• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Returning to a different destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordeh

Despite using this forum for almost 2 years and reading frequently through some of the tricky scenarios I've been left stumped at my own rather simple one :p

I'm planning on getting an Off-Peak Day Return (£10.30) for the 16:57 Long Eaton > Sheffield.

I'll be returning late however and no trains run from Sheffield to Long Eaton in the late evening. With the Off-Peak Day Return from Long Eaton to Sheffield, will I be able to get the 11:21 to Derby or (preferably) the 11:38 to Nottingham?

Many thanks for any help :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I'm assuming you mean the 2321 and 2338 respectively? Yes to Derby, no to Nottingham, I think. Not 100% certain.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Your ticket is valid by any permitted route from Sheffield to Long Eaton. Via Derby is the shortest route so is obviously permitted.

The Routeing Guide shows mapped routes from Sheffield to Derby Group (of which Long Eaton is a member) as being valid via map SY. This includes via Nottingham, so that is fine too.

The off-peak day return from Long Eaton to Sheffield allows you to break your journey or end short at a station short of your destination, so it is fine to stop at either Derby or Nottingham.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Via Derby is fine.

Because Long Eaton is part of Derby Group, travel is permitted via Nottingham on map SY.

island

Veteran Member
That feels very double-backish, but there doesn't appear to be any stations you would pass through twice so it's fine.

sonic2009

Established Member
That feels very double-backish, but there doesn't appear to be any stations you would pass through twice so it's fine.

You wouldn't double back through any station if you travelled via Nottingham.

Long Eaton - Attenborough - Beeston - Nottingham - Alfreton - Langley Mill - Chesterfield

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gnolife

Established Member

Long Eaton - Attenborough - Beeston - Nottingham - Alfreton - Langley Mill - Chesterfield

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

[Pedant] Long Eaton - Attenborough - Beeston - Nottingham - Langley Mill - Alfreton - Chesterfield [/pedant]

John @ home

Established Member

Some Nottingham - Chesterfield services are routed via Attenborough and Toton Centre, giving:
Long Eaton - Attenborough - Beeston - Nottingham - Beeston - Attenborough - Attenborough Jn - Toton Centre - Alfreton - Langley Mill - Chesterfield
But that doubling back is Permitted because Nottingham Group comprises Attenborough, Beeston and Nottingham.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Indeed this is the preferred option sometimes when travelling to/from Nottingham, as many Nottingham flows tend to have a premium attached to the fare, whereas equivalent Derby flows (where Long Eaton prices are derived from) don't.

button_boxer

Established Member
Indeed this is the preferred option sometimes when travelling to/from Nottingham, as many Nottingham flows tend to have a premium attached to the fare, whereas equivalent Derby flows (where Long Eaton prices are derived from) don't.

It sometimes works the other way too. For example, Sheffield to Derby SOR is £33 (or more sensibly SDS one way plus CDS the other is £29.20), but Sheffield to Nottingham SOR is valid via Derby and only £22.

MichaelAMW

Particularly harsh, and a journey I sometimes do, is the difference between the fares to Crewe from Beeston (me) and Long Eaton, which are £31.30 and 18.10 respectively, for the off-peak return!

P.S. Skylink bus at 0105 from Broadmarsh bus station wil get you home... eventually!!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It sometimes works the other way too. For example, Sheffield to Derby SOR is £33 (or more sensibly SDS one way plus CDS the other is £29.20), but Sheffield to Nottingham SOR is valid via Derby and only £22.

Agreed that it is not an absolute, however it is always worth checking Derby fares if travelling to/from Nottingham in a northerly or southerly direction as tickets are mostly valid equally to/via Nottingham and Derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.