- 1 Sep 2018
Seen this in the local press, might be of interest to some people here. There are plans to restore the disused Station Master's House at New Milton (including painting it in LSWR colours) and turn it into a heritage centre.
MOVES to create a heritage centre in New Milton gathered momentum when permission was approved for the town’s disused railway station master’s house to host the facility.
The town council has welcomed being given the go-ahead by New Forest District Council to change the use of the 19th century building in Station Road, which has been disused for about 10 years, from a dwelling to a heritage centre/museum.
As reported in the A&T, the project – set to cost nearly £60,000 – was spearheaded by deputy mayor Cllr Keith Craze and is being carried out in collaboration with the Milton Heritage Society. The idea is to provide an attraction telling the history of Milton Parish.
It has been christened No.1 New Milton, reflecting the fact the station master’s house was the first building erected in 1886 before the town grew around it.
The town council has signed a 12-year lease for the building from South Western Railway at a peppercorn rent and has also agreed to pay for its amenities including heating, electricity and water.
Following the NFDC approval, drawings and descriptions of the proposed works – primarily painting and decorating – will be submitted to Network Rail’s head surveyor.
This could see the house repainted in salmon pink, white and cream – the London and South West Rail colours of the late 19th century.
It is hoped that once these have been approved the work will begin in earnest and the free-to-enter facility could be ready to open to the public from around April next year.