• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retford Station - Spotting / Photting

Status
Not open for further replies.

overtonchris

Hi Folks, just a quick one please. I've got to do a flying visit to Retford next week for work, though I'll have a bit of time to "do train things". I understand the station is on 2 levels. Can you ID the workings on the lower level from the upper level OK - or is it a bit like, say, Smethwick Galton Bridge where a fair bit of ducking and diving is required?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ryan125hst

Established Member
You won't be able to see the lower level platforms from the main line platforms, but if you stand towards the south end of Platform 1, it's only a short walk down to Platform 4 on the low level lines, so you should be able to get down there reasonably quickly (although freight might be a bit of a problem as I doubt you would get down there fast enough- they pass through at 40mph. You can position yourself where you can see trains on both lines- being on the low level platforms will allow this if you are at the ECML end, but I doubt you will be able to read the numbers if trains are going past at 125mph on the mainline when down there.

Here's the Station's Made Easy page by Network Rail:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_RET/plan.html?rtnloc=RET

overtonchris

Thank You Ryan....It's downstairs for me then....it's the freight that I'm most interested in. I did have a look at the NR stations bit earlier and couldn't work out from that - or a number of photos on line quite what you could see from where!!!

Cheers!

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm no spotter, but the footbridge between the two low level platforms certainly seemed to give a decent view of trains on both lines, though it's a few years since I've been there!

overtonchris

I'm no spotter, but the footbridge between the two low level platforms certainly seemed to give a decent view of trains on both lines, though it's a few years since I've been there!

Ah - Rightyho Tomnick I'll have a look see when I get there - I've got a bit of time to kill. The only time I've EVER been there is blatting through at umpteen mph on the ECML. Thank you for the thought.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thank You Ryan....It's downstairs for me then....it's the freight that I'm most interested in. I did have a look at the NR stations bit earlier and couldn't work out from that - or a number of photos on line quite what you could see from where!!!

Cheers!

In which case, yes, the lower level platforms will be best for you as there are regular coal trains to and from Cottom and West Burton power stations. There are freights on the ECML that pass through as well, particularly intermodals, but there is also a daily sand train for glassworks in Yorkshire and I think the odd steel train. I'm not an expert on freight to be honest.

Tomnick said:
but the footbridge between the two low level platforms certainly seemed to give a decent view of trains on both lines

I would agree, although i'm not 100% sure how tall the walls are on it. I only went over that footbridge in the Easter holidays. :oops:

Tomnick

Established Member
I think there were 58s on coal trains passing through when I was last there, so must have been a fair few years ago! I certainly don't remember any obstruction to my observation of both lines, but of course anything could have happened since then.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I think there were 58s on coal trains passing through when I was last there, so must have been a fair few years ago! I certainly don't remember any obstruction to my observation of both lines, but of course anything could have happened since then.

I don't even remember seeing the 58's! I know my Grandparents and Uncle went on a railtour from Worksop to Blair Atholl behind one in the early 2000's, but I don't recall ever seeing them personally.

I can remember the North of London Class 373's calling on the White Rose services to/from Leeds back in GNER days and the days of the Class 156 on the Lincoln services however.

LDECRexile

Established Member
If you go, please see the wall, approx six or seven feet high at the southern end of the southbound platform.

If you look carefully you may be able to see a spot worn smooth by my legs and shorts in the early 1960s.

We could leave our bikes for a Tanner (6d) at the garage opposite and climb onto the wall using the ladder on a lower quadrant calling-on (or "calling back") signal which was used when extra-long southbound stopping trains were sent some yards towards Gainsborough then had to reverse before going forward again, an exotic manoeuvre, especially if it was a Streak (A4 Pacific, such as Mallard.)

As the wall curved slightly eastwards there was a point from which it was possible to look Northwards and see southbound trains in the distance from round the back (ie roadside as opposed to trackside) of the station building. My party trick was to see what was coming and casually say "it's an A3" or "Streak coming" for which I was accorded Superhero status by my fellow ten-year-olds who didn't know how I knew, especially when I said I could tell by the rhythm of the wheels, long before anything was audible by man or beast.

Smarty-pants!

Happy days

7Pinza

Plenty of vantage points on the footbridge/lower level platforms where you can see everything. Can be a bit cold and bleak down there though (is that just me getting old?)

overtonchris

Thank you all for your replays - very useful and interesting. I'm really looking forward to this little trip (even though it's supposed to be work related (ahem))- and a new "shack" for me too scratch off too!!! Oh - and I don't mind the cold even though I'm a Southern Softie - I've got plenty of built-in padding these days!!:D

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If you're after different views for photos, there's a series of bridges to the W on the Worksop line, as far as the Whisker Hill (?) flying junction where the curve linking the ECML to the Worksop line comes across. Might need a map though.

overtonchris

If you're after different views for photos, there's a series of bridges to the W on the Worksop line, as far as the Whisker Hill (?) flying junction where the curve linking the ECML to the Worksop line comes across. Might need a map though.

Thank you - EWdivide - I'm going to have to stick fairly close to the station for my "free-time". Very appreciated all the same!!:D Have a good weekend!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to say thanks to all for the help on this one.....tried all the spots (apart from "whisker hill") and had a very interesting / productive couple of hours. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.