• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restoration of Weekend Late night services on FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphilb

I have tried to look for a related previous thread but can't spot one, so please forgive me if I am going over old ground here.

I have read from a recent press release from FCC Thameslink (I believe, as I can't find the press release again to confirm) that with the restoration of the Thameslink Services through central London, 2 later trains on Saturday night were going to be extended and go all the way to Brighton.

Whilst this move is very welcome, does anyone know of any plans to bring those same trains back to London? I know the arguments used against similar moves (rowdy behaviour from drunks, engineering works etc) but I am wondering if these are still as valid today as they once were. I contend that with longer pub opening hours (and Brighton does indeed have some very late hours in many, if not most of its pubs/clubs etc), the rowdy drunks might be spread out over a longer period and may indeed lessen the likelihood of bad behaviour on the current last trains, as these will be less crowded and the potential for flashpoints reduced.

As someone who enjoys a day out in Brighton, I am often frustrated by the timing of the last train back to London. If you go to a concert or a play and wish to go for something to eat afterwards, it is a struggle to catch the last train. Also in the summer months, most hotels are reluctant to take a booking for a single night on Saturday with usually a minimum stay of 2 - sometimes 3 nights. Those who do accept single night bookings tend to be booked up very quickly.

A later service till 1 am or 2am at least on saturday nights would do much to alleviate these problems.

I would welcome any thoughts, insider knowledge etc of any such plans - or indeed recent definite decisions not to offer such a service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member

tsr

Established Member
Metrobus run a bus from Brighton to Three Bridges at 0100 and 0300 on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which connect into the overnight trains between Three Bridges and London.

http://www.metrobus.co.uk/download/7835.1/route-n73-timetable-01072011/?disposition=inline

National Express run coaches from Brighton to Gatwick and Heathrow at 0100 and 0300 every night. You can connect into the trains at Gatwick and buses at Heathrow.

I have to say that those timings are optimistic, given some of the night roadworks you can get in the area. I'd be happier with a "bus replacement train" ;) !

Status
Not open for further replies.