• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Cumbrian Coast Explorer - Sat 13 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.retrorailtours.co.uk/rt13.php

We are pleased to announce our July tour, taking you via the scenic Cumbrian Coast to the border city of Carlisle on Saturday 11th July. This very special tour, which is being run in conjunction with the Friends of New Mills & Marple stations is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the two stations.

The train will serve both Marple and New Mills, before continuting to Hyde Central, and stations in Lancashire and West Yorkshire, before continuing over the Calder Valley line, and onwards to Preston. After Carnforth, the train will take the scenic Cumbrian Coast route, with it's imposing scenery and fantastic view of the Irish Sea. The train will arrive in Carlisle at approximately midday, where you will have just under 4 hours to explore the historic city. The train will return via the Shap route, with fantastic views of the Cumbrian fells as we descend towards Lancaster....

Note there are reduced fares of 10% off (ie, adult standard class £63) for anyone who is also booked on the June tour to Skegness.

Any forum members wishing to book on this are welcome to contact me for a special fare.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The stations that the train will be calling at en-route to & from Carlisle are as follows:

• New Mills Central
  • Marple
  • Hyde Central
  • Ashton-under-Lyne
  • Stalybridge
  • Huddersfield
  • Brighouse
  • Sowerby Bridge

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

Bit of an early start from New Mills Central!

Mind you, it does seem to be routed via the South-to-East part of the Philips Park triangle, a piece of track I have never traversed, en route from Hyde to Ashton. Such a shame that the OAGB route isn't still open for a much shorter route to Ashton.

When it says "Calder Valley line onwards to Preston", I guess this means over Copy Pit to Burnley rather than staying on Calder Valley route right back to Manchester Victoria.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes the wording could be tweaked. Its Calder Valley then Copy Pit.
When it says "Calder Valley line onwards to Preston", I guess this means over Copy Pit to Burnley rather than staying on Calder Valley route right back to Manchester Victoria.
Yes that's right, Calder Valley then Copy Pit.

I've tweaked the wording; how does this sound?
The train will serve both Marple and New Mills, before proceeding to Hyde Central, and stations in Lancashire and West Yorkshire, continuing through the Calder Valley and Copy Pit, and onwards to Preston...

The Snap

Established Member
If this is taking Phillips Park junction to get from Hyde to Ashton, it must be also taking the route behind the TPE depot at Ardwick and past the Etihad stadium? If so that's some unusual track for those who need to tick it off the list!

oddiesjack

Yes the wording could be tweaked. Its Calder Valley then Copy Pit.

Yes that's right, Calder Valley then Copy Pit.

I've tweaked the wording; how does this sound?

I noticed that someone had added "then Copy Pit", which is much better I think.

Thank you.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If this is taking Phillips Park junction to get from Hyde to Ashton, it must be also taking the route behind the TPE depot at Ardwick and past the Etihad stadium? If so that's some unusual track for those who need to tick it off the list!
That's correct, yes.

I noticed that someone had added "then Copy Pit", which is much better I think.

Thank you.
Yes, that someone is me ;):lol:

Crossover

Established Member

It was done on the last Retro as well - it is getting a bit common ;)

oddiesjack

I have just had a look at the route for that Retro Shakespearian Tug.

It obviously took the "sensible" route from Stalybridge to Stockport outbound, but can't understand why on the return it went all round the houses via Philips Park. Or was this for the track-bashing fraternity?

table38

Established Member

It obviously took the "sensible" route from Stalybridge to Stockport outbound, but can't understand why on the return it went all round the houses via Philips Park. Or was this for the track-bashing fraternity?

It was a pathing thing; I believe that, rather than a long fester elsewhere, the planners thought it'd we'd prefer the circular detour instead :)

Crossover

Established Member

It was a pathing thing; I believe that, rather than a long fester elsewhere, the planners thought it'd we'd prefer the circular detour instead :)

What table38 said, plus also probably avoided having to stuff up Guide Bridge for a while whilst we were cleared for and passed over the flat junction through Guide Bridge station and on towards Stalybridge. Doing the line from Denton to Philips Park and then round to Ardwick saved doing that - I recall we may have been held at the junction for a while too, probably to let a TPE pass. Besides which, it was a nice bonus!

billh

So, did anyone spot the unexpected addition on the return leg? ;)

The pies had to be warmed somehow and there was no tea on the outward journey. Very serious problem that! Thankfully resolved with 3000HP on the back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There was air conditioning in all but one of the Mk2 coaches on the way back, I believe.

Crossover

Established Member
It felt like we had Air con but on the way back only.

There was air conditioning in all but one of the Mk2 coaches on the way back, I believe.

Yep, I believe so - the droplights were a bit of a godsend on the way up - problem was after standing in the vestibule, one didn't want to go back to the main part of the coach!

Looks like they managed to keep the batteries going for lights in the problem coach even right back to Marple

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yep, I believe so - the droplights were a bit of a godsend on the way up - problem was after standing in the vestibule, one didn't want to go back to the main part of the coach!

Looks like they managed to keep the batteries going for lights in the problem coach even right back to Marple
Yes I belive that Mr Blackwatch was keeping guard on the way back to turn on the emergency lighting if they went though a tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.