• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction BD - not valid on trains timed to depart Clapham Junction after 15:59 and before 19:10 for outward travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
Restriction BD is used by super off-peak tickets from the SWR mainline network to London. It contains the following text and the corresponding electronic restriction:

Outward travel

Additionally, not valid on trains timed to depart:
Clapham Junction: after 04:29 and before 12:01, after 15:59 and before 19:10

However, it doesn't seem to prevent travel on trains towards Waterloo which do call at Clapham Junction in the evening peak, such as 15:00 Southampton Central to Waterloo. However, if I want to change trains into Victoria or Vauxhall, the super off-peak ticket isn't offered.

What's the reasoning of this strange restriction, that a through travel can ignore the time restriction? How is the restriction determined?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

v199629

The restriction at Clapham Junction actually starts at 1610.

The 1500 Southampton to Waterloo train departs Clapham Junction at 1612 on a weekday, so there might be a few minutes leeway?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-221504.png
    Screenshot_20220512-221504.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 17

Jason12

It's not leeway, as such, but the difference between the wording of the restriction and how the data used by journey planners is set up to apply it.

Journey planners only check time restrictions at the origin and destination and any changes of train, and at the final destination of the train(s) travelled on.

If the journey is to Waterloo and the OP is not changing at Clapham Junction, journey planners don't care what time the train he's travelling on departs there. But if he tries to plan a journey to Victoria, changing at Clapham Junction and departing there at any time from 16:10 to 19:00, the journey planner will not offer the super off-peak ticket.

As an aside, I suspect the restriction itself is badly constructed and that the evening gap in validity was only intended to apply to journeys in the opposite direction, departing from Clapham Junction towards Southampton.

HST274

I believe with restrictions like these it only applies to catching a train from a station, rather than passing through it.

kieron

Established Member
As an aside, I suspect the restriction itself is badly constructed and that the evening gap in validity was only intended to apply to journeys in the opposite direction, departing from Clapham Junction towards Southampton.
The same restriction is used for some Southampton-Brighton tickets, where the TOC genuinely doesn't want people catching evening peak trains in either direction. Whether another restriction code would be better for the to-London and from-London journeys with a BD restriction is an open question.
I believe with restrictions like these it only applies to catching a train from a station, rather than passing through it.
I think I'd say "this restriction" rather than anything more general. For instance, the C0 restriction says "Not valid on trains timed to pass through London Bridge after 04:29 or before 09:45, regardless of where you join or leave the service.". Instead of that, the data for the restriction imposes a large number of "not valid on trains which arrive before some other time" constraints which don't, of course, reflect whether or not you went through London Bridge at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.