• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retford-Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
How feasible would it to be extend the existing Nottingham-Worksop services through to Retford?

Not only would this provide a link between the only major town in Nottinghamshire that's missing a direct train to Nottingham, it would also provide connections to the ECML for much of the county that at present don't have them.

It seems ludicrous that the good people can travel to Leeds in half the time it takes to get to their county's major centre.

I know lack of stock probably will be an issue, but if that could be overcome, there must enough available paths between Worksop and Retford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
How feasible would it to be extend the existing Nottingham-Worksop services through to Retford?

Not only would this provide a link between the only major town in Nottinghamshire that's missing a direct train to Nottingham, it would also provide connections to the ECML for much of the county that at present don't have them.

It seems ludicrous that the good people can travel to Leeds in half the time it takes to get to their county's major centre.

I know lack of stock probably will be an issue, but if that could be overcome, there must enough available paths between Worksop and Retford.

EMT don't have Track Access to Retford and would have to go through a long drawn out process with the ORR. But, as you say, where would unit/s come from ?

GW43125

Established Member
[deleted] as I didn't actually read the question properly

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Do people need to have a link with their county town?

Doncaster, Sheffield and Lincoln (just) are nearer to Retford than Nottingham, so these larger service centres will be more attractive for Retfordians to visit, and by chance have good rail links.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Do people need to have a link with their county town?

Doncaster, Sheffield and Lincoln (just) are nearer to Retford than Nottingham, so these larger service centres will be more attractive for Retfordians to visit, and by chance have good rail links.

Well it's not just a county town is it, it's also the main city for the East Midlands.

Inevitably some people will have to travel to Nottingham as the county hall is there and the regional offices for some authorities. OK these numbers might be small, but I'm sure people would use a Nottingham service given the chance. Nottingham has more to offer than any of the places you've mentioned, and there must be demand from Bassetlaw as there's a direct train from Worksop.

Retford also has a 2-hourly bus service to Nottingham, though with a lengthy journey time. There is a weekly shopper service to Lincoln and no services to Sheffield. Worksop doesn't even have a direct bus to Sheffield. Only Doncaster has a regular service from Retford and that finishes before 6pm.

I think Retford deserves better.

Merthyr Imp

I tend to agree with what johnnychips says, that people in Retford would look more to Doncaster or Sheffield as their nearest major centre for shopping, etc.

But an interesting point is have there EVER been direct trains between Retford and Nottingham? I'm not sure the Midland or LMS ran to Retford. The only other possible routing that occurs to me is the GNR (later LNER) line from Nottingham via Bottesford to Newark, but I don't think services that way ran any further north than Newark, apart maybe from an occasional summer Saturday express to places such as Scarborough.

robbeech

Established Member
To be fair if they had more than 1 train per 2 hours on the ECML with a smattering of additional Hull Trains services call at Retford it would be a good starting point.

Retford to Nottingham is valid via Grantham averaging 90 minutes journey time during the week, all be it at a higher cost. But of course whilst there's at least one service Grantham to nottingham per hour (often 2 with the Skegness services and the Norwich/Liverpool services) the problem comes with the number of VTEC services that call at Retford.
Yes I'm biased because Retford is my nearest ECML station and I live near Worksop and I am known for going on about it frequently but you have to admit it is pretty poor.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
As an aside (and as has been noted elsewhere) from Dec17, Retford will enjoy twice as many trains to/from Sheffield as at present i.e. 1x fast, 1x slow per hour. Connections at Worksop to/from Robin Hood may be consequently somewhat better than at present. I'm not sure I see Retford <> Worksop warranting 3x per hour......

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
As an aside (and as has been noted elsewhere) from Dec17, Retford will enjoy twice as many trains to/from Sheffield as at present i.e. 1x fast, 1x slow per hour. Connections at Worksop to/from Robin Hood may be consequently somewhat better than at present. I'm not sure I see Retford <> Worksop warranting 3x per hour......

Is that December 2017? I ask because you're using "will" rather than "now".

HowMuch?

Worth pointing out, perhaps, that the new City Regions will be the local transport planners and funders in the future. And Worksop and Retford are supposed to be going to Sheffield City Region rather than Nottingham.

All a bit in limbo at the moment, though. The Sheffield City Region mayoral elections may be put back because a court said that the consultations on which boroughs would be included had not been done properly

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Worth pointing out, perhaps, that the new City Regions will be the local transport planners and funders in the future. And Worksop and Retford are supposed to be going to Sheffield City Region rather than Nottingham.

All a bit in limbo at the moment, though. The Sheffield City Region mayoral elections may be put back because a court said that the consultations on which boroughs would be included had not been done properly

If the good people of Bassetlaw have any sense, they'll go with the North Midlands proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.