• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction 9D on the outward portion of a Canterbury-Bradford Super Off Peak Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm333

According to BR Fares the restrictions on this are:

Not valid on trains timed to depart:

- London Terminals (except as shown below) after 02:59 and before 09:06 and after 14:59 and before 18:59 (18:15 on Fridays);
- London Liverpool Street after 04:29 and before 09:30
(Then other London terminals and nearby locations).

Does the absence of evening hours on the Liverpool Street line mean that there’s no evening peak restriction on this ticket from Liverpool Street?

I’m hoping to catch the 1326 from Canterbury and then get the 1457 Grand Central service from Kings Cross to Bradford. But if, of my own making, I miss it, can I get the 1426 and then change at Stratford International and head north via Stratford Regional, Harlow Town, Cambridge, Ely and Peterborough? Rather than having to wait in London until 1900.

It also says “For journeys from the Cambridge area via Ely, or for journeys not via London or Stevenage, restriction 3V applies.” but I can’t see anything in 3V that restricts its use this way.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
It also says “For journeys from the Cambridge area via Ely, or for journeys not via London or Stevenage, restriction 3V applies.” but I can’t see anything in 3V that restricts its use this way.
Your journey is from/via London anyway so that won't apply.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
According to BR Fares the restrictions on this are:

- London Terminals (except as shown below) after 02:59 and before 09:06 and after 14:59 and before 18:59 (18:15 on Fridays);
- London Liverpool Street after 04:29 and before 09:30
(Then other London terminals and nearby locations).

Does the absence of evening hours on the Liverpool Street line mean that there’s no evening peak restriction on this ticket from Liverpool Street?

I’m hoping to catch the 1326 from Canterbury and then get the 1457 Grand Central service from Kings Cross to Bradford. But if, of my own making, I miss it, can I get the 1426 and then change at Stratford International and head north via Stratford Regional, Harlow Town, Cambridge, Ely and Peterborough? Rather than having to wait in London until 1900.

It's a valid route as far as I can tell, and there are indeed no evening peak restrictions out of Liverpool Street. However the restrictions' wording:
London Terminals ... after 14:59 and before 18:59

Would tend to suggest that you are barred from boarding a service at Peterborough which departs Kings Cross at a barred time.

However, the electronic data doesn't contain any restrictions at Peterborough and therefore journey planners are happy to issue itineraries which 'contravene' the above interpretation:

1636927823756.png

1636927833344.png

I would tread with caution.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you miss the train you need from Canterbury, you could avoid the time restrictions by purchasing an Arlesey to Bradford Off Peak Return at £93.10. This comes without any afternoon time restrictions.

You can then shop around using your 'budget' of the remaining £55.30 you'd planned to spend for your options on the day. You may wish to just use an Off Peak Return from Canterbury to Arlesey and catch a train to Peterborough that calls there. You'd be very likely to find an Advance ticket for London to Peterborough available immediately before departure for example, which may be on a train towards Leeds. There's also Peterborough to Bradford at £77.00.

This might cause some inconvenience for your return journey however if you were planning on taking a train non-stop after Doncaster again.

mm333

If you miss the train you need from Canterbury, you could avoid the time restrictions by purchasing an Arlesey to Bradford Off Peak Return at £93.10. This comes without any afternoon time restrictions.

Thank you for the Arlesey advice. I’ll refrain from buying a ticket until I get to the station at Canterbury and take the time hit heading southbound.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Thank you for the Arlesey advice. I’ll refrain from buying a ticket until I get to the station at Canterbury and take the time hit heading southbound.
No worries. As I say it may be worth doing some quick calculations if you have the time once your plans become clear on the day.

For example, there's a direct train from London Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange at 1633, so you may still be able to avoid an additional change if that's desirable, by choosing an Off Peak Return from Canterbury to London and looking for an Advance from London to Grantham on the 1633. Today and tomorrow that train appears to have no availability though so that may well be little use.

Status
Not open for further replies.