• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction code LG Nuneaton to London Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Hi all, I've tried to solve this myself but looking for advice, Super Off Peak Return from Nuneaton to London Euston for Sunday 18th April priced at £19.80 with restriction LG. The LNR website shows the arrival at Euston at 12:50 and the ticket priced at £19.80 being valid, would anyone have any clarification about this. Many Thanks in advance
Regards
Mikw

Restriction Code LG Applicable days
Mondays-Saturdays (for Sundays and Bank Holidays, see 'Notes')

Outward TravelReturn Travel
Not valid for travel on services timed to arrive London Terminals before 13:00.
Not valid for travel on northbound services timed to depart any station before 10:30.

Not valid for travel on services timed to depart the origin station on the ticket after 15:59 and before 19:01 in either direction.
A connecting service can be used to complete a journey begun at a valid time.
Not valid for travel on services timed to arrive London Terminals before 13:00.
Not valid for travel on northbound services timed to departany station before 10:30.

Not valid for travel on services timed to depart the origin station on the ticket after 15:59 and before 19:01 in either direction.
A connecting service can be used to complete a journey begun at a valid time.
Notes
Break of journey is not permitted on the outward journey on any day except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities.

1617537764294.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adoarable

The restriction’s applicable days are Monday-Saturday, so I’m guessing that’s why there’s no problem using that train on a Sunday.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presumably the OP is travelling with a valid railcard to get the fare to appear as £19.80 (otherwise it should be more like £30.00).

jfollows

Established Member
The "unpublished restrictions" at https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail...xpert=on&flow=0&multi=0&fare=3&rte=42&tkt=OPR shows all sorts of Sunday restrictions.

The wording of the LG code seems wrong also, it says for Sundays and Bank Holidays, see 'Notes'

but all that 'Notes' says is "Break of journey is not permitted on the outward journey on any day except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities. "

Something appears wrong here.

EDIT - But although the wording of the restriction confuses me, on reading it a few more times I presume the intent is to be that the only restrictions on Sundays and Bank Holidays is the "no break of journey" on the outward journey one. So perhaps this is "simply" a case of incorrect "unpublished restrictions" which are read by booking engines to prohibit Sunday journeys as well. Maybe whoever was responsible for the entry of the "unpublished restrictions" was also confused by the wording of the restriction code? I think the wording of the "Notes" section could be made clearer.

Attachments

• LG unpublished restrictions.png
    LG unpublished restrictions.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are no restrictions on this ticket on Sundays.

jfollows

Established Member
There are no restrictions on this ticket on Sundays.
To be completely pedantic, there are restrictions on this ticket on Sundays, but the restrictions only apply to prohibiting break of journey on the outward journey and not to times when the ticket may not be used. Or have I still misunderstood this?

Hi all, I've tried to solve this myself but looking for advice, Super Off Peak Return from Nuneaton to London Euston for Sunday 18th April priced at £19.80 with restriction LG. The LNR website shows the arrival at Euston at 12:50 and the ticket priced at £19.80 being valid, would anyone have any clarification about this. Many Thanks in advance
Regards
Mikw
My advice would be that you could complain to LNR in the hope that this will get the problem resolved, I think we're all pretty much in agreement with your original conclusions that you should be able to buy this ticket.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don’t think there’s anything to complain to LNR about, unless I’m missing something.

The ticket restrictions say they apply Monday to Saturday, the OP is travelling on a Sunday and LNR’s own website will sell the desired ticket to travel on a Sunday.

jfollows

Established Member
I don’t think there’s anything to complain to LNR about, unless I’m missing something.

The ticket restrictions say they apply Monday to Saturday, the OP is travelling on a Sunday and LNR’s own website will sell the desired ticket to travel on a Sunday.
I took the cut/paste in #1 to show that the £19.80 tickets were showing as "Not available" for 09:55, 10:56 and 11:00 departures from Nuneaton as well as the 17:03 departure from Euston. The 12:50 arrival at Euston (11:00 from Nuneaton with no changes) only was showing as a valid purchase for this ticket. And that this was LNR's ticket selling site. However the original poster's wording was a bit vague, so I'm certainly guilty of trying to interpret what the original problem was, and perhaps I failed?

If, as you say, the required tickets are available for purchase, then there's no problem.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The "not available" services will no doubt be those using Avanti services for all or part of the journey.

The £30.00 OPR ticket (£19.80 with railcard discount) is route WMR & LNR ONLY.

jfollows

Established Member
The "not available" services will no doubt be those using Avanti services for all or part of the journey.

The £30.00 OPR ticket (£19.80 with railcard discount) is route WMR & LNR ONLY.
Of course, thank you, that makes sense. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused by inventing a problem which doesn't actually exist!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The "unpublished restrictions" at https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail...xpert=on&flow=0&multi=0&fare=3&rte=42&tkt=OPR shows all sorts of Sunday restrictions.
No it doesn't; it says:

This restriction code applies on the following dates/days:​
From​
Until​
Applies on these days:​
Tues 6 Apr 2021​
Sun 2 May 2021​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​
Tues 4 May 2021​
Sun 30 May 2021​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​
Tues 1 Jun 2021​
Sun 29 Aug 2021​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​
Wed 1 Sep 2021​
Fri 24 Dec 2021​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​
Wed 29 Dec 2021​
Fri 31 Dec 2021​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​
Sun 2 Jan 2022​
Fri 1 Apr 2022​
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa​

Note that Sunday is explicitly omitted from the dates/days on which the restriction applies.

CrispyUK

Note that Sunday is explicitly omitted from the dates/days on which the restriction applies.
Beneath the table you have quoted on BR Fares, there then appears to be a comprehensive list of ‘Not valid to arrive/depart’ restrictions for stations which apply from Sun 4 Apr 2021 until further notice on Every Day.

One of these is below, however based on the OPs screenshot, this unpublished restriction isn’t being applied by the LNR site as it is allowing the ticket for the service arriving 1250 at Euston.

Not valid to arrive LONDON EUSTON 0230–1259 on any TOC

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Beneath the table you have quoted on BR Fares, there then appears to be a comprehensive list of ‘Not valid to arrive/depart’ restrictions for stations which apply from Sun 4 Apr 2021 until further notice on Every Day.

One of these is below, however based on the OPs screenshot, this unpublished restriction isn’t being applied by the LNR site as it is allowing the ticket for the service arriving 1250 at Euston.

Not valid to arrive LONDON EUSTON 0230–1259 on any TOC
The bit about 4 April until further notice is simply giving the period of dates during which the restrictions apply. These would typically exclude bank holidays and the period around Christmas and New Year.

The restrictions apply on certain days within that date period (in this case, Monday to Saturday each week when the date period).

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Yes indeed, but the restriction code (as a whole) does not apply on Sundays, as per the first line in the table I quoted, so it is irrelevant whether the individual time restrictions apply on Sundays or not. BR Fares just tries to give you what's there in the data. Maybe I Need to think a bit more about how to make that clearer.

The bit about 4 April until further notice is simply giving the period of dates during which the restrictions apply. These would typically exclude bank holidays and the period around Christmas and New Year.
To be pedantic, that's actually quite unusual. Usually bank holidays are handled by disapplying the entire restriction code (i.e. the first table that I quoted in my last-but-one post). Different date bands applying to individual time restrictions are much less common, and usually only used when some of the restrictions apply differently on different dates/days, e.g. as in this case where the evening time restriction appears to end slightly earlier on Saturdays, but the morning restrictions are the same as on Mon-Fri.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Yes indeed, but the restriction code (as a whole) does not apply on Sundays, as per the first line in the table I quoted, so it is irrelevant whether the individual time restrictions apply on Sundays or not. BR Fares just tries to give you what's there in the data. Maybe I Need to think a bit more about how to make that clearer.
Thank you - I was guilty of misinterpreting this after I was looking for a non-existent reason for a non-existent problem after misunderstanding the original post, but that's OK, I've learned something and I can be more careful of interpreting the data presented in future.

Mike99

Thank You for all the responses and information

I've been thinking, I asked for clarification because in the Unpublished Restrictions there is still the claim that from April 5th applying to all days No arrival at London Euston until 12:59 on every day
. Is this then wrong? regarding the 12:50 arrival. Many apologies that I've put the top half of the screen shot below the bottom half but were not all wizzers with the technology.
1617617719401.png
1617617747636.png

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
Thank You for all the responses and information

I've been thinking, I asked for clarification because in the Unpublished Restrictions there is still the claim that from April 5th applying to all days No arrival at London Euston until 12:59 on every day
. Is this then wrong? regarding the 12:50 arrival. Many apologies that I've put the top half of the screen shot below the bottom half but were not all wizzers with the technology.
View attachment 93849
View attachment 93850
It’s correct. The time restriction doesn’t apply on Sundays

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's not wrong, but you have to read the top part first - which clarifies that the restrictions associated with the restriction code only apply Mondays to Saturdays during certain periods (i.e. not during bank holidays for example, which is why the first 'start date' is given as Tues 6 April, as today is a bank holiday).

The later statement that it applies from 5 April until further notice is subsidiary, if you will, to the general period of application of the restriction code.

Status
Not open for further replies.