• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Resumption of a full timetable predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

traintraining

With most shops opening and offices most likely partially opening to at least 15-25% occupancy very soon (which could be increased slowly slowy) in a couple of weeks what is peoples opinion of the current amended emergency saturday timetable in place will remain as it is for how much longer?

i personally am predicting there will be a small-medium sized noticeable uptake come 15 june which might call for a review on the next steps, so new timetable mid july onwards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
TfL Rail (East) is already operating a full service again between Liverpool St and Shenfield.

Elsewhere presumably it will be horses for courses.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It looks like normal timetables might resume around 14 September.

What happens if we have a wider second wave would they still run the additional services or introduce a reduced timetable again?

Obviously they will have a better idea of staffing numbers than back in the original lockdown but they would have that idea now and timetables aren't being increased more fully until September.

AdamWW

Established Member

What happens if we have a wider second wave would they still run the additional services or introduce a reduced timetable again?

Obviously they will have a better idea of staffing numbers than back in the original lockdown but they would have that idea now and timetables aren't being increased more fully until September.

I suspect in Wales we're further off, as at the moment there is still apparently only sufficient staff and rolling stock to run a rather sparse service. (I don't know where all the trains went).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Remember that at least some services have been withdrawn for when the timetable restarts in September.

(Rose Hill Marple etc)

I have my doubts they will ever resume.

westv

Established Member
LNER will stop allowing refunds or fee free amendments to advanced purchase tickets from 26/8.

AdamWW

Established Member
LNER will stop allowing refunds or fee free amendments to advanced purchase tickets from 26/8.

With local lockdowns a threat at the moment, that would make advance tickets a bit of a risk I would have thought.

Trackman

Established Member
I have my doubts they will ever resume.
That's my thinking, if anything it will reduced even more.

With local lockdowns a threat at the moment, that would make advance tickets a bit of a risk I would have thought.
I nearly fell into the trap last week, Avanti were not very much forthcoming with me.
To be honest I'm sick of all this advance nonsense whilst the country is in crisis.

Howardh

Established Member

In that week Northern have a scheduled last-train Piccadilly > Bolton at the "old" time of 2331; which is juts wonderful. Whether or not it appears or gets taken out I don't know, but things are looking particularly normal from then onwards. Fingers crossed.

Howardh

Established Member
That's my thinking, if anything it will reduced even more.

I nearly fell into the trap last week, Avanti were not very much forthcoming with me.
To be honest I'm sick of all this advance nonsense whilst the country is in crisis.
Avanti's best-fare finder shows plenty of "cheap" advance tickets for a couple of weeks, although a shortage of cheap returns from London around 1940. So for me, outbound in standard at £30 and return in first for £48 @ 1940 (less railcard discount) looks a good deal. fancy a day out in and around the soho bars, especially de Hems.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Out of interest, is this referring to LNER as a retailer for all Advance fare types, or is this referring to LNER as a fare setter, changing the terms of the fares they set? There is a big difference

AdamWW

Established Member
Out of interest, is this referring to LNER as a retailer for all Advance fare types, or is this referring to LNER as a fare setter, changing the terms of the fares they set? There is a big difference

Were they previously offering free amendments/refunds to fares they didn't control? I would have assumed they couldn't do that...

Trackman

Established Member
Avanti's best-fare finder shows plenty of "cheap" advance tickets for a couple of weeks, although a shortage of cheap returns from London around 1940. So for me, outbound in standard at £30 and return in first for £48 @ 1940 (less railcard discount) looks a good deal. fancy a day out in and around the soho bars, especially de Hems.
My question was if I was put in lockdown would you refund the ticket, the answer was no and you can only amend the ticket only once. So you need a crystal ball or something to rebook at a later date, I need to return at weekend and tickets are only released a week before or worse for for sat/sundays so that’s me stuffed.
De Hems, now there is a place! I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Howardh

Established Member
My question was if I was put in lockdown would you refund the ticket, the answer was no and you can only amend the ticket only once. So you need a crystal ball or something to rebook at a later date, I need to return at weekend and tickets are only released a week before or worse for for sat/sundays so that’s me stuffed.
De Hems, now there is a place! I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Especially on King's Day! Yes, a train ticket is useless if you are in lockdown, but since the easing have people been told they can't leave a certain area (ie Leicester)? Not sure what the answer is, maybe it's a risk of a welcome day out vs. losing £60-odd on a train fare.

Perhaps, whilst in this pandemic, walk-on fares for off-peak trains should be capped at advance rates, so one can make a decision that day to travel? Might even fill the empty trains a bit.

Journeyman

Established Member
ScotRail is running 90% of services, but specifically is back to full service and train length at peak times.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So just Wales left running a somewhat restricted service then.
South Western Railway aren't running a full service yet and nor our Great Western Railway. It certainly isn't 90% I don't believe.

However I don't know what the percentages compared to the percentages in Wales.

westv

Established Member
It sounded like a reversal of their previous change where you could get a refund or fee free amendment for LNER AP tickets bought on their website.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It sounded like a reversal of their previous change where you could get a refund or fee free amendment for LNER AP tickets bought on their website.
It wouldn't be lawful for LNER as a retailer to abuse a dominant market position by only allowing this on fares bought through their website.

greyman42

Established Member
Have Cross Country got any plans to reinstate their north east/south east services?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see that South Western Railway are continuing their reduced timetable until at least 11 December 2020.

A reduced service is running on our network. Please check your journey before travelling and allow extra time to complete your journey.

Details on this page may change at short notice as we finalise the detailed timetables. Please check back regularly, as well as follow @SW_Help on Twitter, for the latest information. Service summaries are available below for:
Monday to Friday services from Monday 6 July 2020 until Friday 4 September 2020
Saturday 29 August 2020
Sunday 30 August 2020
Monday 31 August 2020
Monday to Friday services from Monday 7 September 2020 until Friday 11 December 2020

Given that is the case, will they still be allowing people to use other operators services along shared routes?

Are other TOCs also running reduced timetablea until then?

bramling

Veteran Member
I see that South Western Railway are continuing their reduced timetable until at least 11 December 2020.

Given that is the case, will they still be allowing people to use other operators services along shared routes?

Are other TOCs also running reduced timetablea until then?

I do wonder to what extent reduced timetables are a good idea. No doubt in some cases it may be forced due to factors such as shielding (whilst it may be officially over in reality it isn’t, though many are back now), and also the fact there’s been no training going on for six months.

Really the industry needs to be demonstrating “back to normal - we’re ready and waiting to take you safely to work”. Things like the Sadiq Khan blunder of announcing that services could be reduced to reflect reduced demand aren’t exactly encouraging people back to work, which is what the government’s main focus should be after schools return.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I do wonder to what extent reduced timetables are a good idea. No doubt in some cases it may be forced due to factors such as shielding (whilst it may be officially over in reality it isn’t, though many are back now), and also the fact there’s been no training going on for six months.

Really the industry needs to be demonstrating “back to normal - we’re ready and waiting to take you safely to work”. Things like the Sadiq Khan blunder of announcing that services could be reduced to reflect reduced demand aren’t exactly encouraging people back to work, which is what the government’s main focus should be after schools return.
It would appear South Western Railway themsleves are monitoring demand. So are they blundering in your eyes, like you think Sadiq Khan is?

Hi there, we are unable to advise at present. We are carefully monitoring the demand for services and we will update once this is back to normal. Apologies. ^AN

That followed a question on why is there no 7:20 from Haslemere to Portsmouth from 7 September, when the schools will be back. MinnieMcB seemed to think 7:50 will be busy and social distancing won't be posisble. I don't know if that will be the case.

I wonder if the TOCs get paid less if they run less trains? I know Boris wants us out there. I don't know what Grant Shaps thinks.

I guess if people aren't travelling, why run as many trains.

A quick look Realtime Trains if its correct seems to suggest that with Northern S&C restored to virtually normal timetable Bentham line still reduced, Calder Valley looks like the Normal Timetable, Leeds-Lincoln not restored, on TPE I think its already said there wont be many changes to the current timetable which on the North TPE is is 3 fast trains per hour instead of 5 plus an occasional Scarborough service running beyond York.

Jamiescott1

Chiltern have a new timetable from 7th September. Not back to pre covid level of service but getting there

infobleep

Veteran Member
So can we take it that companies who restore more of their timetable than others are seeing a greater increase of passenger numbers?

I see the ability to use other companies train services, where they share routes, is ending from 7 September, if you have a ticket restricted to one TOC. This is the case for South Western Railway at least. I don't know how this affects rail users and is probably veering to off topic here.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As the TFW thread has been locked, I will post this question and TFW Twitter reply here:-

Good morning. Every other train company is going back to pre covid levels and times in September. Why is tfw not. Please don't give me a pre scripted reply.
·
8h

Hi David, we are currently running a reduced timetable due to safety measures and a number of operational issues, with the Welsh Government easing lockdown in different ways and at a different rate in Wales. ^
Yet another TFW go it alone and the only TOC to close stations due to alleged social distancing problems

infobleep

Veteran Member
As the TFW thread has been locked, I will post this question and TFW Twitter reply here:-

Yet another TFW go it alone and the only TOC to close stations due to alleged social distancing problems

They aren't going it alone though. Other TOCs are still running reduced timetables in September. No idea on the percentage of trains running in September vers pre-covid-19 for different TOCs though.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

They are doing what they have been instructed to do by the Welsh Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.