• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Shakespearean Tug: Bank Holiday Monday 25 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Ooh a 60. Shame I'm at work that day, I might have to enquire about a leap of desperation from Leeds to somewhere like Huddersfield :(

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Considering this trip as an early 60th for my mum (nice blend of diesel haulage with somewhere she will want to visit!) how have people found Premier Dining?

Which coaching rake do Retro normally use?

paul1609

Established Member
Considering this trip as an early 60th for my mum (nice blend of diesel haulage with somewhere she will want to visit!) how have people found Premier Dining?

Which coaching rake do Retro normally use?

Whilst i can see the attraction of Stratford a birthday dinner exploring rubbish strewn freight only lines of the West midlands? You spoil her!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Me and my mum did the premier dinning option on the last tour to Edinburgh and it was fantastic the food was loverly and the staff could not have been more helpfull

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Whilst i can see the attraction of Stratford a birthday dinner exploring rubbish strewn freight only lines of the West midlands? You spoil her!

Well my mum can't make it, but I will be treating my wife to a wonderful bit of freight only lineage. Good thing she has her Baker's and coloured pencils to hand then!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Well my mum can't make it, but I will be treating my wife to a wonderful bit of freight only lineage. Good thing she has her Baker's and coloured pencils to hand then!

It wont be the first tour where a Rail Atlas has shared places with crockery on a table in dining! A couple of years ago, UK Railtours ran a Christmas tour to Ludgershall that was dining only, and there was around a coach worth of people on it largely for the track, including myself and 33056 off this forum.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Actually our tastes are not so fancy, we'll be "slumming it" in first class and just enjoying whatever food we can get onboard for the ride home.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Great a 6am start, not a particularly fun way to start a Bank Holiday Monday!

D6700

Great a 6am start, not a particularly fun way to start a Bank Holiday Monday!

Unfortunately, it was always going to be leaving around that time. The original advertised times were unrealistic...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually our tastes are not so fancy, we'll be "slumming it" in first class and just enjoying whatever food we can get onboard for the ride home.

If I remember rightly, there's a Morrison's supermarket very close to the station, so you might be able to put together a good picnic for the way back.

Useful little leap in the morning before going to do the Scarborough Spa express, hopefully with 47245.

D1733

The North Warks is quite scenic so not all the journey is ugly feight lines :) i live very close to the line, most stations are painted up in GWR colours with original station buildings :) enjoy the trip!, i will be going to see it :)

Crossover

Established Member
Saw the train on its return journey this evening pass our house approximately 0.5 miles south of Reddish South bang on time at 19.43. How many forum members on board?

Quite a reasonable number of us - excellent, if not a little soggy, day out - I think I have just about dried out from a soaking in Stratford some 7 hours ago!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Sometime after 23.00hrs I heard a 66 heading southbound (or In Stockport direction) with what sounded like passenger stock (some with slight wheel flats)unfortunately couldn't get my head off the pillow in time to reach the window to see it. Wasn't a 66 on the ecs back to Crewe by any chance?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was certainly nice to see some traditional Great Western station architecture yesterday. A prelude to my hols !

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sometime after 23.00hrs I heard a 66 heading southbound (or In Stockport direction) with what sounded like passenger stock (some with slight wheel flats)unfortunately couldn't get my head off the pillow in time to reach the window to see it. Wasn't a 66 on the ecs back to Crewe by any chance?
Could that have been this?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That's interesting, timed to run a few minutes before the Retro ecs was due and why to Cheadle Hulme? thanks for that Yorkie.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thought you were more Southern green and Exmouth Junc.Pre-cast concrete biased Rob?;)

You are correct with the Southern Green and Exmouth Jnc's finest produce. However, I do enjoy a bit of "exotic" scenery on my holidays ;):D

Crossover

Established Member
There is a video on YouTube by one of our forum members, Simon Poole, who braved the weather to film us in both directions from Rugeley Town station. At 1:57 I am stood (also braving the weather!) at the window looking out for Simon, though he didn't see me!

[youtube]GBP4F-WI7g4[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.