational staff to make up for this disparity.

philthetube

Established Member

Except that rostered office staff tend to start/finish shifts at times when public transport is running eg, 7-3 3-11 11-7, often adjusted to make the night shift slightly longer, to make travelling easier for all, operational staff can finish at virtually any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.