• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retrofitting high intensity lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
It has been discussed elsewhere that new trains with high intensity headlights will not have to have yellow ends - is it likely that many current trains will be refitted with these headlights and therefore be exempt from this rule?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
It has been discussed elsewhere that new trains with high intensity headlights will not have to have yellow ends - is it likely that many current trains will be refitted with these headlights and therefore be exempt from this rule?

I don't know the exact specification of light (lumens, etc) that is required for there to be no need for a yellow end, but most stock these days already has what I would describe as high intensity headlights. However, I would be surprised if any TOC seeks to remove yellow ends at anything other than major livery changes, and, even then there may be sense in keeping yellow for added visibility (in the very rare event of complete lighting failure, for example). I think the first example of the removal of the yellow ends is likely to be the restored Brighton Belle unit.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I don't see why. I can't think of any reason to be desperate to get rid of yellow warning panels. I think that we will gradually see a reduction in their usage on new stock, but that's about it.

CosherB

Established Member

It is likely that no current trains will be retrofitted as there is no regulatory requirement to fit these to current stock. So why would a ROSCO/TOC pay money unnecessarily to change the lighting systems to then pay more money unnecessarily to repaint the front ends of their stock? Complete non-starter I'd say!

AM9

Veteran Member
It is likely that no current trains will be retrofitted as there is no regulatory requirement to fit these to current stock. So why would a ROSCO/TOC pay money unnecessarily to change the lighting systems to then pay more money unnecessarily to repaint the front ends of their stock? Complete non-starter I'd say!

Except maybe VT who regard train visual presentation very highly. The yellow on Pendolinos is the minimum that needed to be applied so they may see it as an opportunity to improve* the appearance of the stock at a future refres/refurbishment/mid-life refit.

* There are some with a rail interest that see the yellow fromts as aesthetically correct, but I doubt that most of the general travelling passenger would see it as more attractive than an integrated livery.

Deepgreen

Established Member
One type of stock which has had lower-intensity headlights until now has been the Southern class 455s. However, I noticed 455805 at East Croydon yesterday, sporting a dazzling new light, to bring it in line with the SWT examples. I don't know if this is an experiment/trial or the start of a retro-fit programme. Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 93

ash39

Established Member
Virgin have fitted higher intensity LED headlights to a couple of Class 91's and DVT's, but these still won't meet the regulations for no yellow as there's no central top headlight.

Suspect this was probably more to do with longer lifespan bulbs or assisting with night driving rather than any aesthetic aspirations.

CosherB

Established Member
Virgin have fitted higher intensity LED headlights to a couple of Class 91's and DVT's, but these still won't meet the regulations for no yellow as there's no central top headlight.

Suspect this was probably more to do with longer lifespan bulbs or assisting with night driving rather than any aesthetic aspirations.

Similar story with AGA's Class 90s and DVTs over the last few years.

Erniescooper

BMAC who seem to be the main suppliers of headlight units in the UK stopped making their Halogen lighting unit a few years ago and will only now supply a HID unit which means a slow conversion over to high intensity lighting as lighting units fail or are smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.