• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retford Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Currently sitting on the 06.25 Edinburgh to Kings Cross service and stuck just North of Retford due to a freight train bringing the overhead wires down on the southbound line. Northbound unaffected and single line working to be implemented, delaysnot specified at present but could be substantial

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
just heard that, NR site estimating 60 min delays but think it will be longer as substantial number of services ahead. New it was going to be a bad day when the HST set was replaced by 91 plus Mk4, reserved seat completely opposite from asked now this
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting thing is appart from the Deltic deliverance the last big delay I had on the ECML was in 1974 when 55.013 failed at Morpeth now stuck on stock with 91.113 is that coincidence or what .

Failed Unit

Established Member
just heard that, NR site estimating 60 min delays but think it will be longer as substantial number of services ahead. New it was going to be a bad day when the HST set was replaced by 91 plus Mk4, reserved seat completely opposite from asked now this

The annoying thing that if you had the HST you would still be stuck as not enough drivers sign Lincoln to be useful. I found this out myself when sat on a HST at Doncaster for over 1 hour waiting for the ECML to be fixed, thinking in BRs day we would be on our way via Lincoln now. :oops:

Aictos

Established Member
Currently sitting on the 06.25 Edinburgh to Kings Cross service and stuck just North of Retford due to a freight train bringing the overhead wires down on the southbound line. Northbound unaffected and single line working to be implemented, delaysnot specified at present but could be substantial

How can a freight train bring the overheads down, 99.9% of freight between Doncaster and Peterborough is 66 hauled not forgetting the only service which is 92 hauled.

Just used to Electrics doing it but not Diesels.....

Failed Unit

Established Member
How can a freight train bring the overheads down, 99.9% of freight between Doncaster and Peterborough is 66 hauled not forgetting the only service which is 92 hauled.

I am sure they still have some class 90 hauled trains, but I suspect it was the 0540 Edinburgh - London that bought them down as it was the first one in the area. The Hull service made it and it is fairly close to it by Retford.

Mainliner

Guard reported it as a "loose roof panel" coming into contact with wires.

The 0625 from Edinburgh terminated at Doncaster, now on another one which has just left Doncaster. Will soon find out if single line working still in force, I guess.

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
This is a pain in proverbial! Trains from Leeds suspended and told to travel via Sheffield or Manchester. Glad I allowed plenty of time.

delt1c

Established Member
06.25 from Edinburgh terminated at Doncaster. Now cramed onto the 5.40 Edinburgh - KX estimated to be 120 mins late. Booked to return North on the 17.00 from Kings Cross so a hectic day.

Failed Unit

Established Member
06.25 from Edinburgh terminated at Doncaster. Now cramed onto the 5.40 Edinburgh - KX estimated to be 120 mins late. Booked to return North on the 17.00 from Kings Cross so a hectic day.

How did you get ahead of the 0540 Edinburgh - Kings Cross?

From a personal interest point of view to the GC, HT or East Coast crew,

If you have route knowledge and suitable traction, would they let you go via Lincoln or is that a hell freeze over diversion?

delt1c

Established Member
It gets better... there seems to be a temporary speed restriction popping up north of Newcastle too, due to safety checks.

cheer me up will be heading back north this evening

Aictos

Established Member
I am sure they still have some class 90 hauled trains, but I suspect it was the 0540 Edinburgh - London that bought them down as it was the first one in the area. The Hull service made it and it is fairly close to it by Retford.

Yes but there are NO Class 90 operated services on the ECML other then the odd charter - hope it gets cleared up soon.

GB

Established Member
It was 66535 on 4L87 that caused the problems. As mentioned above, there was a loose hatch that caused it to become out of gauge and strike the OLE.

tsr

Established Member
Due to the fact that service recovery is ongoing, delays of up to 60 minutes will occur into the afternoon, but looking at the number of trains currently running and the current levels of the delays, I'm (surprisingly) reasonably optimistic about the prospects for the later parts of the evening peak.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes but there are NO Class 90 operated services on the ECML other then the odd charter - hope it gets cleared up soon.

There is one 92 hauled train a day i think. It runs to Doncaster for an engine change.

EDIT - GB got there first - text removed to avoid duplication!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The annoying thing that if you had the HST you would still be stuck as not enough drivers sign Lincoln to be useful. I found this out myself when sat on a HST at Doncaster for over 1 hour waiting for the ECML to be fixed, thinking in BRs day we would be on our way via Lincoln now. :oops:

I'm presuming more crews now sign via Lincoln as the evening ECS from Lincoln to Neville Hill is booked via Gainsborough. Presuming the only problem would be knowledge of the curve at West Holmes, to avoid having to reverse via Lincoln Central.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I'm presuming more crews now sign via Lincoln as the evening ECS from Lincoln to Neville Hill is booked via Gainsborough. Presuming the only problem would be knowledge of the curve at West Holmes, to avoid having to reverse via Lincoln Central.

This is a frequent weekend diversion so I am sure a few will have it. As is Spalding recently but I think the number of drivers that sign that route is less. Not sure about the 67 drivers at Peterbourgh and Doncaster to drag some 91s round.

delt1c

Established Member
How did you get ahead of the 0540 Edinburgh - Kings Cross?

From a personal interest point of view to the GC, HT or East Coast crew,

If you have route knowledge and suitable traction, would they let you go via Lincoln or is that a hell freeze over diversion?
The 06.25 made an additional stop at Doncaster, where the 05.40 was still sitting in platform 1. The 06.25 was then terminated and everyone put on the 05.40, to make matters worse the air con had packed in and the coach was like a sauna , eventually arrived at Kings cross 13.20 146mins late

According to the disruption emails the only southbound to go via Gainsbrough was the 1A15 0728 HARROGATE-KX. Think it may have been a lack of HSTs rather than route knowledge which stopped more services doing the same.

onlydjw

The message I got said only 1A18 (dragged by 67024) and 1 Grand Central service ran via Gainsborough.

The issue is lack of 67's to drag very many 91's, and route knowledge (particularly Newcastle crews who don't sign that diversion).

Smod

Hi there. I was on a train which diverted via Gainsborough - I don't know the number.

I got to Doncaster intending to catch the 0945 Doncaster to London - which was cancelled. But the 0916 (0845 ex Leeds) was in the platform so I got this instead. I never saw a diesel attached - I assumed it was at the back but I may be wrong. Left Doncaster at around 0950, got to Newark around 1120 and then a clear run to Kings Cross (once the diesel was detached) getting in around 1250.

There was a very indistinct announcement about the diversion which puzzled a few passengers as they thought they had been told that the train was diverting via Swindon! I certainly thought it started with "S" so I was half expecting an extended diversion via Sleaford / Spalding - obviously not the case once we got to the Lincoln-Newark line.

We were also told as we left Doncaster that the estimated arrival time in Peterborough was 11.00 - somewhat optimistic I thought to myself...

Speaking with Doni platform staff today it seems all 3 services did the diversion, the Grand Central service had a Doncaster based EC driver up front with the GC driver for route knowledge. Swinderby was likely the the place you heard on the PA announcement.

Failed Unit

Established Member
What was the problem yesterday between Newark and Doncaster? Not a good week for ECML users. Although at times it feels like it is never a good week :(

philjo

Established Member
I was at Kings Cross at 5pm last night & there seemed to be a lack of EC trains in the station with the main train shed half empty and most of the trains that were there were FCC services.

The departure screens were scrolling a message at the bottom saying that the 17:19 Hull & 17:33 Harrogate services (both HSTs obviously) were being diverted between Newark & Doncaster due to signalling problems.

Aictos

Established Member
What was the problem yesterday between Newark and Doncaster? Not a good week for ECML users. Although at times it feels like it is never a good week :(

I believe that was major signalling failure in the Retford area, which affected East Coast, Grand Central and Hull Trains.

For much of the afternoon/evening, only 4 trains a hour were permitted to use the single line in use with Hull Trains operating a shuttle service between Hull and Doncaster.

I don't know if Grand Central did the same and ran a shuttle service between Bradford Interchange/Doncaster and Sunderland/York though.

That's all I know, sorry :(

Failed Unit

Established Member
I would be interested to know what the knowledge is of Hull trains and Grand Central staff is of the Lincoln route, I know in the evening Spalding isn't going to help much. But as they have Diesel stock and the frequency of problems it is looking like them all have route knowledge could be very helpful. I suspect that however even HT and GC would still suffer massive delays as they don't have spare stock massive delays would soon follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.