• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return of the Camping Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanley 59

A Mk3 coach has recently appeared in the garden of a property close to the old Stannington station. According to the Northumberland planning portal, the coach is going to be converted into two holiday lets.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw it for the first time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UrieS15

They've been back ages on the Whitby lines. Hawsker Station has an ex-sleeper which has been on a tv ad iirc and the Normanby estate has installed a coach and baggage van at Sandsend Station for their guests or maybe only for the serfs.

Swanley 59

They've been back ages on the Whitby lines. Hawsker Station has an ex-sleeper which has been on a tv ad iirc and the Normanby estate has installed a coach and baggage van at Sandsend Station for their guests or maybe only for the serfs.
The Whitby line coaches may have the idyllic scenery and blissful tranquility of the Esk Valley to tempt customers. The Stannington "campers" have the guaranteed 6:45 wake-up call of a 66 on the northbound containers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A Mk3 coach has recently appeared in the garden of a property close to the old Stannington station. According to the Northumberland planning portal, the coach is going to be converted into two holiday lets.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw it for the first time.

There are lots of them around the country, though more often Mk1s. I've stayed in one near Ironbridge.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm fairly sure I saw something on telly (no idea which programme) about someone that had a camping coach in the far north. From memory it was an early Mk2.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm fairly sure I saw something on telly (no idea which programme) about someone that had a camping coach in the far north. From memory it was an early Mk2.
That will be Rogart Station.
Excellent place as below link. I've stayed there and can highly recommend it. Spotlessly clean, v comfy. Mk2 ex east anglian routes I think as complete with some of the nice Eddie Pond NSE carriage artwork as seen in this link.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That will be Rogart Station.
Excellent place as below link. I've stayed there and can highly recommend it. Spotlessly clean, v comfy. Mk2 ex east anglian routes I think as complete with some of the nice Eddie Pond NSE carriage artwork as seen in this link.
Yes, that's it!

Taunton

Established Member
Camping coaches had no plumbing, and relied on the station platform toilets, presumably with lighting left on all night. I don't know what they did for showers etc.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Camping coaches had no plumbing, and relied on the station platform toilets, presumably with lighting left on all night. I don't know what they did for showers etc.
I think in many cases people would have relied on local lakes and rivers and the 'all over body wash with flannel' back in the day.

But I think you often got a local rover ticket with your booking, so you could maybe head to a local town to use public baths if you really insisted on cleanliness :lol:

6Gman

Established Member
And part of the welcoming process was the handover of a key so that a penny in the slot was not required.

:D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think in many cases people would have relied on local lakes and rivers and the 'all over body wash with flannel' back in the day.

But I think you often got a local rover ticket with your booking, so you could maybe head to a local town to use public baths if you really insisted on cleanliness :lol:
Presumably the ones at Dawlish Warren were particularly sought-after, being just a short walk down the beach to the sea...

John Luxton

Established Member
Presumably the ones at Dawlish Warren were particularly sought-after, being just a short walk down the beach to the sea...

Originally were these not private facilities for the British Railways Staff Association? They were sold a few years go and now trade as the Brunel Holiday Park.

thesignalman

Did showers even exist in those days? Certainly the type of people that would have used camping coaches wouldn't know what a shower was.

John

Taunton

Established Member
Did showers even exist in those days? Certainly the type of people that would have used camping coaches wouldn't know what a shower was.
Did your school not have unheated showers in the games changing room? Going through was compulsory. Ugh!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Are any actually sitting on rails? Or have most been stripped and completely converted so they hardly seem like carriages?

I fancy a DoSto, double-decker, with room for my staff downstairs %) I estimate a floor area of 50m2 or more, a decent small flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.